Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

HElp no start, no power

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 11:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default HElp no start, no power

Hello, I have an 89 jeep cherokee laroado, 4.0 automatic, I got this from someone else because it wouldnt start. I have a good battery in it, there is juice to the starter, and the grounds are good, I tried to jump from the starter and get spark but it doesnt engage, I have no power to anything else... nothing no lights no nothing. The guy tried fixing it and has undone some wires ( I hate that cause then ya dont always know where they go) anyway there is an 88 jeep here we can use for parts if they match. What can I do to see why there is no power to anything.... you would think at least the lights and stuff would work I am at a loss for ideas now. any help or ideas appreciated!
Old 01-11-2010, 11:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 89
Engine: 4.0

The 88 and 89 are the same,take a look at the starter relay on the right fender little silver box,all the power goes to it from the battery,the starter wire comes off it,bottom right. make sure all of them are connected and use the 88 to make sure yours are correct. I use to go to the jy and find an xj that had not been molested and use it for a wiring diagram,has help me in the past.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:35 PM

Default update

I did not have a lot of time today to mess with this but I did run a jumper wire from the solenoid to positive battery cable.... walaaaaahh it runs, now I need to chase that red wire and see what the deal is with it. oh by the way it does run everything seems to work sounds good, just low oil pressure. I will chase that wire and clean it up and put it up for sale.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:34 PM

Default oops

That should have siad ran jumper wire from starter Relay to positive post on battery, low oil pressure might need a change? will take valve cover gsket off, I want to look in there anyway. Will change oil and a few minor things then can get it cleaned up , Wish the idiot would have ripped all teh interior trim out though. OOH well small fix