Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Fuel Pump Noise II

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 04:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Fuel Pump Noise II

Last year my fuel pump started making a whining noise. It was so loud it went over my music sometimes. It turns out a rubber piece of the pump disintegrated and chunks of it going stuck in the pump, which caused the issue apparently. I replaced the pump with a nice Airtex one with a big filter, and the noise stopped. Recently, it started up again. It usually starts after about 20 minutes of driving or so. My thought is that maybe the fuel line is kinked or possibly replace the injectors? The fuel filter is new as well. I've been contemplating swapping in Neon injectors anyway, can't hurt, right?

Any other ideas?

I can take a video too if it'll help.

Cheers
Old 03-15-2012, 05:21 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Perhaps TJWalker will chime in about Airtex pumps.........
Old 03-15-2012, 05:53 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Perhaps TJWalker will chime in about Airtex pumps.........
Are they that bad of a pump? I mean it was the only brand the local shop carried, and I have a lifetime warranty with it. I'm just puzzled as to how I'm getting the same issue I did before.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by 92XJGuy
Are they that bad of a pump? I mean it was the only brand the local shop carried, and I have a lifetime warranty with it. I'm just puzzled as to how I'm getting the same issue I did before.
lifetime warranty get another
Old 03-15-2012, 06:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Do you still have the ballast resistor there on the inner fender by the air cleaner? It's to quiet the pump, some people can it. & yea, was it only TJ? Airtex has gotten some bad press here for sure.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by freegdr
lifetime warranty get another
Get another brand.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999

Cruiser54 knows that I'm not shy about my opinion of Airtex pumps.

A search of this forum and the internet will yield a number of hits. And yes, I have had personal experience with this brand. Multiple times. Longevity is not their long suit, nor is noise, but that is my humble opinion. Some of them sound like a jet airliner throttling up for takeoff. Yes, some people will get lucky and have a reasonable service life with an Airtex. But I am not going to take that chance any longer.

Airtex is often offered as a low price point by many parts stores. Lifetime warranty doesn't mean much to me if you have to replace it frequently. I prefer to pay more for a quality pump and not have to worry about it for 200k.

My first choice is Bosch when it comes to fuel pumps. But they also are the most expensive. My second choice is Carter.

Last edited by tjwalker; 03-25-2012 at 07:11 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by tjwalker
I'm not shy about my opinion of Airtex pumps. I like them approximately as much as I like a root canal, kidney stones, slipping off the seat and falling on the bar of my bike.

The amount of complaints about this brand is really off the charts. It's not just me. A search of this forum and the internet will yield a number of hits.

Airtex is often offered as a low price point by many parts stores. Lifetime warranty doesn't mean much to me if you have to replace it frequently. I prefer to pay more for a quality pump and not have to worry about it for 200k.

My first choice is Bosch when it comes to fuel pumps. My second choice is Carter. My third choice is anything but Airtex!

C'mon Tom. Let your hair down and tell us how you really feel.

I'm with you on this. That bike thing made me cringe. Ugg.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:21 PM
CF Veteran

The previous brand wasn't an Airtex though, what could be causing it? Do Airtex pumps have a tendency to make these noises?

Thanks

Cruiser54 knows that I'm not shy about my opinion of Airtex pumps. I like them approximately as much as I like a root canal, kidney stones, oh and...... slipping off the seat and falling on the front bar of my bicycle.

The amount of complaints about this brand is really off the charts. It's not just me. A search of this forum and the internet will yield a number of hits. And yes, I have had personal experience with this brand. Multiple times. Longevity is not their long suit, nor is noise. Some of them sound like a jet airliner throttling up for takeoff. Yes, some people will get lucky and have a reasonable service life with an Airtex. But why would you want to take the chance??

My first choice is Bosch when it comes to fuel pumps. But they also are the most expensive. My second choice is Carter. My third choice is anything but Airtex!

Just saw that you posted this. Thanks! I'll look into getting a different brand then.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:31 AM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L

Also there is a rubber isolator made on to the bottom of the tank that gets old and falls apart. The return line seats in it and for me, it was a B**** to get the thing seated so I pulled and cleaned the tank while it was out. Installed the sending unit and reinstalled the tank, no more airtex noise. Before it would get loud and stall.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:45 PM
CF Veteran

So my Airtex pump has been fine up until recently.. I lifted my Jeep, and ever since then the whining noise is really loud, and comes out every time I drive now, kind of like it used to, but then it went away. Since I'm not in a rush to get a new one (it's still working), I'll buy a better one online, instead of going to my local auto store. I was checking RockAuto, since I assume that's the best place, but I'd like to know what brand to get. Bosch? Carter? Will this noise go away with a better pump, or could there be something in my tank?

My first fuel pump made this noise, took it out, found chunks of rubber in the pump, and the rubber was from the pump, it just deteriorated.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Get another brand.

My first choice is Bosch when it comes to fuel pumps. But they also are the most expensive. My second choice is Carter.
Sort of looks like anything but airtex.....There is no brand on the one I had the impeller drive pin shear on.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:33 PM
CF Veteran

I'm leaning more towards the Bosch OEM one for like $67 on RockAuto.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:47 PM
CF Veteran

Bosch or this one? http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...505&cc=1180112

And is that all I need to replace my pump, or does that not come with something?