Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Death wobble any ideas???

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Default Death wobble any ideas???

I get dw I have 4.5 lift I upgraded the streering, trac bar , dual shock stabiler, upper and lower ball joints on both sides. I have no idea what else I could be any body have any thoughts?
Old 12-19-2011, 07:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

Alignment and wheel balance. Alwayssss get an alignment after you change any part in the steering system
Old 12-19-2011, 07:10 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L 6cyl

do you have a t-case drop or an sye? At 4.5 inches you'll definitely need one or it will cause problems. I just installed a t-case drop on my 3" lift and it got rid of all my dw and even the steering wheel wobble.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:14 PM
CF Veteran

Hmmm... Never heard of a driveline angle causing death wobble... I would think that would just stop other vibrations in the pedal and below you, not in the steering wheel. But yes, a SYE is definitely a good idea if you're going with a lift
Old 12-19-2011, 07:16 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Upper control arm bushings and lower control arm bushings.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:17 PM

Im gettin aliment this week and I have a t case drop. U think aliment will make it were I cant even do 40 mph
Old 12-19-2011, 07:20 PM
CF Veteran

Yep it sure can. An alignment will do wonders. If you're taking it to a shop, just have em do the front end. Don't let em talk you into doing the rear
Old 12-19-2011, 07:29 PM
CF Veteran

Read this article. You'll learn just about everything you'll need to know about death wobble

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/di...-wobble-55021/
Old 12-19-2011, 07:30 PM

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0L

not trying to thread steal.
but let me know if that works cherokee91. I just did did a 6 1/2 inch lift w/ 33-12.50-15s and at about 40 i get a DW from hell. My friend said it looked like both my front wheels came off the ground about 2 inches LOL.
I did the tires myself and did not balance them so that is on the list and just eye-balled my alignment so i am curious.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:38 PM

I had dw before and I changed axles and put.different upper and lower control arms on and nothin changed
Old 12-19-2011, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by 1996sportXJ
Hmmm... Never heard of a driveline angle causing death wobble... I would think that would just stop other vibrations in the pedal and below you, not in the steering wheel. But yes, a SYE is definitely a good idea if you're going with a lift
Yeah neither had I until a friend suggested it to me. Originally I checked everything and couldn't find a problem other that my stock steering stabilizer was really worn out. I put a new big bore one on and it bandaged it for a while but it came back pretty quick. I then put the t-case drop in and the problem was gone haha I have no idea what so ever but but I haven't even felt a little wobble at all since it went in, and my jeep has never drove as smooth before so I don't know haha way I see it is it's worth a shot

Last edited by Qroberts7; 12-19-2011 at 09:22 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:47 PM

Well I have a motor mount out like no rubber there lol but I doubt thats doin it. When I put my dual shock stablizer on I could go a little faster but not much
Old 12-19-2011, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by cherokee91
Well I have a motor mount out like no rubber there lol but I doubt thats doin it. When I put my dual shock stablizer on I could go a little faster but not much
Yeah stabilizers are only a bandage for death wobble cause it will come back
Old 12-20-2011, 04:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

My understanding of “death wobble” is this. Somewhere in the vehicle, one or more components is worn beyond tolerances, and when oscillation initiates from a suspension “traumatic” event (hitting a bump or a pothole) or also when a vibration reaches a certain point and harmonic at a certain speed, it causes the other components to react. This is called the “multiplier effect”, where one component affects one or more other components as the event travels through the front end of the vehicle.

Death wobble is not uncommon with the XJ. It is even more common with a lifted XJ. Finding the worn component or components is not always easy. It can sometimes be downright difficult. Sometimes it’s obvious, other times everything appears to be okay when you perform an inspection on a hoist, but getting the vehicle up in the air and going over everything with a fine tough comb is always a good first step. It is very helpful if you know exactly how to perform a comprehensive inspection of every single front end part, looking for abnormal wear and or play in that hardware. If you do not know how to do this type of inspection, pay an experienced professional to do it. Be sure to ask them if they are familiar with “death wobble”, as not all technicians are versed in this…..

Check out the below link if you would like some extensive reading on “death wobble” causes and cures. From my research, Kevin (the author of this tutorial) is possibly the best in the business with tracking down root cause of death wobble. He does offer hardware for sale that can help resolve death wobble, but even if you don’t buy any parts from him, you can still get some excellent ideas on what to look at in resolving your death wobble.

http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/how-to-...-death-wobble/

Possible causes of death wobble are listed below. Isolating death wobble is a process of elimination and the root cause is not always obvious and it can often be caused by a combination of things!
--------------------------------------------------------
-Front tires out of balance (try swapping fronts to rear; see if symptoms change)
-Tire pressure. Don’t laugh. It’s not a root cause but can exaggerate the problem. Experiment with lower tire pressure to see if it helps
-Improper lug nut torque on wheels
-Front alignment out of spec
-Loose track bar
-Worn track bar bushings
-Worn track bar (check for play!!)
-Bad control arms and associated bushings
-Worn/damaged steering stabilizer (not generally a cause in and by itself)
-Worn/damaged shocks
-Worn/damaged tie rod end
-Bad U Joint
-Bad ball joint
-Loose frame mount
-Steering box loose
-Bad front hub assembly
Old 12-20-2011, 07:49 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by cherokee91
Yeah a blown motor mount wouldn't cause death wobble either. But it will give you really bad vibes that are different than dw. So you should replace that eventually too. But first thing you wanna do is get a front end alignment.

And Bigkermit, get those tires balanced and make sure pressure is correct in each one. That's the first step. And then redo your alignment with a tape measure

Quick Reply: Death wobble any ideas???