Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

help please...harmonic balancer keyway fell in

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default thrust bearing, crank?? Help needed, was harmonic balancer issue.

Hello,

New here, but not the post I wanted to start with..

Just picked up a 91 cherokee and it was making a pretty nasty sound after reading here I decided it was the harmonic balancer, went a got one and while removing it I saw the keyway fall with in, what are my options now? Is pulling the oil pan my best way to get at it or would it not have fallen to the pan?

thanks

Last edited by ducter; 01-18-2012 at 04:59 PM. Reason: trouble shooting changed
Old 01-10-2012, 02:16 PM

Got it to drop into the pan by putting the bolt for the balancer back in and turing the motor over by hand till I heard a "tink" lol, now dropped the pan as far as I can get it to go but cant figure out how to take the pan out to put on a new gasket and just dont think I can get the oil pan clean enough in place for a new one.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:05 PM
kjc
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Laredo

Originally Posted by ducter
Got it to drop into the pan by putting the bolt for the balancer back in and turing the motor over by hand till I heard a "tink" lol, now dropped the pan as far as I can get it to go but cant figure out how to take the pan out to put on a new gasket and just dont think I can get the oil pan clean enough in place for a new one.
What year? On my '93 Laredo, I had to unbolt the oil pump and remove the starter to get the pan off. It was still a tight fit, but it did finally wiggle out.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:13 PM
kjc
CF Veteran

What year? engine? On my '93 Laredo 4.0L, I had to unbolt the oil pump and remove the starter to get the pan off. It was still a tight fit, but it did finally wiggle out. Are you saying the woodruff key fell in the oil pan from outside the engine? It's been a while since I replaced my balancer, but isn't there a crank seal that would prevent it getting inside the crankcase? Could it have maybe fallen into the timing cover? I just can't see how an external part gets past the timing cover or crank seals.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:08 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0

Leave it in there and get a new one! Its not going anywhere.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by kjc
What year? engine? On my '93 Laredo 4.0L, I had to unbolt the oil pump and remove the starter to get the pan off. It was still a tight fit, but it did finally wiggle out. Are you saying the woodruff key fell in the oil pan from outside the engine? It's been a while since I replaced my balancer, but isn't there a crank seal that would prevent it getting inside the crankcase? Could it have maybe fallen into the timing cover? I just can't see how an external part gets past the timing cover or crank seals.
Its a 91 4.0. I just got the pan out a few minutes ago, I had to step away for the evening before lighting a torch under the Jeep and walking away lol. Ended up removing the starter and jacking her up pretty damn high...jack stands on wood blocks , but anyways cleaning the pan now for the new gasket. It did fall into the timing chain, but turning it by hand allowed it to fall into the pan.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by UJSLOST
Leave it in there and get a new one! Its not going anywhere.
I thought about that..but I am one of them people that the thought of the keyway just roaming where ever it wanted in the timing gear possibly destroying the gears or chain would forever be in my mind. If I knew for sure it went to the pan I wouldnt have worried over it.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Sorry man, what a *****! (I'd frame that one and install a new). Yea, book says to shift the pan and remove the oil pump. Hope you found your problem. Granted its the other end but the torque converter bolts are known to loosen and cause a knock, and if you drop something thankfully it will just hit you on the head! (inside old computer hard drives are nutty strong little magnets btw,)

OH! check the rods while you have the pan off. (if your balancer wasn't the problem)
Old 01-11-2012, 10:32 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1988

Id buy a new oil pump and install that while I had the thing out. Piece of mind, ya know.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:05 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

I thought about that..but I am one of them people that the thought of the keyway just roaming where ever it wanted in the timing gear possibly destroying the gears or chain would forever be in my mind. If I knew for sure it went to the pan I wouldnt have worried over it.
Coulda just put a computer hard drive magnet on the bottom of the oil pan.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:17 AM

I finished everything up and all looks good, I started up to check for leaks and I noticed the belt had came off the hb about an inch. I check the balancer and the bolt is still tight yet i can push it back by hand. I got everything back in place and tried again, same results. I don't really know where to go from here?
Old 01-12-2012, 05:29 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

look down all the pullys make sure there straight and in line
Old 01-12-2012, 07:03 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

How did you install the HB? They don't just slide on and the crank bolt isn't long enough. It's possible that it's not bottomed out yet. Make sure it's torqued down correctly.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:25 AM
kjc
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Cherockee
How did you install the HB? They don't just slide on and the crank bolt isn't long enough. It's possible that it's not bottomed out yet. Make sure it's torqued down correctly.
What he said.. and don't press it on by the outside of the HB, only apply pressure to the inner 'race' (for lack of a better term)
Old 01-12-2012, 11:44 AM

Well I have pulled the hb and re-installed it, same results. Starts up with the belt on the hb and with in a second or so it pops off and rides on the side closest the timing cover. I was using a hb installer kit and have clicked 80lbs on my torque wrench so not thinking its not on enough, this last time I really laid into it and still wont budge anymore.

Not sure what to pursue at this point in the game, been on my back under jeep for 3 days and honestly need to figure it out and get it fixed. This is ridiculous that a simple harmonic balancer change has turned into this.

Anyone know about the thrust bearing? Major job to have done at a shop?

thanks, the guy with the jeep in the garage

Quick Reply: help please...harmonic balancer keyway fell in