Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Jeep runs great, but can't drive it

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 11:37 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L, In Line 6
Default Jeep runs great, but can't drive it

HELP !!
I love my Jeep. 1994 Cherokee, Sport, 4 door.
Here's story in a nutshell. Picked up my son in Los Angeles. Just returned from San Francisco . He stayed in basically a hostel for students and professors. His luck and the the other 2 roommates. They were given another room. They said the 1st room had roaches. Fine. Well, of course had his luggage in my Jeep. Our rooms house was cleared of these pests. But they weren't roaches. I hate San Francisco . They were bedbugs. He had to throw away his luggage. And we confined them to the one room. Then killed the m'fers. A couple days later. I was bitten on arms, back, legs etc. Sh*t. They hatched in my JEEP !!!!!
I sprayed with BBug poison. Flooded everywhere with Malathion. I should have used a stronger mix. I doubled the instructions. Should have done straight from bottle. Did foggers , 3 or 4 at a time everyday, night. Tore out my headliner. Sprayed vinegar, more fogger.
While driving, I sprayed as I felt the bastards biting me. Poisoned me. SOB. I tried electrical heater units but the electric heaters turned off I think cuz of tstat setting. Had all 5 on separate circuits . No breaker trip. Inside Jeep Temp got to 110 deg F. Need minimum 130F for 30 mins at least. I bought a steam cleaner for Bbugs. Just got it. Will try it later this week. As of now, I drove to work, an hour and half drive from home. I'm now staying at work cuz I don't want to feed the bastards anymore. No joke, today I opened the rear hatch to just grab an extension cord. Bastards bit me. I think fell from the hatch when 'dinner' arrived.
I will probably have to take off all the door panels, the interior trim, etc and steam them. When I sprayed Malathion, I flooded the seats, the floor and sprayed heavy under the dash. Left Jeep dry out in case the electrical got flooded wet. After Malathion spray, all was good. No bites. Then day 2, the bleeping eggs must have hatched.Poison, etc failed so I bought a torpedo Propane heater online that I will use ductwork into the Jeep to raise the temp and cook them. Waiting for it. Out of season so can't buy or rent them locally, so I ordered ebay and waiting.
Please any suggestion. I think steam clean, and the torpedo heat ducted in will work. But damn, I I look like I am having an allergic reaction so many bites..
Any suggestions.
That expression, Good night, don't let the bed bug bite. I'm gonna kill who said that.
------------------ As a side note, bed bugs have absolutely nothing to do with clean or dirty. And these menace prefer human blood. Tend to leave animals alone unless no choice cuz no person is available

Last edited by jmrec100; 04-19-2017 at 12:43 PM.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L H.O.

Originally Posted by jmrec100
HELP !!
I love my Jeep. 1994 Cherokee, Sport, 4 door.
Here's story in a nutshell. Picked up my son in Los Angeles. Just returned from San Francisco . He stayed in basically a hostel for students and professors. His luck and the the other 2 roommates. They were given another room. They said the 1st room had roaches. Fine. Well, of course had his luggage in my Jeep. Our rooms house was cleared of these pests. But they weren't roaches. I hate San Francisco . They were bedbugs. He had to throw away his luggage. And we confined them to the one room. Then killed the m'fers. A couple days later. I was bitten on arms, back, legs etc. Sh*t. They hatched in my JEEP !!!!!
I sprayed with BBug poison. Flooded everywhere with Malathion. I should have used a stronger mix. I doubled the instructions. Should have done straight from bottle. Did foggers , 3 or 4 at a time everyday, night. Tore out my headliner. Sprayed vinegar, more fogger.
While driving, I sprayed as I felt the bastards biting me. Poisoned me. SOB. I tried electrical heater units but the electric heaters turned off I think cuz of tstat setting. Had all 5 on separate circuits . No breaker trip. Inside Jeep Temp got to 110 deg F. Need minimum 130F for 30 mins at least. I bought a steam cleaner for Bbugs. Just got it. Will try it later this week. As of now, I drove to work, an hour and half drive from home. I'm now staying at work cuz I don't want to feed the bastards anymore. No joke, today I opened the rear hatch to just grab an extension cord. Bastards bit me. I think fell from the hatch when 'dinner' arrived.
I will probably have to take off all the door panels, the interior trim, etc and steam them. When I sprayed Malathion, I flooded the seats, the floor and sprayed heavy under the dash. Left Jeep dry out in case the electrical got flooded wet. After Malathion spray, all was good. No bites. Then day 2, the bleeping eggs must have hatched.Poison, etc failed so I bought a torpedo Propane heater online that I will use ductwork into the Jeep to raise the temp and cook them. Waiting for it. Out of season so can't buy or rent them locally, so I ordered ebay and waiting.
Please any suggestion. I think steam clean, and the torpedo heat ducted in will work. But damn, I I look like I am having an allergic reaction so many bites..
Any suggestions.
That expression, Good night, don't let the bed bug bite. I'm gonna kill who said that.
Oh god that is horrifying. Thought I had it bad when rescuing a stray blessed my first XJ with fleas. I hope that torpedo heater does the trick man.

Next step call a priest?
Old 04-18-2017, 06:30 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

you may just want to all an exterminator. have them use that "not safe for public" stuff. then do a thorough cleaning.... or it would be a good excuse to have a jeep bonfire. just burn it all.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

90% rubbing alcohol in a sprayer kills them right away.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:34 AM

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: I6 Cyl / 4L

Have you found any while looking around? Dead or alive? Just to verify they are bedbugs?

