Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

How do you go to the Junk Yard?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 11:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000 Limited
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default How do you go to the Junk Yard?

I read threads all the time about going to the junk yard to get parts. I have never done this. What is involved? Do you bring tools to remove parts yourself? Do you say what you want and they bring it to you? How do they charge for parts? How much time do you spend there? I would like to give it a try sometime as it sounds like fun. Thank you. JB
Old 11-04-2011, 11:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

It depends, they are all different, except pick & pull I guess. You gotta just feel it out, yea take tools. I like to spend some time. Usually you can't rush anyway. Usually I find something I wasn't looking for. Went last week for injectors and came back with (brand new OEM) tale-lights. Make some calls around first to get an idea of prices.
.........................................../\ nearly/\

Last edited by DFlintstone; 11-05-2011 at 11:43 AM.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:15 AM

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Year: 98, 00, 01 and another 01
Engine: both 01 jeeps have viper coil pack

Take tools. Always look for items that are in decent shape,but that you may have trouble locating or are costly if you had to buy them. an example would be an XJ front door check. I needed one and found out they were about $52.00 new. I went to the junk yard and picked up 4 for $5.00 each. I picked up a rear tail light lens for $10.00. I did not need it but a new one would have cost me $72.00. last but not least,haggle over the price. They want top dollar,but thay also want you to come back again.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999

Depends on the yard. Around here there are a few "YOU PULL OUR PARTS" types of yards, where you do all the work. Still others can go either way....with you pulling the part, or their employees doing it. It depends on the yard. Call them to see how they operate.

But definitely bring tools when you go to ANY yard. If you can pull the part yourself, you'll save even more money and by removing the part, you'll learn how it fastens.

I have no issue with salvage yard body parts and I've generally had good luck with major components like engines/transmissions/heads, etc. from a salvage yard, but I don't buy many peripheral parts (starters, alternators, etc) as they usually aren't too expensive to buy new and the reliability factor comes into play with used parts.

Last edited by tjwalker; 11-05-2011 at 06:29 AM.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

If you can find a yard that you can make a friend in, the older smaller yards are usually the place. These kinds of yards have always been good to me, parts are cheap and if they don't have what you need they know who does. These kinds of yards normally do not have a computer, and if they do it is covered in dust and grease, and hummms when its turned on.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:16 PM

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.o

U can use www.car-part.com also. it will give the inventory of the junkyards near you. you just pick up parts at most of these. I like pull a part we have here. some smaller junkyards as stated before will let you get parts or let you go out with the guy that gets the parts for them. Just call ahead or stop by and see.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:27 PM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0L I6

defintely google for a pull your own part jy in your area, much better than the pull it for you places, some things to know for first time jy trip

Take a good set of tools, in a easy to carry case or bag.

Plan for a few hours so you have time to look around

Wear clothes that you can get dirty and real shoes

Most yards will have carts or aframes carry and pull heavy parts.

most are organized by car makes, chevys here, fords here, chry here, etc

Cars are on blocks with wheels removed, might have to find or bring a jack if looking for springs, etc.

The yard will probably charge a $1-$2 entry fee, and have a price list posted at entry or availble if you ask

Take a camera tape measure and gloves

Most have no under 16 years old rules
Old 11-05-2011, 09:53 PM

Year: 1988
Engine: Straight 6

If you know there is something specific you are looking for, ask someone at the counter how much you should expect to pay for it. This helps prevent embarassing suprises on your way out.

You may get a nice discount if you pay in cash (less work for the accountant that way).

If you need an engine or transmission, most yards will already have some pulled or they will haul the vehicle you want it pulled from into a service area and pull it for you. Note for the sake of expediency they often deal with hoses and wiring harnesses with a saws-all a wire cutters.