Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Intermittent leak possibly radiator?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 02:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Intermittent leak possibly radiator?

Ok so I made a new thread since all the old ones were not relevant to the question I have now. I had my upper radiator hose leaking and I tightened it up and it no longer leaks. I have a small leak coming from the corner area of my radiator, and it does not look to be from the lower hose, it is bone dry around that.

I make the same 1/2 mile trip(If that far) to work and back home a couple times a day. About every 4th drive I get a small drip of coolant that appears to be from the corner area of my plastic radiator. It only does this when the engine is cold, and the spot on the ground is about 6" across.

What would cause a small leak that I can not replicate, and the only pattern I see is it happens when the engine is cold, and the leaked amount appears to be the same? I am going to clean everything up and pull the grill off right now to get a closer look, but the fact that I can not replicate the leak and it only happens sometimes confuses me.

Thanks
Old 12-20-2011, 07:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2000

A crack. It probably seals itself when hot or just doesn't leak when the coolant starts flowing. If its plastic I've had pretty good luck patching them with various brands of plastic welder stuff but you can never trust them.

Last edited by EastBeast; 12-20-2011 at 07:52 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999

Loan this.......FREE!
Originally Posted by sv41878
*Do you have access to a coolant system pressure tester? If not, go to the auto parts store and do the loaner program on one. Seal the system back up tight, fill it (with just water cuz I'm gonna tell you to flush the system good after you verify there are no leaks) and pump it up. Make sure the tester is sealed tight in the radiator filler neck so its not leaking around it *and pinch the line that runs to the overflow bottle off tight. When I change water pumps and t stats in the shop, I usually pump it up to 18-20 lbs of pressure and watch for leaks. It's more pressure than you would run at operating temp and will show you any leaks.If no leaks are revealed (pressure stays where you put it for 15 minutes or so), take the t stat and water pump off, pull the bottom hose from the radiator and shove a garden hose in the block, spraying it in to everywhere you can reach, then letting it run through. If it looses pressure and you can't see a leak, go back to the parts store and borrow a compression tester set to check the head and cylinders for cracks. I personally have never pulled the plug from the side of the block to flush the system, but there was a post about it and if he has had good luck with it and you feel you wanna do it, I'm not gonna challenge it since they put it there for a reason. When you get the block clean, flush the radiator and heater core (I use the air hose for the heater core, fill it with water then use air, low pressure by keeping the blow gun loosely in the end (do not seal it tight or you'll blow the heater core out) to push it, repeat this few times as this is typically the least circulated part of the system). If the PO did not do maintenance, you'll be shocked at the stuff that comes out.*Once it's flushed, spend the $35 at Pepboy's for the lifetime warrantied Bosch water pump and get a new t stat (I would say 180 t stat because of the warm climate there). When everything is sealed up tight, fill it with antifreeze (50/50 mix should be good since you don't get the bitter cold we do here) and use the pressure tester again to verify there are no leaks.
Then burp the system by letting it get to operating temp and slowly topping it off again. You'll loose some coolant as the temp rises due to the air pockets in the block expanding, but that's normal. 4.0's have a few spots in the block that seem to stubbornly hold air pockets, so after the initial burp, check it daily to see if the coolant level drops for a week or so. Usually you only need to burp it once, but I have seen a few that it took a week of regular driving to get all the air out of the system. You should be golden after this.

GL

Last edited by BotakBeng; 12-21-2011 at 08:14 AM.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:02 AM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts

If you have a small leak on an old radiator, replace it.

Radiators aren't that expensive.

A small leak can turn into a big leak in a microsecond and then you've got bigger fish to fry.

When you replace the radiator, consider replacing other cooling system components like the water pump, hoses, fan clutch, radiator cap, thermostat.

Dollar for dollar, there is no better money spent than that spent on your cooling system.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:02 AM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts

double post

Last edited by tjwalker; 12-21-2011 at 10:03 AM. Reason: double post