Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Jeep periodically starting

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Jeep periodically starting

Can anybody tell me why my Jeep will not start sometimes. It recently just started acting up it will sometimes start up write away and then I will shut it off and go back an hour later or less and wont start at all however the lights and radio works, so i know its not the battery. I have found out if I turn the switch to on and wait for the gauges to move and then turn it over it will start. I took it to the garage and they said they can find anything wrong with it, they said it starts up everytime they try it. I said it could be the starter or even the switch in the igniton but they say its not. I really would like some direction on what it could be. Thanks and have a great weekend.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 89
Engine: 4.0

Do you mean it will not turn over or it will crank and not fire?
Old 01-09-2010, 08:03 PM

Yupp... We need more info to go by, my friend.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:55 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4 liter
Exclamation Lights and radio are not a battery test.

Do you hear a clicking sound from the starter when the engine doesn't start? If you do not then you may have a jammed solenoid,bad starter motor, bad relay, ignition switch or the never to be sufficiently damned neutral safety switch. If you hear a clicking sound then put a multimeter on the battery and have a friend try to crank it. If the battery voltage drops below 10 the battery is weak but not dead.If it drops below 9 its going fast. If it goes below 8 it is toast. The radio and the head lights (std. equipment of course) do not draw enough amperage to give a good indication of battery power. A carbon pile would give a better test but you will need the multimeter any way to test other stuff. If you don't hear a clicking sound ,you could try rapping on the starter solenoid with a soft faced hammer .(big screwdriver handle etc.) If it cranks right up ,then that is most likely the issue. You could try cleaning the starter and solenoid .(there is a link some where in the forum with detailed and illustrated instructions,use the forum search ) Good Luck
Old 01-09-2010, 10:59 PM

Year: 95
Engine: 4.0 H.O.

it kinda sounds like the starter...i had the same problem, mine was the starter solenoid goin bad tho, so i got a new one and it starts good now...this may help you out i hope
Old 01-10-2010, 11:26 AM

Thanks for the reply and it wont turn over and doesnt even click like a dead battery does.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:30 AM

Thank you for the reply, no it doesnt click at all so i will try tapping it and see what I get from there and if so I may replace the starter. thanks and I will let you know what the result is, have a great day
Old 01-10-2010, 03:48 PM

First and foremost take your Battery in and get it tested. The most common electrical problems stem from bad Battery Cables, enough can't be said about this...

Cables may seem good on the outside, but are often junk on the inside. After you know fosure that you have a good Battery AND Cables, your XJ might start!

Next step... Test your Neutral Safety Switch(NSS), a common problem with XJ's. To do this, turn your key to the "start" position and with your other hand, reach over and push the button on your shifter, and gently rock your shifter (in "Park") slightly forward and then back. It should Pop right off! Others have had good luck just trying to start it in neutral, i have not...

If this doesn't do it, i would try testing your Ignition Switch next.

To do this; turn your Heater Fan "on" and then turn your Ignition Switch to "start", as if to start it. The Fan should turn off when your vehicle tries to crank. If it does not, that would mean you have a bad Ignition Switch.

You could have a bad Starter Relay... you could swap it out with the A/C Relay to see what happens?

To test your starter, you have to take it out and to the parts store, as i'm sure that you already know.

Hope this helps, and keep us posted!

Last edited by guest02; 01-10-2010 at 03:52 PM.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:18 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 L6

Check your CRANK SENSOR it could be going bad i had the same prob a few months back