Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Heater Core brand/advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 02:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Heater Core brand/advice

Been lurking for a while, and finally joined up to get some advice...

I'm about to dive into the heater core and evaporator core replacement. I don't want to do this again anytime soon, so the most complete!

I've read through tons of old threads between here and NAXJA, but with a mix of info and input, I still have a couple questions...

1. Ive noticed some have had problems with Spectra brand aluminum heater cores, and I'd like to go with copper and brass if I can. So who makes the best, short of spending $400 at the dealer? Also, whats a good brand of evaporator core?

2. What other parts, might I need, such as foam seal, etc. I'd like to get everything togther before diving into it.

3. Any additional tips, or advice?

Thanks!!
Old 08-02-2013, 07:05 AM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

A while back, there was one vendor that provided XJ heater cores that were similar to OEM, but I can't find any evidence of them manufacturing them any longer.

So as hard of a pill as it is to swallow, I'd close your nose and spend the $400 and buy the factory heater core. Especially if you plan on keeping your XJ

The cheap-o $70 cores are very hit and miss with a lot of miss. And with replacing the heater core being a total PITA, you don't want to find out a year down the line that you have to do it again. Search and you'll find a number of others who have had that fate.

Go with the factory Mopar core.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000

Originally Posted by tjwalker
A while back, there was one vendor that provided XJ heater cores that were similar to OEM, but I can't find any evidence of them manufacturing them any longer.

So as hard of a pill as it is to swallow, I'd close your nose and spend the $400 and buy the factory heater core. Especially if you plan on keeping your XJ

The cheap-o $70 cores are very hit and miss with a lot of miss. And with replacing the heater core being a total PITA, you don't want to find out a year down the line that you have to do it again. Search and you'll find a number of others who have had that fate.

Go with the factory Mopar core.
south american made cores are like $70.ish as TJ sezs, factory core? well over $300.00
Old 08-02-2013, 07:50 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

400 bucks? I don't think so. There has to be something better. I'll be diving into this job eventually...no way in hell I'm paying that much for it PLUS all the labor involved.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

I did the Spectra aluminum one about 10 months ago and no problems... yet. *knocking on wood*.

I never knew heater core was one of those dealer recommended parts. Sucks that it's so damn expensive. But sounds like you better start scrapin up those pennies

Rockauto.com has them for 50-70 shipped. But if they're hit and miss, I wouldn't chance it
Old 08-03-2013, 02:39 AM
kjc
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Laredo

Check here, maybe?
http://jeep-air.com/