Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

More Tranny Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 10:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994 Jeep Cherokee Sport

Hey Guys,

I need some serious advice, my transfer case has a small leak, and there's a small leak where the tranny meets the engine (not losing fluid whenever I check dipstick, fluid looks decent, recently replaced). Clunking into reverse (I know, tranny mount, or u-joint), also a little clunk when downshifting from 3rd to 2nd. Shifting is a little hard from 1st to 2nd. Now this has been going on a while but I took it to 2 shops and they both said a rebuild. Going to another this week. Im a cautious person in general (I'm a Manhattanite for crying out loud) but I don't trust them. Please advise. Also, please tell me what you think about lubegard and Lucas tranny fix. She's a good Jeep, never left me stranded...still young, going with plenty of life left (only 158,000 miles on a '94).

Guys: Thanks for your kindness.

Last edited by WomanNeedsJeepExpertise; 02-22-2015 at 10:54 PM.
Old 02-23-2015, 02:02 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Have you adjusted the TV cable? It has a direct effect on line pressure, shift firmness, shift quality.
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/free-quick-fix-41821/

The leaks you can either live with, or change seals. Can't really diagnose much further until someone checks the trans mount and u-joints. (Might not have a transmission problem at all)

LubeGuard and/or Lucas? Neither will fix the underlying problems, if there are any. Lucas thickens the fluid and jacks the operating pressures way up. It can get you a few more miles out of a slipping transmission. It can also blow marginal seals right out.
LubeGuard doesn't do much at all unless you have a varnish problem or used substandard ATF.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

It sounds like you're XJ is in decent shape and for sure low mileage on it. This is what I would do if I didn't have a shop/tools/knowledge to repair and replace those.

Call several transmission shops and find a couple of them who offer free repair estimates (detailed) on trans & transfer case and all related items needed for repair.

Once you have those in hand then you can check what parts they plan on replacing on the most lists. At that point call around for a repair shop for the best price using what information you have gained. Be aware these are all "Estimates Only" and once inside will you know the true price of the job for extra parts/labor involved.

This is about the only way I know of to save a few dollars either having it done or doing the work yourself and knowledge of prices and labor.

Good luck and I hope you can get by with less money involved out of your pocket.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

No such thing as tranny in a can...Transmissions dont clunk ujoints mounts and rear axles do. Id try adjusting the detent cable also. As for the leak wether its oil or trans fluid its deff a time for some help here girl....If shop wont just fix the leak go some where else .

Last edited by freegdr; 02-23-2015 at 05:53 AM.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by freegdr
No such thing as tranny in a can...Transmissions dont clunk ujoints mounts and rear axles do. Id try adjusting the detent cable also. As for the leak wether its oil or trans fluid its deff a time for some help here girl....If shop wont just fix the leak go some where else .
What type of shop specifically? Do I need to focus on a tranny shop? Also, doesn't the tranny need to come down to get to the transfer case?
Old 02-23-2015, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by Radi
Have you adjusted the TV cable? It has a direct effect on line pressure, shift firmness, shift quality. https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/free-quick-fix-41821/ The leaks you can either live with, or change seals. Can't really diagnose much further until someone checks the trans mount and u-joints. (Might not have a transmission problem at all) LubeGuard and/or Lucas? Neither will fix the underlying problems, if there are any. Lucas thickens the fluid and jacks the operating pressures way up. It can get you a few more miles out of a slipping transmission. It can also blow marginal seals right out. LubeGuard doesn't do much at all unless you have a varnish problem or used substandard ATF.
What type of shop checks tranny mount (tranny shop) and u-joints (tire shops)? How much are we talking OOP?
Old 02-23-2015, 07:07 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

What's the fluid look like/smell like in the trans?

Adjust the TV cable yourself first.

