Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

metal shearing sound

Old 11-10-2015, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default metal shearing sound

Alright yall, saturday night me and my coworker josh went muddin and once we got done and hit the road my 96 cherokee country started makin this metal shearing, nails on a chalkboard sound. I have no idea what is causing the sound. Sunday i replaced my upper ball joints and figured i'd atleast do a little trouble shooting and since i had the hub off i messed with the hub and no sound. I turned the axle shaft before i took it out and BAM! The sound is to be heard; yes this happens on both sides. I know it is from the transfer case foward, but deffently not the t-case gears as the sound does not deafen as i go from 2H-4H-4L; and i also have no loss 4 wheel drive. I'm a little stuck as to what else to trouble shoot to try to pin point the sound anyone have this issue before? If so what ended up being your problem or what could be my next step in trouble shooting?

Thanks in advance,
Redwolf
Old 11-10-2015, 11:44 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: I6 4.0L

If it makes the noise when you turn the hubs by hand, try this to isolate the location:

Disconnect the front drive shaft from the differential. Now turn the hubs again. Does it make the sound? If yes, the issue is somewhere between your hubs and the differential input flange. If no, try turning the front drive shaft by hand. If it makes the sound, you know the issue is either in your double cardan joint or T-case. And if neither produce the sound, since you pulled the front DS U-Joint...then it might be that U-Joint.
Old 11-11-2015, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by NM-XJ
If it makes the noise when you turn the hubs by hand, try this to isolate the location:

Disconnect the front drive shaft from the differential. Now turn the hubs again. Does it make the sound? If yes, the issue is somewhere between your hubs and the differential input flange. If no, try turning the front drive shaft by hand. If it makes the sound, you know the issue is either in your double cardan joint or T-case. And if neither produce the sound, since you pulled the front DS U-Joint...then it might be that U-Joint.
I had thought of that after i posted this and actually did it tonight at work. Dropped the front driveshaft from the front axle and turned the hubs and no sound, turned the driveshaft and no sound, put it make together and no sound. I'm a little pissed and worried that the sound went away just by takin off my front driveshaft and putting it back on, i also greased everything while i was in there,

Redwolf
Old 11-11-2015, 11:05 PM
Seasoned Member

I wouldn't be too worried about it. Mud gets everywhere and into everything...that's why I personally avoid it like the plague!!

I would suspect some dirt got somewhere it shouldn't and by disconnecting the front DS, greasing, and reassembling you have cleared the problem up. Drive it around for a couple days and see what happens.

Betcha it's done and solved. If not, we're always here to help!
Old 11-12-2015, 06:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It could have been a rock stuck between the backing plate and the brake rotor. It happened to me all the time when I went mudding with my TJ.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:05 AM

I wouldn't be too worried about it. Mud gets everywhere and into everything...that's why I personally avoid it like the plague!!

I would suspect some dirt got somewhere it shouldn't and by disconnecting the front DS, greasing, and reassembling you have cleared the problem up. Drive it around for a couple days and see what happens.

Betcha it's done and solved. If not, we're always here to help!
what are the odds mud and rocks got around where the u joint is and everytime it pivets it'd shear the rocks together makin me think that i'm shearing metal?

Redwolf
Old 11-13-2015, 08:16 AM
Seasoned Member

It would seem more likely to me that it was a rock between the backing plate and rotor, like dans said. Or something like that. Sure it could be on or in a U Joint.

After mudding, it's good practice to give everything a good hosing, then regrease all your components to push the mud/water out.

Is it still making the noise?
Old 11-13-2015, 08:41 PM

It would seem more likely to me that it was a rock between the backing plate and rotor, like dans said. Or something like that. Sure it could be on or in a U Joint.

After mudding, it's good practice to give everything a good hosing, then regrease all your components to push the mud/water out.

Is it still making the noise?
so far still NO noise after i took off the front driveshaft from the front axle and put it back on,

Redwolf
Old 11-15-2015, 04:57 PM
Seasoned Member

Then frankly I would just stop worrying about it. Keep on keepin on.

You drove through mud. It got somewhere and made noise. You inspected things, moved them and greased. Now there is no sound. You're good.
Old 11-15-2015, 05:04 PM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee

What is often overlooked when crossing streams and mudding, is that the axle tubes can pack up with silt/debris. If the plastic shield is missing, than small rocks can get in there also.
But my first guess would be what Dans98xj replied.