Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Jeep 4.0 gas in oil?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Jeep 4.0 gas in oil?

Bear with me as this is going to be long. I bought a 1989 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 last night. Has 187,XXX miles on it. The guy that had it before me used it primarily for wheeling. I pulled the dipstick out while I was looking at the Jeep and the oil smelled like gas. It didn't bother me too much. He said that he flipped the Jeep over on it's top and that's what caused it and hasn't changed the oil since. He said that they trailered the Jeep home and he hasn't driven it much since then. The dipstick isn't showing way over full or anything as if a head gasket was blown the dipstick actually reads normal and the Jeep ran like an absolute top it doesn't miss a lick. When I got the Jeep home last night I pulled the drain plug and let the oil drain out for about ten minutes and checked the drain pan and it appeared to be very milky. It doesn't smell like coolant though it just smells like gas. I left the drain plug out and ran a fresh quart of 10w30 through it and it came out pretty milky also and again it smelled like gas.

I let it drain out over night and I'm going to pour some fresh Rotella 15w40 in it today at lunch time and slap a new filter on it. Do you think that I'm going to have a problem out of it? Thanks for the help!
Old 05-25-2012, 01:46 PM

Also, I have to replace the coolant overflow(renix closed system) and I was wondering if when I replace the overflow if I will have to burp the system or not? Thanks for the help!
Old 05-25-2012, 01:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Howdy! Sounds like you are on the right track. No, I don't think you are going to have an issue burping it just changing the bottle. Just watch it..only 1/2 you know, it's needs air in there for expansion.

Milky oil is from coolant (or water). Not a good sign. Give her a go, you'll find out. Don't bake it! If it overheats, shut her down. The link in my signature is a bunch or stuff Cruiser54 wrote for us Renix owners. (thank you cruiser!), I highly recommend you take a look.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:18 PM
CF Veteran

Don't use "OCOD!" Fram is the Orange Can Of Death. Napa Gold is the Wix which has a anti drain back valve that actually works....among others...

Two minute Head Gasket test.
A quick head gasket check. Preferably with it warmed up; remove the radiator cap and power-brake it. Do please be careful. In drive, pressing on the gas of course something could go wrong. Your foot is firm on the brake, and no-one is in front of the Jeep! If the head gasket is really shot it will bubble, or even geyser out the filler as combustion gasses shoot past the gasket into the water jacket. This won't tell you it's OK, but it can be pretty clear if its bad. Sometimes some surging is normal. If it just comes up a little or spills a little you may still be OK.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gasoline collects water after it sits for a while which can cause the oil to get milky. Had it happen to a ford that sat for a while after running pig rich. Keep a close eye on the oil though to make sure it isn't a head gasket or cracked head as mentioned above
Old 05-26-2012, 03:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

My two cents....

An injector sticking open may dump raw fuel into its cylinder until the rail pressure drops to zero. The raw fuel may get past the rings and into the oil pan. Do a rail fuel pressure leakdown check (using a pressure gauge). The fuel pressure in the rail should hold for at least 30 minutes after shuting the engne down before dropping to 30 psi. If it does drop quickly its either a leaking injector or a defective fuel pump check valve. Worth a try.
Old 05-26-2012, 06:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts

I agree with Ken. My first thought is a leaky fuel injector. If you don't have a fuel pressure gauge, you can rent one from many parts stores inexpensively.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:05 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Jcke89
He said that he flipped the Jeep over on it's top and that's what caused it and hasn't changed the oil since. He said that they trailered the Jeep home and he hasn't driven it much since then.

"Milky oil is from coolant (or water). Not a good sign. Give her a go, you'll find out. Don't bake it! If it overheats,"

I'm going to pour some fresh Rotella 15w40 in it today

How long was it upside sown, I wonder?

I got some stump in my rack once, stump was in the wrong place.

Last edited by DFlintstone; 05-26-2012 at 07:21 PM. Reason: ?
Old 05-27-2012, 08:50 AM

Go slow. You only want to do this once, and do it right! so check everything.