Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

gas tank?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default gas tank?!

Hey all..I been searching though here and have yet to find what Im looking for. My gas tank popped a little hole in it..I had a little seepage so I new it was coming sooner or later..The cheapest I found (around here) to have one put in is $288...thats with a new one installed..I DID however find a bone yard that has one pulled off an XJ, good shape, $50. Problem there is I have no idea how to install it, nor do I think I jave the right tools. I have a decent amount but...anyway..today I looked at it and basically it was a flake of rust holding the leak LOL..
While I was feeling around the rust moved and now it is streaming. I have it going to a catch pan for now and I think I was down to a gallon or so left anyway...
Question is...is there a good patch I can use for a day or 2? Anyone have experience with this? Is it hard to install a new one myself? Its my only vehicle, so even if I take it somewhere or go get that used one, I need a temp plug to get there. Thank you in advance for any advice
Old 07-13-2012, 03:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Temp patch.... grab a sheet metal screw a few sizes larger than the hole and an o-ring.
Clean around the hole so the o-ring seals. Cover the whole mess with epoxy if you like.
Or use one of the epoxy patch kits...they'll hold for a short while.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

Originally Posted by Radi
Temp patch.... grab a sheet metal screw a few sizes larger than the hole and an o-ring.
Clean around the hole so the o-ring seals. Cover the whole mess with epoxy if you like.
I was going to say duct tape but that's probably a better idea.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:03 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 1996sportXJ
I was going to say duct tape but that's probably a better idea.

Gorilla tape might hold for a little while. That stuff is like duct tape on steroids.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:12 PM

didnt think of that..My only reservation is that if the original material is that weak that it rusted thru, would there be enough to thread a sheet metal screw? I guess you wouldnt know unless u saw it and I was basically thinking outloud haha..but sounds like a good idea...and duct/gorilla tape would hold on a gas tank? wouldnt the gas seep thru? I did think of epoxy but wasnt sure if gas would eat away at it (like it did to my plastic screwdriver handle lmao)
Originally Posted by Radi
Old 07-13-2012, 04:15 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Blkjck77
My only reservation is that if the original material is that weak that it rusted thru, would there be enough to thread a sheet metal screw?
That's a good possibility. As you mentioned, tough to say without seeing it.
Epoxy holds up under gas just fine. I have carb'd cars with Quadrajet well plugs sealed with JB weld...going on 10+ years now. No leaks.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:17 PM

yeah..2 days ago I bought some "gas tank repair" **** at fleet farm but I dont have alot of faith in in..looks like a tube of play-doh...I shouldve just grabbed some rubber cement or JB..ugh
Old 07-13-2012, 04:19 PM
CF Veteran

.looks like a tube of play-doh..
The stuff you roll up and stuff into the hole? Might work fine. Is it epoxy-based, or actual play-doh? You were in the "auto" aisle, right? Not next to an Ez-Bake oven or anything?

Last edited by Radi; 07-13-2012 at 04:21 PM.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:26 PM

haha yeah auto section..problem is: **** has to be dry surrounding the area or it wont stick...and I have to enlarge the hole to make it plug..right now its a lil bigger than a pin hole..I hate to make it larger if I dont have to...but yes its the roll **** for gas tank/radiator
Old 07-13-2012, 04:33 PM
CF Veteran

haha yeah auto section..problem is: **** has to be dry surrounding the area or it wont stick...and I have to enlarge the hole to make it plug..right now its a lil bigger than a pin hole..I hate to make it larger if I dont have to...but yes its the roll **** for gas tank/radiator
Well heck then...try the sheet metal screw first. If it just makes the leak bigger, then you've got the enlarged hole for the patch putty ready to go.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:34 PM

see if I was at work this would be alot easier..sadly its 40 miles away..I could take a tank off an old Peterbuilt..fold the back seat down, run the lines, ......hahah kidding..would be funny I guess..but I would have the right tools and supplies for sure..kind of jerry-riggin it here