Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

N00B in the house. Suspension and steering issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default N00B in the house. Suspension and steering issues

hey guys. I admit - I'm a n00b. I just bought a 1987 Cherokee and something feels off with the steering/suspension. When the vehicle hits a bump - especially if turning - the car seems to jolt laterally/sideways - as opposed to up and down.

I haven't experienced "death wobble" but it's definitely unsettling.

Can you guys give me some pointers on what to look for?

I haven't found anything in the suspension that's obviously loose. The car makes no knocking noises going over bumps. There are no obvious signs of wear.

Thanks!

Last edited by IRMB; 07-02-2018 at 08:22 PM.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

Have someone turn the steering wheel while you watch the trackbar at the axle. If it shifts, the bolt hole is ovaled. It happens. Could be anything causing it, really.

Heres a visual.

Old 07-03-2018, 09:12 AM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996

Cool Jeep!

This topic can get involved. Considering the age of the vehicle. But I'll start by saying that due to the design of the steering/suspension, it is normal for the wheels to turn (lateral jolt) when hitting bumps. As the axle moves up/down the distance between the steering gear and axle shortens/lengthens, so there will be lateral jolts in the steering as you hit bumps. This is called "bump steer" and on stock vehicles is pretty subtle. On lifted vehicles without some specialty parts it can be quite severe.

Yours looks pretty stock, so I think you have a cheap option to checkout first. Try simply replacing your front shocks and steering damper. For shocks that won't break the bank you might look at OE Spectra by Monroe. My guess is that your front end is bouncy due to old springs and shocks. New shocks and steering damper (a shock for your steering) will help to reduce the "jolt" as it travels up through the system. These are not the only components implicated, for example, the steering gear plays an important role in reducing jolts to the steering system. But I'm trying to give you something you can do right away at a reasonable cost, and something that even if you do more later will not have been wasteful.

To really tighten things up, it is probably time for that particular vehicle to have the front end refreshed. (upper/lower control arms, ball joints, all tie rods and ends, and steering gear). Surprisingly, on a XJ, redoing the front end is rather affordable and not that difficult. But only if you do it yourself. A shop will charge a ton because of the labor involved. But the parts are plentiful and cheap. I rebuilt my front end (minus the steering gear) but including new steering knuckles for around $500 and about 5 hours of work.
Old 07-03-2018, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by jordan96xj
Cool Jeep!

This topic can get involved. Considering the age of the vehicle. But I'll start by saying that due to the design of the steering/suspension, it is normal for the wheels to turn (lateral jolt) when hitting bumps. As the axle moves up/down the distance between the steering gear and axle shortens/lengthens, so there will be lateral jolts in the steering as you hit bumps. This is called "bump steer" and on stock vehicles is pretty subtle. On lifted vehicles without some specialty parts it can be quite severe.

Yours looks pretty stock, so I think you have a cheap option to checkout first. Try simply replacing your front shocks and steering damper. For shocks that won't break the bank you might look at OE Spectra by Monroe. My guess is that your front end is bouncy due to old springs and shocks. New shocks and steering damper (a shock for your steering) will help to reduce the "jolt" as it travels up through the system. These are not the only components implicated, for example, the steering gear plays an important role in reducing jolts to the steering system. But I'm trying to give you something you can do right away at a reasonable cost, and something that even if you do more later will not have been wasteful.

To really tighten things up, it is probably time for that particular vehicle to have the front end refreshed. (upper/lower control arms, ball joints, all tie rods and ends, and steering gear). Surprisingly, on a XJ, redoing the front end is rather affordable and not that difficult. But only if you do it yourself. A shop will charge a ton because of the labor involved. But the parts are plentiful and cheap. I rebuilt my front end (minus the steering gear) but including new steering knuckles for around $500 and about 5 hours of work.
Great info! I am gunna have the tires checked - I think they're old. Possibly new tires, an alignment. and having a shop look at the suspension.

Who would you recommend I look at buying the suspension stuff from?

Thanks, CD
Old 07-03-2018, 01:49 PM

and BTW, I'm not afraid of buying nicer shocks. If there's something I should buy, please let me know!
Old 07-03-2018, 02:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996

Originally Posted by IRMB
and BTW, I'm not afraid of buying nicer shocks. If there's something I should buy, please let me know!

Unfortunately, that is like asking "which motor oil is best". So I was just throwing a run-of-the-mill option out there. The OE Spectra line is Monroe's line right above their cheapest option. They run about $40/each. I've used them a couple of times on the Jeep and thought they were a decent value for the price (I don't like to recommend things I know nothing about). Bilstein shocks are the ones everybody talks about, but I don't have any experience with them.
Old 07-03-2018, 02:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

Originally Posted by IRMB
Great info! I am gunna have the tires checked - I think they're old. Possibly new tires, an alignment. and having a shop look at the suspension.

Who would you recommend I look at buying the suspension stuff from?

Thanks, CD
A lot of folks like the brand Moog for suspension components. You can buy parts online at Amazon or Rockauto or locally at a parts retailer like Advance Auto or O'reillys. The advantage of local buying is they usually give you a lifetime warranty, the disadvantage is the parts are more expensive. Online retailers like Amazon or Rockauto are much cheaper, but you have to wait for delivery and warranties are through the manufacturer rather than the retailer.
Old 07-03-2018, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by jordan96xj
Unfortunately, that is like asking "which motor oil is best". So I was just throwing a run-of-the-mill option out there. The OE Spectra line is Monroe's line right above their cheapest option. They run about $40/each. I've used them a couple of times on the Jeep and thought they were a decent value for the price (I don't like to recommend things I know nothing about). Bilstein shocks are the ones everybody talks about, but I don't have any experience with them.
I've just had a bad experience with Monroe. With my 2008 Pathfinder, Monroe shocks would bottom out on Hwy 13 in Oakland. This is a regular Highway. The shocks were garbage.

I'm not wheeling this Jeep - just errands and camping trips. Comfort is more important than wheeling in my case.

Thanks again. CD