Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Installing fan shroud/is removing mechanical fan difficult?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 01:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Installing fan shroud/is removing mechanical fan difficult?

Hello all,

My Jeep doesn't have a fan shroud. The electrical fan runs all too often (it's loud and I can def hear it when engaged) and I would feel a lot better if I finally installed the new shroud I have. I thought I'd just be able to slide the shroud over the mechanical fan but unfortunately that's a no go. The FSM says I need to remove the fan in order to install the shroud, but makes it sound somewhat difficult. From what I gather, it's only 4 bolts to get it out, however, because of the clutch in the fan there's a particular way to reinstall it so it functions properly. This is where I'm intimidated. I'm afraid of botching this up. Does anyone have any experience installing a fan shroud while having to remove the mechanical fan? What's the best way to go about it.

Thanks
Old 06-01-2009, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992

I haven't read any factory information on it, but i have pulled said fan off 4 or 5 times, and it's not really that hard. Pretty much you just unbolt it and pull it out, then reverse for installation. I'm sure there's some torque figure for the bolts, but i don't have a torque wrench, so i'm crossing my fingers and praying it stays on. Just make sure to put the fan and shroud in simultaneously so it will actually get into the allotted space.

That's all I can think of
Old 06-01-2009, 01:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have removed and reinstalled the fan shroud multiple times without removing the fan. You have to get the right angle on it.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by winston427
I have removed and reinstalled the fan shroud multiple times without removing the fan. You have to get the right angle on it.
trust me i tried lol. i've found that there's two different shroud designs. the shroud i ordered is the later design (suppose to be better) so maybe that's why i couldn't get it to slide into place.

I'll give it a shot unbolting it this week. Delbin, when you put the shroud and fan back in did you have to bolt the fan on from underneath or could you reach it from under the hood?
Old 06-01-2009, 02:47 PM
CF Veteran

Did'nt know there were 2 designs. If the later model is better I will look into one myself. You can reach everything fron the top side, but be prepared to lose some knuckle skin.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998, 1999

When you do that the safe way is to remove your negative battery lead first. Wear a glove when you undo the bolts, like that other guy said the fan can cut you pretty easily. The torgue spec is 18 ft-lbs. for the 4 bolts. I usually put a small dot of locktite blue on mine. Just a small drop though. Just my preference.
Take a wire brush and get all the rust off both mating surfaces after you pull it. Then you are assured of it running true when you reinstall. That is the step most shops will skip and the step that will give you the most satisfaction knowing you did the job for free and did it better than it would have been if you paid for it!
And loosen the bolts before you take the belt off!

Last edited by Mike1998XJ; 06-01-2009 at 03:08 PM.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:04 PM
"CF Moderator"

Year: 1994
Engine: l6 HO

Its VERY simple to take the fan off, its just those 4 nuts. Just be careful of the blades and you can put it on any way when you put it back on...Tj
Old 06-01-2009, 03:04 PM

Year: 1999

I just did this to my 99 XJ & found with the 3 core radiator it was impossible to get the shroud in without taking the 4 bolts (EDIT: nuts, yeah nuts LOL) out of the fan clutch. It was easier to get at them from under the Jeep, but wasn't bad at all.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:08 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

When pulling the fan, keep a grip on it as the bolts come loose. As stated earlier the fan is sharp and if dropped into the rad. it could puncture the core.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:29 PM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by winston427
I don't know how you did it. I tried on mine and in the process of twisting and pulling it, the shroud broke in half. Came out quite easily after that...
Old 06-01-2009, 03:30 PM

thanks all for the advice. i think i might give this a try tonight when i get home from work. i need to start fixing all the stupid #$%& that's wrong with my jeep, and this is one of those stupid things lol
Old 06-01-2009, 04:18 PM
"CF Moderator"

Year: 1994
Engine: l6 HO

Originally Posted by jaqattack02
I don't know how you did it. I tried on mine and in the process of twisting and pulling it, the shroud broke in half. Came out quite easily after that...
Mine blew off the picnic table with a gust of wind and split in two so that tells me that the older ones are very brittle. I fashioned a bracket and put it back together...Tj
Old 06-01-2009, 05:18 PM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by TrekkerJmm
Mine blew off the picnic table with a gust of wind and split in two so that tells me that the older ones are very brittle. I fashioned a bracket and put it back together...Tj
I may do something like that. I threw the 2 pieces in the back of the Jeep, so I've still got them. We're probably going to make a run to the JY this weekend, so I'll probably look for one while I'm there anyway.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:50 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0HO

i dont even have a shroud on my 98 and it never overheats. yet i had a 92 and it would run a little hot with out it.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:47 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by jaqattack02

LOL! The exact same thing happened to me a week ago on my '89 Cherokee! It was the original shroud. I just ordered a new one from Team Cherokee. I was thinking of trimming the bottom of the new one a little so I can slide it in and out without removing the fan.

-Bruce

Quick Reply: Installing fan shroud/is removing mechanical fan difficult?