Have a regular repair shop check your trans mounts/engine mounts/u joints.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by cruiser54
What's the fluid look like/smell like in the trans? Adjust the TV cable yourself first. Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0di1z5j1fU Have a regular repair shop check your trans mounts/engine mounts/u joints.
I'll have meineke check it out. Here's a picture of the fluid...smells fine, and looks good to me...
Attached Thumbnails More Tranny Help Please-image-1536951304.jpg  
Old 02-23-2015, 11:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1991
Engine: 1999 4.0L

Originally Posted by WomanNeedsJeepExpertise
I need some serious advice, my transfer case has a small leak
Where is the leak and how much? The slip yoke is lubricated by the transfer case so a slight loss from the rear output shaft is not uncommon, but it should not leak when parked beyond a drip or two. That can be fixed with a new seal just by removing the driveshaft and the tail cone (three bolts), so its a pretty simple job. If you have leaks from the seam between the case halves then thats a bigger job but still pretty simple, DIY if you are willing. Other leaks can be much worse.

there's a small leak where the tranny meets the engine (not losing fluid whenever I check dipstick, fluid looks decent, recently replaced).
Transmission fluid? That is either the torque converter or the input shaft seal. You need to pull the transmission either way. You do not need a full rebuild for either of them.

Clunking into reverse (I know, tranny mount, or u-joint), also a little clunk when downshifting from 3rd to 2nd. Shifting is a little hard from 1st to 2nd.
I would check the throttle valve cable as others have suggested. Also check your motor and trans mounts. Just crawl under the jeep with a flashlight and a screwdriver, and look for separation in the rubber. The transmission mount is on the center crossmember, hard to reach but you can see it good enough for this. You can check u-joint play by grabbing the driveshaft and try to wiggle it around.

As for rebuild... Transmissions use hydraulic pressure for most of what they do. Seals that hold the pressure can shrink, or dirty fluid doesn't let a ball sit on a valve seat correctly, etc. Sometimes you can cure bad performance with a good cleaning. The only fluid I recommend is Trans-X which is a cleaner and seal conditioner, and I have good results with it but its not a substitute for replacement repair parts. Lucas tries to resolve leaky seal by thickening the fluid, which can be harmful to other parts of the transmission, and I would not advise it.

How many miles are on the transmission?
Old 02-23-2015, 01:39 PM

I'll have meineke check it out. Here's a picture of the fluid...smells fine, and looks good to me...
Doesn't look reddish pink to me........

Why not drain and refill using the plug on the bottom?

Use only Dex'Merc III fluid. You'll need a little less than 4 quarts.

Adjust the TV cable and see what happens. We're talking maintenance here.
Old 02-23-2015, 01:46 PM

It's got 158000 miles on it. I'm going to check all that you suggest, but between work, kids, and school I won't have time until April.

The leak is very minimal, and I've had it for years. But as soon as my son gets home from school I'm going to reset the throttle cable. This shifting stuff started after I changed the valve cover gasket, I remember pressing it several times until I figured I didn't need to remove it.
Old 02-23-2015, 01:47 PM

It's got 158000 miles on it. I'm going to check all that you suggest, but between work, kids, and school I won't have time until April.

The leak is very minimal, and I've had it for years. But as soon as my son gets home from school I'm going to reset the throttle cable. This shifting stuff started after I changed the valve cover gasket, I remember pressing it several times until I figured I didn't need to remove it.
Bingo!!!!! Set the TV cable.
Old 02-23-2015, 01:50 PM

I can't really tell where the leak is coming from, even after a good undercarriage wash but I do know where the transfer case is leaking. Both tranny shops agreed on the clunk in reverse, and while downshifting from 3rd to 2n but neither of them identified where the tranny leak was.
Old 02-23-2015, 01:53 PM

Is the trans fluid reddish pink or a bit brownish? It's due to be changed every 30,000 miles. No need to drop the pan. Takes less than half hour and walmart has the fluid.

I'm also guessing the TV cable got knocked out of adjustment when you did the valve cover gasket.
Attached Images  
Old 02-23-2015, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Is the trans fluid reddish pink or a bit brownish? It's due to be changed every 30,000 miles. No need to drop the pan. Takes less than half hour and walmart has the fluid. I'm also guessing the TV cable got knocked out of adjustment when you did the valve cover gasket.
Does this look good? Just changed it in January
Attached Thumbnails More Tranny Help Please-image-3843160515.jpg  

Quick Reply: More Tranny Help Please