Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Head Liner Sag

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: '93
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L straight-6
Default Head Liner Sag

My head liner is sagging so i took it out, I dynomatted my roof and now i need to put the head liner back in.
The only problem is that i dont want to waste a buncha $$$ on something i can probably do myself.
Has anyone done their own roof lining before and did it come out good.
Thanks for the help!
Old 03-10-2010, 03:39 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996 Limited
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

I havent taken mine all the way out but It was sagging really bad, So I just took the trim off by the door and took my over head console off and where the console was I cut it and sprayed 3M Spray adhesive in it and just pushed it up and to the door. Worked good for awhile but I think I didnt use the rigth one (I just had it laying around) So IM ganna do it again with 3M 80 spray. It says can be used for automotive headliner.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:46 PM

i was guessing there was some kind of spray glue adhesive out there for head liner cause there is no way im gana pay $175 to have it done. plus i already did the hard part: taking down the head liner.
did you use any kind of a roller after you sprayed it?
Old 03-10-2010, 03:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 I6

rip it out!
Old 03-10-2010, 03:54 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

I have acually HELPED redo a few.. dude that worked at garage i did selling cars did it on side for extra money.. use to charge like 75 - 100 bucks.. in away.. its worth the money to have a pro do as its messy to do right..
BUT it isnt hard to do.. so... basicly remove the old liner then get a putty knife and a shop vac and scrape all the old foam and glue off that you can... once you do that.. take some 80 grit sand paper and go over it real good and vacuum it all up... the new headliner will not stick to the old glue and foam... aint gona happen.. now .... cut new head liner little bigger then the old one.. use 3M HIGH STRENGTH spray adhesive.not the reg 3m stuf.. they make 2 kinds... regular and high strenght,,,make absolutly sure you get the high strength... spray even coats on both the headliner and the new material ... spray in 1 direction then 90% so you get a good even coat..let it sit up for 15 minuts or as the directions say on can... You will need a hand laying the new liner on the cardboard part..it will make it 100000000000000 X easyer. start in the middle and work you way out to edges with a paint roller... :} after you are done.. flip over and pull the edge over and trim it about 1 inch from edge...:} hope this helps... also.. google vids on this and you can watch people acually show you how to do it....
Old 03-10-2010, 04:10 PM

wow that helps alot!
that is exactly what i was looking for and i really appreciate it!
Old 03-10-2010, 04:15 PM

Year: 2008
Engine: 3.0L CRD

i have the same problem. i was thinking of using some canvas to cover the liner with, but i don't know if the material is too heavy, or if it will be fine. i think it will be alright, but you know how it is, don't want to waste money on a material that won't work.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:13 PM

the canvas might be a little heavy but just use the 3m super adhesive that "HOMERSIMPSON" was talking about and you probably wont have a problem.
not only that but the $ saved can be put toward more important jeep stuff.
you know how it goes!
Old 03-10-2010, 07:16 PM

and here is a good tip for anyone who is doing their headliner.
i called an upholstery shop that does it and the guy said that he only takes one side of the panels off so its not so difficult to put back on.
i took it all off cause i dynomatted my roof, and it wasn't that hard.. just alot of misc. pieces like screws and panels and o-s**t handles.
good luck
Old 03-10-2010, 07:22 PM

Year: 2008
Engine: 3.0L CRD

Originally Posted by 93xjpm
the canvas might be a little heavy but just use the 3m super adhesive that "HOMERSIMPSON" was talking about and you probably wont have a problem.
not only that but the $ saved can be put toward more important jeep stuff.
you know how it goes!
sounds good. thanks for that input.

if all else fails, i can get light weight **** to put in there, lol
Old 03-10-2010, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Hommersimpson
I have acually HELPED redo a few.. dude that worked at garage i did selling cars did it on side for extra money.. use to charge like 75 - 100 bucks.. in away.. its worth the money to have a pro do as its messy to do right..
BUT it isnt hard to do.. so... basicly remove the old liner then get a putty knife and a shop vac and scrape all the old foam and glue off that you can... once you do that.. take some 80 grit sand paper and go over it real good and vacuum it all up... the new headliner will not stick to the old glue and foam... aint gona happen.. now .... cut new head liner little bigger then the old one.. use 3M HIGH STRENGTH spray adhesive.not the reg 3m stuf.. they make 2 kinds... regular and high strenght,,,make absolutly sure you get the high strength... spray even coats on both the headliner and the new material ... spray in 1 direction then 90% so you get a good even coat..let it sit up for 15 minuts or as the directions say on can... You will need a hand laying the new liner on the cardboard part..it will make it 100000000000000 X easyer. start in the middle and work you way out to edges with a paint roller... :} after you are done.. flip over and pull the edge over and trim it about 1 inch from edge...:} hope this helps... also.. google vids on this and you can watch people acually show you how to do it....

I do Suede headliners for alot of cars and in my own evo...

if very easy to do but like he states above you just rip the old stuff off get all the old glue off and use a 3M spray 80 and up there are more than 2 kinds there are about 10.. autozone sells a high stregnth that says for headliners and it is clear so it wont seep color thru the fabric .... fold the cloth in half and only spray half the headboard at a time .. Make sure you spray EVENLY and spray BOTH the cloth and carboard! this will make it much easier for you to work with a smaller area vs the whole thing at once.. let the glue stand for about 3 min to get tacky then lay the cloth ontop and smooth out if you get bubbles just pop them with a pin.. its pretty self explanatory from there.. let the first side dry overnight before you go at the second side.. then 24 hours for the 2nd side before handling and or putting back in the car..
Old 03-10-2010, 07:34 PM

im going to do exactly that!
thanks so much for the imput, im going to autozone tomorrow and i will pick some of that adhesive up.
and to DagBMX if you put the **** in as the roof liner you have to send me a pic of that! hahaha very classic idea lol
Old 08-19-2011, 12:57 AM

Well i completed this about 8 months ago but finally got around to posting a pic.. so here is the final product!
let me know what you guys think

http://s1207.photobucket.com/albums/...=headliner.jpg

Last edited by 93xjpm; 08-19-2011 at 01:03 AM.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

I use my jeep for work. It's not pretty. As said the foam deteriorates, that's why it fell off. 1/4 inch staples in a staple gun. With the right pressure you just hear them ping the metal. I never look up there, but I think it's working as its no longer hitting my head!
Old 08-19-2011, 06:15 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by 93xjpm
Well i completed this about 8 months ago but finally got around to posting a pic.. so here is the final product!
let me know what you guys think

http://s1207.photobucket.com/albums/...=headliner.jpg
Realtree? I like it.

Quick Reply: Head Liner Sag