Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Help with Electrical/Wiring "Mods" from PO..

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 01:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Help with Electrical/Wiring "Mods" from PO..

All,
I just pruchased this jeep a little over a week ago and I am trying to go through it to make sure things are right.

Pic of Jeep

The first thing that bothers me is the Temp. gauge. It will only register to a little past the first tick mark on gauge.

Pic of gauge...

Thats as high as it goes. When I first got the Jeep it was working fine. I dont like driving around not knowing the exact temp. The PO also made a "mod" to the thermostat housing.

Not sure if this is causing the problem or not.

The second thing is that he wired the electric fan to come on when key is in the acc. position. It is wired directly to the fuse block in the cab of the Jeep. This does not really bother me too much but I know it isn't right.

Its the Blue wire. Havent figured out what the red, yellow and black are there for yet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have not purchased a Haynes/Chilton yet as I am waiting to find a good deal on an FSM.

Matt
Old 07-20-2011, 04:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0L I6 MPI "Power Tech HO"

For the fan, see if you can find the sensor still on the block and just wire it back up, he might have been a cheapo and didn't want to buy another sensor.

For the Thermostat housing, where is that second line going to? the yellow one.
I would assume that sense the Temperature sending unit is no longer in the thermostat housing it wouldn't give you an exact reading, but there's no way it could be THAT off. Maybe if you place is back where it should be, it will work fine. It all depends on what that yellow wire does I guess.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:23 PM

Thanks.
I have to trace out that yellow wire. I goes into the wire loom and hard to visually trace with out a wiring diagram. Gonna have to go get a Haynes manual.

Matt
Old 07-20-2011, 10:47 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Barlow
For the fan, see if you can find the sensor still on the block and just wire it back up, he might have been a cheapo and didn't want to buy another sensor.

For the Thermostat housing, where is that second line going to? the yellow one.
I would assume that sense the Temperature sending unit is no longer in the thermostat housing it wouldn't give you an exact reading, but there's no way it could be THAT off. Maybe if you place is back where it should be, it will work fine. It all depends on what that yellow wire does I guess.
it does throw it that far off. i tried this before i just put my new sensors inline instead of in the housing
Old 07-20-2011, 10:49 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Fornstar
Thanks.
I have to trace out that yellow wire. I goes into the wire loom and hard to visually trace with out a wiring diagram. Gonna have to go get a Haynes manual.

Matt
what do the fans look like. are they both elecrtric? or is it 1 mechanical fan and one electric fan. what does the wiring look like going to the electric fan?
Old 07-20-2011, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by posjeepxj
what do the fans look like. are they both elecrtric? or is it 1 mechanical fan and one electric fan. what does the wiring look like going to the electric fan?
1 mech and 1 elec. The electric is still hooked up to the factory connectors. They spliced the wires after connector with wire nuts and hard wired it to the fuse box. I will snap a pic tomorrow.

Matt
Old 07-21-2011, 12:57 AM

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

where the yellow wire hooks into the harness is just about where the original temp sender for the gauge is, and if that little setup is throwing off your temp gauge then that will explain why the po hooked the fan to ignition power, cuz the fan will never turn on if the ecm thinks the temp is that low.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:24 AM

Found this thread this morning.
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/nee...or-gauge-8358/
I think the PO extended the Sending Unit with the yellow wire to the T-Stat housing and added the TEE to put the CTS on one side and the Sending Unit on the other.

The thing that makes me wonder is that it was working when I fist got it. Temp gauge was registering a normal temp reading.

Back to troubleshooting today when I have the time.

Matt
Old 07-21-2011, 06:48 PM

Think I found the issue. The pigtail that plugs into the sending unit was making a bad connection. Took off the plastic piece and just plugged it in and seems to work. Let it idle for a while and it got up to almost 200*. I was also taking voltage readings as it was idling just out of curiosity. Cant really drive it around right now cause I have had a few cold beers in the process of working on it. Live right by the sheriffs dept. so it can wait till tomorrow.

Matt