I can't imagine it is that difficult to kill them, especially when the Jeeps get so cold and, in your case, hot in the course of the day. Can't you just find a nice sunny spot in a parking lot, with all the windows closed and let it sit for a few hours? A quick web search says they die after 113 degrees for 90 minutes. And then 118 for 20 minutes.

I'd be more scared of the chemicals you are using than of the bed bugs in my Jeep. Occasionally an insect will find it way into the Jeep, but they never survive in there because there is no food and the temps fluctuate so much.

Last edited by OldTires; 04-18-2017 at 07:38 AM.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:47 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990

Cedarcide.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:38 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee

Originally Posted by OldTires
I'd be more scared of the chemicals you are using than of the bed bugs in my Jeep.
Me too!
Old 04-18-2017, 10:43 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I believe heat over 118F will kill em in under 20 minutes. Clean the interior, vacuum and let sit in direct sunlight for a few days. Internal temps SHOULD get high enough to kill anything.

Then exterminator if problem persists. At least it's a small sealed area for the most part.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:17 PM

Year: 1999

Me thinks you're carrying them around with you, everywhere, and freshly infesting your Jeep when you get back in it. They are in your house, on your chair at work - your co-workers are being bitten and they don't know why...
Old 04-18-2017, 01:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 6 cylinder

Wow, this has got to be the strangest XJ issue yet!

This reminds me of my old souped up '64 Plymouth 2-door sedan years ago. Seems i always parked it under a spider infested tree.
Yep the car was also infested with spider inside and out.

Found out they were in the inside when at a drive-in movie with an new girlfriend.
She screamed 'spider' so loud, people around came to see what was happening. 'Take me home Take me home'!
That was my first and last date with her. LOL

Now that the weather is warming up, you might want to try leaving the Jeep in the sun for a few weeks with windows rolled up.
Heat and no fresh blood will teach 'm.

I'd also be leery of spraying any kind of pesticide in the Jeep.
Old 04-18-2017, 04:45 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0L, In Line 6

Originally Posted by OldTires
Have you found any while looking around? Dead or alive? Just to verify they are bedbugs?

I can't imagine it is that difficult to kill them, especially when the Jeeps get so cold and, in your case, hot in the course of the day. Can't you just find a nice sunny spot in a parking lot, with all the windows closed and let it sit for a few hours? A quick web search says they die after 113 degrees for 90 minutes. And then 118 for 20 minutes.

I'd be more scared of the chemicals you are using than of the bed bugs in my Jeep. Occasionally an insect will find it way into the Jeep, but they never survive in there because there is no food and the temps fluctuate so much.
Food? They are parasites. I'm their buffet in my hour long drive to work. And info says they can go without 'food', meaning me, for months. Yes 90 minutes at 113F kills adults, 118F for 90 minutes kills the eggs, But they can hide in the center console, or just thru the shift lever cover outside or glove box or just outside the door where I found some greeting me. As far as freezing, says below 0 degrees in the freezer with an outside temperature monitor for 4 days . Do not open the door. They can hide in the seal to the door. They've been found hiding in the phillips head of screws . Birds and bats eat them. But not a main diet cuz they are so small. Too much trouble for such a piece of lint sized food.

Most troublesome are the eggs. Gestation is 6 to 12 days, Each one can lay 200 eggs in their lifetime. That torpedo heater should work. Melt those b*st*rds. Machinist across from my unit is bringing his tomorrow. Gonna cook those bastards. Yes , they are bed bugs. Seen them. In the luggage that got thrown away. And in the couch I had 3 weeks ago that was also thrown in the trash. And seen the ones we killed crawling thru the between the rug and wall in the house. Got them before they had a chance to get loose. Didn't realize 3 weeks later when they tattooed me that realized they were in my Jeep. Lovely creatures. Prefer human blood over animal. So my 5 dogs seem okay as long as I'm their meal ticket. Dear God why did you make such evil critters, why !!!!

I sprayed methanol , Iso propanol, . Considered acetone. Worked for a couple hours. But gotta get them ALL.

As a last resort, I'll buy myself my favorite meatball sandwich. It's fabulous with provolone cheese, with olives and green peppers. Not subway. Luigi's in Fullerotn., With a really good ale. Park at Palos Verdes. Enjoy the cliff top view of the ocean. When I finish, full speed ahead. JK. I love my Jeep. But these buggers are evil.
Let you know after the heat rage treatment.

Mr Mahoney, well aware of spreading. So I don't. As far as work, My Jeep is outside. Haven't driven it for days now. Lucky small shop, me and the owner. He's not here often. I'm aware of transporting them. So I'm staying at work. Change of clothes I keep went into our oven. Then freezer. I Just Stare at the Jeep. I needed an extension cord and its in the back hatch area. WTH, grab it and slam. Buggers dropped from the hatch door I think. Immediate bite. Lucky was late, dark. Noone around. Stripped, (I know TMI ), and ran in the door. Redneck shower then bag clothes and leave in oven for the night.
Yes, Nuts. Just nuts.

Last edited by jmrec100; 04-18-2017 at 05:04 PM.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:20 PM

Amazon Amazon
Old 04-18-2017, 09:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Engine: 4.0 Litre I6

Old 04-18-2017, 10:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 4.0L non 0331 head

I'm itchy now.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:25 PM

I've got the ******* and a case of the cooties.