Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

getting ready to buy an old cherokee, need help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default getting ready to buy an old cherokee, need help!!!

hey everybody, im new to cherokees, and im getting ready to get my hands on a 1993 jeep cherokee. ive been told ahead of time that it has new tires, the power windows have been repaired and the engine is running good, but it is leaking transmission fluid.

obviously, my main concern is the tranny leak. where are the common leak points for transmissions on these cherokees? it isnt a wheeling rig, it is a 4x4 thats been used more for hauling soccer kids than hitting the trail, so it should be in decent shape.

im hoping that the tranny pan is where its leaking from, but what if its the seal where it mounts to the motor, or a hose or something like that? i will be getting this cherokee for 500 bucks if i make the deal. is this worth it if it has a tranny fluid leak?

any help with this would be really appreciated, have a good day and a great labor day weekend everyone!
Old 09-01-2011, 11:56 AM

i have a '00 and it was a daily driver as well. Pan gasket leak.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:12 PM

awesome. thanks for the tip. if it is the pan gasket, that would be a dream being that its an easy fix. any other common leak points that youve heard of?
Old 09-01-2011, 12:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 L

Howdy and welcome to fun world of jeep!

ok, being new and all, what is your threshold of pain when it comes to working on these vehicles? if you are concerned that you will have dirt under your fingernails still after 3 days of washing them, then you might wanna have someone else do the following; (otherwise, come along and enjoy the fruit!)....

on a level surface with a hose nearby with a decent amount of pressure and a sprayer.....

get two cans of GUNK engine brite/cleaner...

on your back near under the trans area.....completely soak each side of the trans and drive shaft and bell housing and back of the engine with the GUNK.... one can each side.......using the hose as a constant water source leave this running under the car to mix the drippings off ( gunk is biosafe regardless what people think)...i.e. have the hose running while you are applying the gunk.
after you have applied the GUNK.......wait 15-20 minutes......then hit both sides with the hose with the sprayer.......

this will clean SOOOOOO much crap off, it will astound you!!!!

start jeep, let idle for 20 minutes.....this will heat up engine tranny etc etc.

shut off jeep... wait 10-maybe 30 minutes.........

using a flashlight, a rag and your keen sense of mechancial genuis (we all have it doncha know?).....inspect the trans area for any wetness that might be a DARK red...... your fingertips are quite a usefull tool here!

if... its anywhere around the pan, then you need a new gasket etc.

if....its wet between the front of the trans and the back of the engine (bell-housing) you might be looking at a front tranny seal.

if....its wet where the driveshaft enters the tranny, then its the rear seal.

anyway......thats my two cents!

best of luck!

cpnwrench

Old 09-01-2011, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by LONO100
awesome. thanks for the tip. if it is the pan gasket, that would be a dream being that its an easy fix. any other common leak points that youve heard of?

head cover gasket. thats about it. no problem!

consider if it has air and it doesnt work, thats a headache, gotta take of the dash and all that jazz...
Old 09-01-2011, 12:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Rear main seal is super common.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:45 PM

thanks for all the great tips fellas. i by no means consider myself a mechanic, but i am not affraid to get dirty. i enjoy learning by doing and as long as it doesnt involve using a timing gun (which i dont have) or resetting gears, or opening up a transmission, i am up for the challenge. i recently just rebuilt my old isuzu rodeo motor (minus doing the timing), and installed aussie lockers in my explorer sport trac. hope you guys dont hate me for owning other rigs, but i pretty much have no preferences and will appreciate any rig. ill be selling my rodeo for 2500 and getting a 93 cherokee 4x4 and im looking forward into learning the rig in and out. thanks guys. ill post pics if all goes well and i come home with a cherokee tomorrow.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: Four Point Slow

I'm sure you already know this, but if you put a new pan gasket on it, be VERY careful threading the bolts back in. The aluminum trans case is very soft compared the the steel bolts. I crossed up one of mine and ate up the threads. It ruined my day. Just some friendly advice! Good luck with the purchase.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:51 AM

thanks for the tip. youre right, you can never be too careful threading bolts into an engine block or tranny. i was rolling along changing out the valve cover gaskets on my engine the other day thinking i was making great time until i snapped a bolt in the engine block. that took me an extra couple hours just trying to get the broken stud out, and then scouring the earth looking for a replacement.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Sounds like you're getting great advice here. My stuff generally leaks faster, I might watch it right after I clean it. Since it's new you might want to watch for oil leaks too. I like the car wash. Has cement unlike my place, also has a deal that catches the oil in the runoff. That's fine with me. Then of course the hot high pressure is OK! (I'd dress right and wear glasses). That way only my ears come out oily.