Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Heater core

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 06:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Heater core

SO, the previous owner of this '88 XJ did a whole lot of hackish junk to it and I have been trying to get it all straightened out and non-hackish.

One of the things they did was to bypass the heater core by just running the output hose right back into the return. The heater core hoses are just sitting there hanging freely.

I could easily just connect the hoses back and route coolant through the heater core, and actually have a heater this winter, but I fear that they may have bypassed the core for a reason. Perhaps the core was/is leaking?

Is there some easy way to check if the core is ruptured without risking coolant leaking into the cab?

There are more cooling system issues too, such as the overflow tank is not even connected to the system. It is like the dude just did the most hackish job possible and all the coolant/water in the system is contained within just the radiator and the block and the hoses... Royal pain in the astlebar...
Old 11-07-2014, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994

Sounds like you need to begin with a new heater core, and go from there.
A factory service manual, (Ebay etc) would help a lot to get your Jeep back to where it should be.

Bill
Old 11-07-2014, 07:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1987

Hook a hose up to one side and cap the other off. Start flushing water in there and build up some pressure and see if it leaks. Best advice I can give you without physically pulling it out
Old 11-08-2014, 07:04 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by Crazy 8s
SO, the previous owner of this '88 XJ did a whole lot of hackish junk to it and I have been trying to get it all straightened out and non-hackish.

One of the things they did was to bypass the heater core by just running the output hose right back into the return. The heater core hoses are just sitting there hanging freely.

I could easily just connect the hoses back and route coolant through the heater core, and actually have a heater this winter, but I fear that they may have bypassed the core for a reason. Perhaps the core was/is leaking?

Is there some easy way to check if the core is ruptured without risking coolant leaking into the cab?

There are more cooling system issues too, such as the overflow tank is not even connected to the system. It is like the dude just did the most hackish job possible and all the coolant/water in the system is contained within just the radiator and the block and the hoses... Royal pain in the astlebar...
Coulda been leaking or clogged.

Look under the passenger side carpet......

Do you want me to look at the underhood hacking on your Jeep and/or compare to under my hood?
Old 11-08-2014, 10:01 AM

I have been straightening it up, but there is still more to do...
Attached Thumbnails Heater core-jeep-40.jpg  
Old 11-08-2014, 10:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

Looks like it has the '91 up "open system" radiator conversion and the open system MUST be plumbed (rubber hose) from the nipple below the rad cap to a recovery bottle that fills/empties at the bottom and the bottle must be open to the atmosphere.

Another thing to be cautious of is, I don't think the later model "open system" radiators have a coolant temp sensor (for the efan) in the side of the rad like the "closed system" rads have......so how is the efan being activated by the coolant temp sensor when needed?

Some hack jobs r simply incredible.......but hey, it's amazing that the fan shroud is still there.

Last edited by djb383; 11-08-2014 at 10:48 AM.
Old 11-08-2014, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by djb383
Looks like it has the '91 up "open system" radiator conversion and the open system MUST be plumbed (rubber hose) from the nipple below the rad cap to a recovery bottle that fills/empties at the bottom and the bottle must be open to the atmosphere.

Another thing to be cautious of is, I don't think the later model "open system" radiators have a coolant temp sensor (for the efan) in the side of the rad like the "closed system" rads have......so how is the efan being activated by the coolant temp sensor when needed?

Some hack jobs r simply incredible.......but hey, it's amazing that the fan shroud is still there.
The radiator has a neck for a radiator cap so I think it was swapped from some other Jeep or maybe ordered that way. The little hose from the rad cap to the bottle is all hacked up too, and I will replace that soon.

By 'hack job' I mean that whoever did this stuff to it did half-**** ghetto-style work to it. It would have only been a few dollars more to do it right, but they skimped on everything.

I might just leave the heater core bypassed because I am back in Phoenix now and it doesn't get cold enough to use the heater....but I do need to make sure the system works properly cus come summertime it gets really friggin hot and I don't want to be blowing steam...
Old 11-08-2014, 02:51 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by djb383

Some replacement radiators for open systems have the bung for the fan switch.
Old 11-08-2014, 05:58 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Some replacement radiators for open systems have the bung for the fan switch.
That's good info to know. Knowing that tidbit should be helpful to someone doing the conversion.
Old 11-08-2014, 06:03 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Crazy 8s
.........The little hose from the rad cap to the bottle is all hacked up too, and I will replace that soon........
Keep close tabs on the coolant level in the rad 'til that situation is corrected. Check coolant level in the rad, motor COLD, very frequently......as in each time it sits/cools and before starting again. When hot, coolant exits that nipple and air is sucked into the rad when the motor cools. Multiple heat/cool cycles means more and more air in the system if coolant is not replaced.