Sponsored by: DashLynx

Just picked up my first Cherokee!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 98
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Just picked up my first Cherokee!

Just made my first Cherokee purchase! It's a 93 sport 4dr 4x4 auto 198k. Little lift, not sure the brand but it has skyjacker shocks and a skyjacker stabilizer. It runs great shifts great. The water pump started leaking this morning on the po.. the driver side rocker is pretty rusted and the floor pans need a little attention but oh well..I've come to realize that anything this old is gonna need floor pans. But the interior is clean. Couple oil leaks nothing to bad. I just got done changing the water pump and thermostat in it. And everything is good. What I got to thinking tho, on the gauge cluster, there is only a fuel gauge and a speedometer.. but then there is just a light for charging, oil pressure and coolant.. why doesn't it have actual gauges? but I got it for $1900..
Old 11-13-2011, 10:50 PM

Year: 1996

Its either an option or the model. I can't remember. Just get one from the junkyard, everything is plug and play.

Great looking Jeep!
Old 11-14-2011, 12:05 AM

That was gonna be my next question is if it is plug and play.. if I swap out clusters tho, what about the odometer?

Also something I just noticed, is it is burning oil, I never noticed it when I test drove it and was looking it over, but I had it sitting there idling when I was picking my fiance up and I noticed blue smoke coming out of the exhaust. I'm pretty sure that the pcv needs to be replaced as the hose going to the air box is very oily and it got a little oil in the air filter, I'm gonna be putting a different intake on it so that will eliminate the hose going to the air filter. But the guy I bought it from said it didn't use any oil.. the oil was just changed last week in it at valvoline.. what's your alls opinions on the oil burning subject? Something that needs attention or an easy fix? Or just don't worry about it and drive it like normal? Thanks everyone, I can't wait to start doing some stuff to it! Well the first thing that is happening the the pink bow hunter sticker on the back window is coming.off but lol
Old 11-14-2011, 05:08 AM

Year: 1996

For the odometer either find a cluster that is close or remember what your miles were and what the new one is at when you replace it. I've seen people engrave the miles in the glovebox. As for the oil figure how much you burn between oil changes. Just keep an eye on it. If you burn more than a quart that's when I would start figuring out why. Remember to take into account how much is leaking.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:30 AM

I used the handy dandy search button and it seems to be that I may have over paid by a lot... Everything I found about blue smoke all points to a full rebuild.. definately not what I want to have.. my buddy has a 93 with 260k on original motor and his doesn't hardly leak or blow smoke..