Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Mysterious knocking from the transmission? Still driving fine!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Mysterious knocking from the transmission? Still driving fine!?

Yeah so I'm not a huge enthusiast or anything but I do like jeeps and the fact that the older ones are simple, tough, and reliable, with decent fuel economy. So I bought my friends white 93 Cherokee Sport, knowing it has some issues. I really like the looks, handling, and preformance of my jeep and the fact that my friend whom I bought it off of has only had it break down ONCE in four years of ownership due to an altinator failure. Anyways back on topic: About 10 months about a mysterious and relatively loud knocking starting coming from the transmission, and it really makes the jeep sound 'crumby' even though it hasn't affected the preformance or handling at ALL, nor has the knocking gotten any worse. The knocking sound ONLY starts when you put the transmission in drive, but the knocking doesnt seem to increase with RPMS, it just stays at a relatively consistant volume and pace. When driving down the road you can barely hear it in the cab. Crazy stuff! What could it be?

Also I assume the ujoints need replacing, because when I turn sharp it makes a gross "clunk crunch crank" sound, and 4WD has the same gross sound. Atleast I hope its just the ujoints! I cant wait to go offroading once I've gotten it running good again!
Old 05-17-2009, 07:15 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by redman0123
Yeah so I'm not a huge enthusiast or anything but I do like jeeps and the fact that the older ones are simple, tough, and reliable, with decent fuel economy. So I bought my friends white 93 Cherokee Sport, knowing it has some issues. I really like the looks, handling, and preformance of my jeep and the fact that my friend whom I bought it off of has only had it break down ONCE in four years of ownership due to an altinator failure. Anyways back on topic: About 10 months about a mysterious and relatively loud knocking starting coming from the transmission, and it really makes the jeep sound 'crumby' even though it hasn't affected the preformance or handling at ALL, nor has the knocking gotten any worse. The knocking sound ONLY starts when you put the transmission in drive, but the knocking doesnt seem to increase with RPMS, it just stays at a relatively consistant volume and pace. When driving down the road you can barely hear it in the cab. Crazy stuff! What could it be?

Also I assume the ujoints need replacing, because when I turn sharp it makes a gross "clunk crunch crank" sound, and 4WD has the same gross sound. Atleast I hope its just the ujoints! I cant wait to go offroading once I've gotten it running good again!
More than likely your torque converter bolts have came loose. My last XJ had the same problem and the bolts just wouldn't stay tightened. I tried using loc-tite and they'd still find a way to back out. Also, that does sound like U-Joints but are you sure that it's not the tires rubbing the lca's(lower control arm's) or tie rod ends? Hope this helps!
Old 05-17-2009, 08:08 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 242 6cyl

X2......

I'll bet any amount of money that the converter bolt's came loose it hapened to me and i had the same problem's you might be able to get your hand up there and tighten the bolts......
Old 05-17-2009, 11:12 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 01
Engine: 4.0L I6

tranny mount?
Old 05-17-2009, 11:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you check the torque converter bolts, also check the flexplate for cracks. Even the small barely visible cracks can be far worse at the bolts to the crank. Here is an example of what tiny cracks turn into from my 91.

Name:  Flexplate 001.jpg
Views: 1925
Size:  97.4 KB
Old 05-18-2009, 12:05 AM

Engine: 242 6cyl

^^^^

Ouch......
Old 05-18-2009, 12:43 AM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0

is the flex plate a dealer only part? mine mikes the same noise and im sure its cracked..also how much does this part cost?
Old 05-18-2009, 01:05 AM

Yeah i'd be interested to see how much it is myself. I'll definately check the plate out tommorow morning. Is it an expensive peice to replace? My father is a journeyman mechanic so I get labour for free (well, at the cost of a case of beer)
Old 05-18-2009, 01:19 AM

PS: The "clunk crunch clank" sound that happens in 4x4 and when I turn sharp DOESNT feed back into the steering or handling so I dont think its anything with the steering... probably the ujoints, no?