Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

High idle?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Exclamation High idle?

Ok so ive abused the search button, to no avail...

My idle is anywhere from 1100-2200

Usually closer to the 2200 side.

So, im assuming its a vaccum line, but they are all there? They are all intact and not broken or cracked...

The only thing that i can think of is the EGR, the plastic UFO looking thing is melted to i jumped it (took it out and ran the line accordingly) and ran a vaccum line to the other prong..

turned it over and boom, perfect idle, let it sit for about an hour restarted it and it was back to 1700-2000, it doesnt do the up down up down idle, but i slowly climbs upward and banks at about 2200.

WHATS WRONG WITH My HEEP
Old 11-14-2011, 06:41 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Spray along the intake and throttle body with carb cleaner to check for leaks. DON'T spray your TPS!! Good possibility that your intake manifold bolts have worked loose.

Have you ever serviced your throttle body and IAC by cleaning them?
Old 11-14-2011, 06:44 PM

The mani bolts were the first thing i had thought of, they are tight as can be, the TPS i havent checked yet, nor the throttle body, but i will go ahead and check those, thank you!!!!

any other ideas while im under the hood??? the lap top is coming out side with me ahah
Old 11-14-2011, 06:47 PM

Got a voltmeter to go with that laptop?

RENIX TPS ADJUSTMENT
Before attempting to adjust your TPS be sure the throttle body has been recently cleaned.
It's especially important that the edges of the throttle butterfly are free of any carbon build-up.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Using the positive (red) lead of your ohmmeter, probe the B terminal of the flat 3 wire connector
of the TPS . The letters are embossed on the connector itself.
Touch the black lead of your meter to the negative battery post.
If you see more than 1 ohm of resistance some modifications to the sensor ground harness will be
necessary. The harness repair must be performed before proceeding.
I can provide an instruction sheet for that if needed.
MANUAL TRANSMISSION:
RENIX manual transmission equipped XJs have a three-wire TPS mounted on the throttle body.
This manual transmission vehicle TPS provides data input to the ECU. The manual transmission
TPS has three wires in the connector and they're clearly embossed with the letters A,B, and C.
Wire "A" is positive.
Wire "B" is ground.
Key ON, measure voltage from "A" positive to "B" ground by back-probing the connectors..
Note the voltage reading--this is your REFERENCE voltage.
Key ON, back-probe the connector at wires "B" and "C". Measure the voltage. This is your
OUTPUT voltage.
Your OUTPUT voltage needs to be seventeen percent of your REFERENCE voltage. For
example: 4.82 volts X .17=.82 volts. Adjust the TPS until you have achieved this percentage. If
you can't achieve the correct output voltage replace the TPS and start over.
AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION:
RENIX automatic transmission equipped XJs have a TPS with two connectors. There is a flat three-
wire connector, same as the manual transmission vehicles have, and it is tested the same as the
manual transmission equipped vehicles--FOR ENGINE MANAGEMENT RELATED ISSUES.
However, the automatic TPS also has a square four-wire connector clearly embossed with the letters
A,B,C, and D. It only uses three wires and provides information to the Transmission Control Module.
Key ON, measure voltage between "A" positive and "D" ground. Note the voltage. This is your
REFERENCE voltage.
Back-probe the connector at wires "B" and "D". Measure the voltage. This is your OUTPUT
voltage. Your OUTPUT voltage needs to be eighty-three percent of your REFERENCE voltage.
For example 4.8 volts X .83=3.98 volts. Adjust the TPS until you have achieved this percentage.
If you can't, replace the TPS and start over.
So, if you have an automatic equipped XJ your TPS has two sides--one side feeds the ECU, and
the other side feeds the TCU. If you have TRANSMISSION issues check the four-wire
connector side of the TPS. If you have ENGINE issues check the three-wire connector side of
the TPS.
For those with a MANUAL TRANSMISSION--the TPS for the manual transmission XJs is
stupid expensive. You can substitute the automatic transmission TPS which is reasonably priced.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:05 PM

i just fell off my stool!! THANK YOU SOO MUCH!!!! ill grab my chinsy volt meter and reply back
Old 11-14-2011, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by 89Renix
i just fell off my stool!! THANK YOU SOO MUCH!!!! ill grab my chinsy volt meter and reply back
You better. Be sure to check the sensor ground circuit while you're at it.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:42 AM

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0L

Cruiser must have those instructions on his desktop at this point. They helped me out, thanks buddy!
Old 11-15-2011, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by JohnWongFat
Cruiser must have those instructions on his desktop at this point. They helped me out, thanks buddy!
I have to!!! Just about everything people ask about is TPS or CPS. And, it is usually the problem. That, and grounds, loose intake bolts, ICU contacts, wrongly indexed distributors etc. I've made an outline of instruction sheets I am gonna write. I'm getting them done as I can. Alot of the stuff I post we learned the hard way at the dealership when these Jeeps were new. Alot of it comes from tips I got from JeepTech at the same time but was never released in Technical Service Bulletins. I kept a little book of all the fixes the gave us and I've still got it.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:02 PM

Yeah, I can't wait for the instruction set. That will be super helpful. You showed me the outline and I'll be stoked when you have it ready.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by JohnWongFat
Yeah, I can't wait for the instruction set. That will be super helpful. You showed me the outline and I'll be stoked when you have it ready.
Anything in particular you need now? I've done a few more in rough draft form.

Last edited by cruiser54; 11-15-2011 at 08:51 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:17 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 straight 6

i have the same problem
Old 11-16-2011, 03:53 AM

Nothing in particular unless you have something on injector swaps. I seem to have angered one of mine when I replaced
my water pump. I read the write up on here, and my new injectors should be here by Friday. This Jeep is either trying to kill me or bankrupt me, perhaps both.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:22 AM

Alright so i did the tests (sorry for taking so long) and they alll read the right voltage....

and im kind of at a loss yet again.... could it be vacuum?
Old 11-16-2011, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by 89Renix
Alright so i did the tests (sorry for taking so long) and they alll read the right voltage....

and im kind of at a loss yet again.... could it be vacuum?
Well, you know that stuff is right.

Unless some bozo adjusted the throttle butterfly with the set-screw at one point. That butterfly is supposed to be closed and the setscrew keeps it from wearing into the bore of the throttle body. Idle air goes through another passage in the throttle body.

Still, spray for vacuum leaks first.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:57 AM

which side should i be spraying?? it looks as though all of the vacuum lines are present... damn these vacuum powered heeps -_-

Quick Reply: High idle?