Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Issues with jeep 2000 XJ

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Issues with jeep 2000 XJ

My favorite little XJ, a '99 black 2 door 5 speed, got totaled 3-18.
Found a clean 2000 silver XJ 4 dr 4.0 AW4, with 107,000 miles to replace it.
Now I'm still having some bad back problems from my accident, so I haven't been able to do much of anything. But, I am finding, and hearing things that just aren't right.

1st, when I try to start the jeep, it will just crank and crank. Turn off the key and hit it again, it starts right up. Does this every time.
2nd, after it starts, I can hear a thump sound at the rear by the tank?
3rd, Isn't the E-fan supposed to turn on when the a/c is turned on? It will cycle if you leave it idle and it gets a little over 210 on the gauge, but I thought when the a/c was on, so was the fan?
4th, has some nasty creakin going on when ya hit some bumps coming from the rear. It still has the original shocks, and just about everything else for that matter, on it. May be the plastic leaf pads are worn though, and the spring are just screeching. Just annoys me that I can't just fix this crap yet.
Also irritated cause I thought i could just pull the lift out of my other jeep(I bought it back from insurance co.) But went and looked at it today, and one of the leaf springs is pretty bent.... Guess I'm just venting cause I just got my '99 all finished. NO ISSUES AT ALL. and now I have to start all over again.
Anyway, if anyone knows anything about the first couple things, please tell me where to start looking. Thanks.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:41 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0l

First off, sorry about the wreck. Sounds pretty rough.
I own a 01 and I have some of the same issues.
1st...the starting issue is something I have also. I'm not sure on the fix.
2nd A/C. On the 99-01 the electric fan is controlled by the cpu. It operates when the temp rises as it should. But does not always operate when the a/c is on. There is a switch behind the compressor the when the pressure rises it tells the computer to turn the fan on to reduce the pressure. Hope this info helps. Sounds like the fan is working ok to me
And I'm not sure on your 3rd point mine is simply stock.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:11 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0L home brew Snorkle

sorry about your wreck. so I think your first problem might be a Neutral Safty Switch. thats my guess. I have yet to experience this porblem but thats my guess. Secondly, It may be something as simple as your tail pipe hitting a shackle. thirdly, your fan is supposed to kick on in that range, regardless of the setting of your A/C. fourthly, I wheeled with stock springs for a while. I slightly bent a shock bar and it caused the outer shell to rub on the shock body during compression and extention. It is annoying but when/if you decide to lift it, new shocks should aleviate the problem. HTH
Old 04-01-2010, 10:17 PM

[QUOTE=Crunch;492025]My favorite little XJ, a '99 black 2 door 5 speed, got totaled 3-18.
Found a clean 2000 silver XJ 4 dr 4.0 AW4, with 107,000 miles to replace it.
Now I'm still having some bad back problems from my accident, so I haven't been able to do much of anything. But, I am finding, and hearing things that just aren't right.

1st, when I try to start the jeep, it will just crank and crank. Turn off the key and hit it again, it starts right up. Does this every time.
2nd, after it starts, I can hear a thump sound at the rear by the tank?
3rd, Isn't the E-fan supposed to turn on when the a/c is turned on? It will cycle if you leave it idle and it gets a little over 210 on the gauge, but I thought when the a/c was on, so was the fan?
4th, has some nasty creakin going on when ya hit some bumps coming from the rear. It still has the original shocks, and just about everything else for that matter, on it. May be the plastic leaf pads are worn though, and the spring are just screeching. Just annoys me that I can't just fix this crap yet.
Also irritated cause I thought i could just pull the lift out of my other jeep(I bought it back from insurance co.) But went and looked at it today, and one of the leaf springs is pretty bent.... Guess I'm just venting cause I just got my '99 all finished. NO ISSUES AT ALL. and now I have to start all over again.
Anyway, if anyone knows anything about the first couple things, please tell me where to start looking. Thanks.[/QUOTE

For the first issue:
I have a 2000 XJ I got back in October with 125k and I have the starting problem... from all the research I have done on the forums I think the check valve.. I think its called that.. in the fuel pump is bad. I just turn my key to the run position and let all the lights come on then crank it.. no problems then 99% of the time. Also the fuel filter is part of the pump so I am fixing to replace that. Also, my a/c cycles on and off constantly at idle, not sure if yours does this, but I am going to check this out this weekend. 4th Issue:
Mine creaks and what not from bumps but I just blame it on the age of the vehicle, unless I come into a little bit of extra play money, I don't plan on replacing any of the suspension components until necessary, the Jeep is 10 yrs old after all..

