Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Help!! Rear main seal still leaking!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 06:16 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO K&N filter #703 injectors
Default Help!! Rear main seal still leaking!!

I just don't understand??? This is going to be the 5th try on fixing rear main seal leak... I've read everything on the net. I'm cleaning everything, using an anaerobic sealant... Any ideas. I'm done this so many time I've got it down to 2.5 hours lol!
Old 11-18-2012, 07:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

I assume you're using the two piece replacement seal and changing it out by dropping the pan and loosening the crankshaft bearing caps?

These can be tricky. Are you making sure you're getting sealant on the tips of both halves where they meet once installed?

What are you using for a pan gasket and associated sealant when you put it all back together?

Are you sure it's not a valve cover leak tracking down the backside of the block so that it looks like a rms leak?
Old 11-18-2012, 07:21 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L Renix Freshly Rebuilt!!

X2 on the possible valve cover leak idea. Might also be a oil filter adapter o ring leak. Or maybe a distributer gasket leak. Any of these can imitate a rear main leak.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:26 PM
Seasoned Member

I only put the sealant on the bottom halve of the RMS.... I'm using a one piece rubber oil pan gasket with grey oil resistant RTV.. I had changed the valve cover gasket about a year ago. It looks a little moist but nothing like the way the oil is pouring out! I'm going to try again next weekend
Old 11-18-2012, 07:47 PM
Seasoned Member

Ill check the Dist gasket. I did the OFA a couple if months ago that got rid of a lot of my leaking!
Old 11-18-2012, 08:28 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

I'd be looking up ABOVE first, and VERIFYING the source of the oil leak YOURSELF.
Everybody, who doesn't own or have to pay for or perform your vehicle repairs, loves to poke their noggin UNDER the Jeep and come out bearing the false bad news that your RMS is leaking.
Many mechanics, friends, and good old Uncle Bob seem to enjoy telling you it’s the rear main seal. Has a catastrophic ring to it, doesn’t it?
A simple leak at the back of the valve cover or other source could produce the same symptoms. You don’t need to be a mechanic to figure this out. If you have good eyesight and a dim flashlight, you’re good to go on your own. Don't jump on the RMS/oil pan gasket bandwagon right off the bat.

Almost any oil leak on your 4.0 is gonna drip from the RMS area for two simple reasons.
First off, the engine sits nose-up and any oil will run back to the RMS area. Secondly, the RMS area is also the lowest point on the engine. Simple physics and the old plumber's adage apply here. "$hit flows downhill".

Valve cover gasket, oil pressure sending unit, oil filter adapter seals and distributor gasket, in that order, have to be eliminated as possibilities first.
Revised 9-15-2012
Old 11-18-2012, 09:44 PM
Seasoned Member

More info the oil is dripping out of the slot between the bellhousing and the alum guard so it's coming off of the engine side of the flywheel...
Old 11-18-2012, 09:47 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by ptreaster
More info the oil is dripping out of the slot between the bellhousing and the alum guard so it's coming off of the engine side of the flywheel...
The upper half of the bell housing engine block and everything else is dry ( since I've done this s couple of times I've cleaned it each time ) just the oil running out of the slot
Old 11-18-2012, 11:55 PM

Engine: 4.0L 6 Cyl

The upper half of the bell housing engine block and everything else is dry ( since I've done this s couple of times I've cleaned it each time ) just the oil running out of the slot
Check first what Cruiser54 is suggesting. I did my RMS last year. It is been leaking since. One area of the pan gasket I had difficulties with is at the back of the pan. I couldn't get the gasket to stay in place. I'm pretty sure it is twisted or just not in place correctly. I need to do it again while I am doing other things down there. But my distributor gasket is leaking pretty badly as well. I'll fix everything at the same time. I still don't know the best way to keep the rear of the pan gasket in place.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:04 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997

i just got my rms done 2 weeks ago. well my jeep started leaving puddles (bigger than before) a few days ago. i did the OFA o rings today. hoping that was it. good luck man. i feel your pain.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:37 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

Originally Posted by mlepesant

Check first what Cruiser54 is suggesting. I did my RMS last year. It is been leaking since. One area of the pan gasket I had difficulties with is at the back of the pan. I couldn't get the gasket to stay in place. I'm pretty sure it is twisted or just not in place correctly. I need to do it again while I am doing other things down there. But my distributor gasket is leaking pretty badly as well. I'll fix everything at the same time. I still don't know the best way to keep the rear of the pan gasket in place.
A dab of RTV should do the trick to keep the pan gasket in place when putting it back on
Old 11-19-2012, 01:28 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 I6

you sure you didnt score your crank when removing the old rear main seals? Its possible you may have, and it will never seal again and leak like a pig. I hope that isnt the case.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:57 PM
Seasoned Member

All fixed!! Didn't do anything different this time but no leak! Thanks for all the input
Old 12-25-2012, 01:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 88

Or possible having the seal face the wrong way or you bent your pan. I just finished rms on a Cadillac with a 4piece pan gasket. And no leaks so far used Indian head gasket between the the cap and on the seal and along the pan just to hold the gasket somewhat on, rtv on each side where the gasket meets up, tighten up bolt even, fill her up and test for leaks.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:14 PM
CF Veteran

All fixed!! Didn't do anything different this time but no leak! Thanks for all the input
Congrats!

Quick Reply: Help!! Rear main seal still leaking!!