Recall. Confusion

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 06:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7
Default Recall. Confusion

I know we have already discussed this issue here. And I thought I understood what was going on. I got the card in the mail a month ago. Called the number. They put me on hold, called the local DODGE dealer. I told them I had no after market or factory installed hitch. They set up an appointment for me to bring my WJ in today one and they would install one. I did, they did. I came home, went on line to fill out the info to get the $100 card and the form would not take my VIN. So. I called. The lady told me that I didn't qualify for either the hitch or the card! She wanted to know who told me to that I qualified for a hitch. I explained to her what happened as stated above. She put me on hold to speak with a Supervisor , came back and reiterated that those of us without hitches , were not to get one. They only wanted to verify that a factory hitched had been installed by the factory (they would get a gift card just for checking in)and inspect the after market hitches to see if they were the type able to protect the gas tanks. And if not they would be replaced,and given a gift card. She also said they'd send me a gift card anyway, just because of the confusion.

I did a search and did not get anything different than what I thought I understood initially. I did bump into another Jeep forum and there was 7 pages of conversation about this topic. Some folks, like me without any hitch got them. Some were told they didn't qualify. So just for conversation. Here is my experience. Good luck.
Old 09-17-2015, 07:22 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

So...you got a free hitch, and a $100?

I really don't see the issue here...
Old 09-17-2015, 07:41 PM

I did! No issue really. I can't figure out why it's as confusing and contradicting as it is. Not sure I should have gotten anything. This is a huge company that was bankrupt not that long ago. You figure they would be much better at this given the numbers.
Old 09-17-2015, 07:41 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

Winner winner chicken dinner!

What ya gonna get with the gift card? I'm partial to zebra pattern seat covers. Tres cool!
Old 09-17-2015, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Should have pushed them for an aftermarket bumper.
Old 09-17-2015, 09:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

Originally Posted by roninofako
So...you got a free hitch, and a $100?

I really don't see the issue here...
Yea I'm with you on this.

OP, what year is your jeep anyways. You ain't say
Old 09-18-2015, 09:50 AM

My profile says 2000 WJ.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:53 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by blueseasons
My profile says 2000 WJ.
Hey guess what, not everyone can see profiles, like mobile site users and some apps.
Old 09-18-2015, 11:25 AM
CF Veteran

A little googlefoo came back with this, and this is why you're asked what year you had.

Vehicles Recalled

Here's how the recall will work, according to Chrysler:

- The company will recall 1.56 million Libertys from 2002 through 2007 and Grand Cherokees from 1993 through 1998. If they don't have factory or Chrysler "Mopar" trailer hitches, dealers will install them. The heavy metal hitches bolt to the frame and help bolster protection for the gas tank.

- About 1.2 million Grand Cherokees from the 1999 to 2004 model years will be part of the "customer service action." Owners will get notices saying their vehicles are fine if they have factory or Chrysler trailer hitches. Dealers will inspect other trailer hitches to make sure they're secure. But if the Jeeps don't have trailer hitches,Chrysler won't do anything, maintaining that the Jeeps are safe and do not need any changes. A Chrysler spokesman was not sure how many of the SUVs are without trailer hitches.

In a letter to Chrysler dated June 3, NHTSA's Office of Defects Investigation told the company all of the Jeeps should be recalled. "The defects present an unreasonable risk to motor vehicles," the letter said, "because people ... have burned to death in rear impact crashes."

NHTSA began investigating the Jeeps at the request of the Center for Auto Safety, a Washington, D.C.-based advocacy group, that also says all the Jeeps should be recalled. "In view of Chrysler's refusal to recall 1999-04 Grand Cherokees, we call on NHTSA to move to an initial determination of a defect in order to force their recall as well," Clarence Ditlow, the center's director, said in a statement late Tuesday.

Ditlow also said NHTSA should test the trailer hitches to make sure they protect the gas tanks.

An agency spokeswoman said Tuesday evening that she was checking into details of the recall.
Old 09-18-2015, 01:55 PM

Sorry brother. No offense intended. I don't have mobile anything. Just a old flip type phone. I wouldn't know what can be seen or not be seen on anything other than a computer.

And I read that. And apparently the person I spoke to at Chrysler didn't. They contacted the local DODGE dealer here while I was on the phone with them and arranged for me to take the vehicle in for the inspection. And when I did , they installed a hitch. The notice I got in the mail said to call em, even if I had no hitch. That's what I am saying.
Old 09-18-2015, 02:06 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by blueseasons
Sorry brother. No offense intended. I don't have mobile anything. Just a old flip type phone. I wouldn't know what can be seen or not be seen on anything other than a computer.

And I read that. And apparently the person I spoke to at Chrysler didn't. They contacted the local DODGE dealer here while I was on the phone with them and arranged for me to take the vehicle in for the inspection. And when I did , they installed a hitch. The notice I got in the mail said to call em, even if I had no hitch. That's what I am saying.
According to the article, you're suppose to get a letter. If you had a factory hitch they inspect it. With out a factory hitch they do nothing, for WJs. ZJs get better treatment and libertys. Theres a lot of confusion with dealerships still because its still in the works. In a few weeks when its sorted, this will be a thing of the past.
Old 09-19-2015, 02:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Called the dealership yesterday about my letter I received last month on my 2004 GC it said to wait till after the 15 to call. The service manager told me to come by and they would look at my factory installed Class IV hitch and I would get a $100 Visa card I think it was anyway a 100 bucks is always good.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:03 PM

Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 liter inline 6

Dang i want a 100$ gift card but my model already has the hitch installed