Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Looking For Transmission pan

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l i6
Default Looking For Transmission pan

Ive replaced transmission gasket cause it was leaking. Torqued to specs and still leaking. Think i need a new pan. If anyone knows anyplace that has them new for a descend price please let me know. Dont really feel like messing with a junkyard.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Never looked for one myself but have youtried Napa or advanced auto? Maybe a trans repair shop in your area?

tryin to help....
Old 05-24-2011, 12:38 PM

ya Ive called both of those places and they said they didn't have it and couldn't get it. The transmission place that's in my area are a bunch of thieves so i would like to stay away from them. I cant believe i cant find one online anywhere.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Originally Posted by Cherokee_Pride
ya Ive called both of those places and they said they didn't have it and couldn't get it. The transmission place that's in my area are a bunch of thieves so i would like to stay away from them. I cant believe i cant find one online anywhere.
Have you tried rock auto?
Old 05-24-2011, 06:48 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: V8

Take the back side of a a ballpien hammer and another hammer. Place the pan edge on a piece of wood. Using the ballpien placed on the bolt hole of the pan, give it a pretty good whack with the other hammer (Face to Face). It will dimple the bolt hole towards the outside of the pan, just slightly. Works perfectly every time.

Ron
Old 05-25-2011, 06:03 AM

ok jronald. Thanks ill try that and see how it goes.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 88
Engine: 4.0 HO

I use RTV sealant on problem pans.
On most pans that come with a cork gasket I toss the gasket and apply a bead of RTV around it and bolt it on and let sit over night and then fill.
That usually fixes it.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:39 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by jronald
Take the back side of a a ballpien hammer and another hammer. Place the pan edge on a piece of wood. Using the ballpien placed on the bolt hole of the pan, give it a pretty good whack with the other hammer (Face to Face). It will dimple the bolt hole towards the outside of the pan, just slightly. Works perfectly every time.

Ron

THIS is the CORRECT way- Like this poster--Take ur pan off and inspect it for being straight

Put the pan down on a wooden surface--butt the pan edge to the wood so the the edge with the bolt holes is on it. Use the ballpeen end of the hammer on the bolt hole -not so but hard enough to just dimple the hole OUTWARD so when you tighten the bolt it will push up on the trans and gasket. Do this to all 4 sides.

Each corner should be tapped slightly UPWARD--if you look at the pan from the side the corners should be up ever so slightly. Use the bigger end of the hammer for this and below.

Make sure the pan is STRAIGHT --some of the edges may be WAVY when looked at from the side. Use the hammer and wood to do this.

i have so many really twisted pans in my life and always wondered --"who the hell did this". Unless ther is a hole or the pan is SO bent up no-one could straighten it --You should be able to use yours.

Take ur time
Don't hit it to hard !!!! -take some small shots and go harder just as needed.

Use a GOOD gasket--there are many gaskets out there-buy something of quality.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:10 AM

thanks guys for the info. Never tried straightening it before i put the gasket on. figured " how would it be bent?'. But the damn thing is so hard to get out i can prolly see how it could be bent. well looks like im gonna take it off again. i dread doing it again but it has to be done. at least i cut the dipstick tube and put on a piece of rubber hose so this time it shouldn't be so bad. Thanx
-Cherokee Pride-