Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Loose Line in engine compartment-4.0 Engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Loose Line in engine compartment-4.0 Engine

Good day. New member, new Cherokee owner here. I am restoring a Cherokee Sport to functional level. While changing the oil filter which was extremely tight, a rubber hose surfaced while cranking the ratchet. I traced it back to four metal lines that originate from under the car below the brake master cylinder. Looks like four thin metal lines presumably going underneath the drivers firewall, maybe to the automatic 4 speed transmission.

Car runs fine and I can detect no vacuum while idling. I took a flashlight looking round the oil filter/pressure sensor area but cannot locate an open fitting or port that it might have come off from.

I looked through my Haynes book and the parts catalog but can't fin anything. I suppose I can track down someone locally with the same model and see where the hose goes, but maybe someone here can address this question.

Thanks. I love the Jeep. It's a 95 with 153K miles, runs well and I am really cleaning it up.

Keith
Old 09-02-2013, 10:09 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997

I suggest a pic to give context.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:31 PM

I will try to take and upload some photos. They will not photo well but I'll try.

The loose end of the rubber hose was curled behind the valve cover, then looked to curl forward. The other end of the rubber hose slip fits (with a hose clamp) over a thin metal line behind the intake manifold that is coming up along the firewall. When it's light I will crawl under and perhaps trace it to the other end which should give me a clue.

Thank you!

Keith
Old 09-02-2013, 10:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

There are no vacuum lines to the transmission, it's electronically controlled. The only rubber line with no vacuum in that area I can think of offhand would be the transmission vent tube and possibly a fuel vapor recovery line.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:42 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 89

posting pics will help a lot.

have you tried to plug it with your finger while the engine is running to see if it changes how the engine runs or if there is any suction?
Old 09-02-2013, 10:52 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by KeithP
I will try to take and upload some photos. They will not photo well but I'll try.

The loose end of the rubber hose was curled behind the valve cover, then looked to curl forward. The other end of the rubber hose slip fits (with a hose clamp) over a thin metal line behind the intake manifold that is coming up along the firewall. When it's light I will crawl under and perhaps trace it to the other end which should give me a clue.

Thank you!

Keith
Ah, new info since I posted. That's most likely a vapor recovery line that goes to the charcoal canister . That's what would be in that location.

Last edited by Radi; 09-02-2013 at 11:07 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:26 PM

Default Loose line 4.0

Actually I did put my finger on it and there was no vacuum, at least no noticeable vacuum at idle. The hose is such that I do not get the impression it was made to high standards, just a black rubber hose. The metal line going under the driver's side firewall is very thin, and as mentioned is slip fitted with a hose clamp. A hook up to a charcoal canister seems likely. I just have to locate where the canister is. The terminal end you'll recall is somewhere in the vicinity of the oil filter. There is a canister of some kind under the A/C expansion valve but I cannot locate an open tube or port.

Guess I have to crawl back under the car and trace it.

I am 60 years old, but this reminds me of when I was 18 with my first car. Having a ball fixing it!

Thanks for the advice.

Keith
Old 09-02-2013, 11:43 PM
CF Veteran

I am 60 years old, but this reminds me of when I was 18 with my first car. Having a ball fixing it!
Only problem is at our age we get to 'relive the fun' the next day with sore neck and backs, lol.
Attached Thumbnails Loose Line in engine compartment-4.0 Engine-1995-vacdiagram1.jpg  
Old 09-03-2013, 06:46 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Actually I did put my finger on it and there was no vacuum, at least no noticeable vacuum at idle. The hose is such that I do not get the impression it was made to high standards, just a black rubber hose. The metal line going under the driver's side firewall is very thin, and as mentioned is slip fitted with a hose clamp. A hook up to a charcoal canister seems likely. I just have to locate where the canister is. The terminal end you'll recall is somewhere in the vicinity of the oil filter. There is a canister of some kind under the A/C expansion valve but I cannot locate an open tube or port.

Guess I have to crawl back under the car and trace it.

Thanks for the advice.

Keith
From the description of the line being made to poor standards, I'm thinking that one on the cannister.

BTW, welcome from another old guy here.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:33 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987

I'm thinking it's the AW4 transmission vent tube.

or a vent tube off the front differential but that is usually shorter.
Attached Images  
Old 09-03-2013, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by 67 GMC
I'm thinking it's the AW4 transmission vent tube.

or a vent tube off the front differential but that is usually shorter.

Heck of an idea!!

Diff vent comes up by the brake booster, doesn't it?
Old 09-03-2013, 07:45 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Heck of an idea!!

Diff vent comes up by the brake booster, doesn't it?
90% sure it's on the right (passenger) side near the cabin fan. After-all the punkin is on the right.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by MtnHermit
90% sure it's on the right (passenger) side near the cabin fan. After-all the punkin is on the right.
Just went and looked. My pumpkin is on the left (driver's) and the diff vent is up near the booster, kinda tucked back in there.

Your pumpkins on the right (passenger) side?
Old 09-03-2013, 08:30 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Just went and looked. My pumpkin is on the left (driver's) and the diff vent is up near the booster, kinda tucked back in there.

Your pumpkins on the right (passenger) side?
I thought so (90%), I'll have to look. To comfortable now, check later. It is on my Tundra, could be confused. Happens.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:53 PM

Default What the h...l is a pumpkin?

You guys crack me up. And yes....it's not as easy to crawl underneath as it used to be! Everyone has been helpful, and this weekend I was able to return the favor to someone else.

I neglected to mention my Cherokee is 2WD so I am thinking the loose hose is in fact supposed to look up to an evap canister...somewhere!

Its the classic case of a black hose against a black engine in a dark engine compartment, plus having little time other than weekends to mess with it.

I will figure it out this Saturday, solve the mystery and post an update.

How the heck did we start talking about pumpkins? Is it some sort of Cherokee Halloween insider joke?

Thanks all.

Keith

Quick Reply: Loose Line in engine compartment-4.0 Engine