Hope some of this helps.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:17 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994

Not the n.s.s. if its cranking. Maybe fuel pump is going? Maybe a fuel pump relay?
Old 04-01-2010, 11:07 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 I6

i'd say fuel pump. this '88 old' cutlass I had about 10 years ago did that. took forever to start. but if you cut the key back and try again, it would start right up. fought it for about a year, until I put a whole tank from another cutlass, it fixed it right up. by the end it had started cutting off if i would to pull up to a stoplight.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:17 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L v6

I'm also having the starting issue.
I have a push start so it gets really annoying pushing that thing soo much.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:19 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 I6

btw, i'm sorry about your wreck. loosing an XJ would be an end of an era for me. i already spend every extra penny i get on my XJ.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:03 AM

Thanks guys... I wouldn't have bought another one if I didn't like them... Been one of the best vehicles I've ever owned.. Just hate that I had to start from scratch again.Here is a pic I took of my old XJ with my cell Before they took me to the ER.

Got rear ended at a red light by a guy doing 45.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:20 AM

Where can I get a fuel pump set up reasonable-those are a lot more then I thought they would be!
Old 04-02-2010, 07:35 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L
Default Nice rims

Crunch I hope you salvaged those rims. And whatever else.

Sorry to hear about losing the first one. But think of the fun youll have with the new one once you get on your feet again!
Old 04-02-2010, 07:44 AM

I have the same issues. 2000 XJ 80,000 miles.

Had fuel pump checked, pressure is great

Spark plugs are good.

I don't have the idle though, but the hard start i do have

The creaking noise, lube your joints and everthing.

Let me know if u find fix.

I get the creaking too. No biggy tho.

Last edited by ChadXJ; 04-02-2010 at 07:49 AM.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:38 PM

Update...
Had a buddy willing to help me out for a while today.
Did a sea foam treatment, and cleaned the T-body and Iac valve.
Changed the plugs, put in Auto lite 3924's.
Fixed another issue I had with a front speaker not working(busted wire).
He got a look at the rear and found the creaking noise. The shackle is hitting the bumper support on the drivers rear. Must have had a mild hit back there. My buddy said the frame, leaf spring mount, and fuel filler support are perfectly straight, just the bumper part is kinda pushed in a bit, and needs popped out. Gotta drop the leaf and shackle to do it though, we and didn't have time. Noise drives me NUTS. Might just get my lift and stuff together and get this fixed ASAP.
Also got my EV6 injectors in the mail yesterday! To bad they sent me 5 of the correct ones and 1 wrong one. Guy was very cool and shipped me one right out.
Also cleaned the battery terminals and checked the battery out. All is cool there.
Results: accelerates way smoother, Idles a lot better.
Stuff we did, did not fix the hard start problem. Think it's a fuel pump issue.
I also think the noise I hear at start up is the exhaust banging on something when she fires up.
Still hate driving this VS my 2 door. But hopefully when I get my lift in it she will grow on me. I will be putting the front hp30 with 4.10's from my old jeep in this one. Think the rear is tweaked from the hit(my wreaked one) so may yank the gears and carrier and have my buddy set them up in this one.
She should haul *** with the 4.10's and 30x9.50's and the 4.0!

Last edited by Crunch; 04-02-2010 at 08:42 PM.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 96 Limited ZJ
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2 w/mods

Sorry to hear about the accident. I think the 4 door will grow on you. Also it should move pretty good with the 4.10s! I know mine did with 3.55s and 31s!