Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Whining/grinding sounds from front end

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whining/grinding sounds from front end

I have a 2001 auto and just recently put a re 3.5 superflex on. Anytime I am moving I get a whining sound from my end and it gets louder as my speed increases. It was very quiet before the lift, but still there if you listened. It got significantly worse after the lift. I'm getting a new track bar soon to re-allign the front axle.

I have removed the front ds and the sound is still there, only it sounds like it doesn't have a load.

I changed the diff and transfer case fluid and both were fine.

Also when I have my jeep jacked up and I move the tires the pads rub against the rotors. Could that be the source of my grinding sound?
Old 10-25-2012, 12:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

sounds like wheel bearings...anyone else?
Old 10-25-2012, 12:47 PM

I thought it was my wheel bearings because the axle is two inches off center because of the track bar. But wouldn't the sound change in pitch of I were to turn? And have play in the wheel when moving it off the ground? Neither of which I have.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:42 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L with throttle body spacer and cold air intake, bored throttle body, #784 injector upgrade

If it is in your front end ( you didn't specify... only stated my end ) and your getting a whining sound I would look at your gears. Wheel bearing maybe but if you jacked up the front end and checked to see if there was any play by pushing on 12 & 6 and then on 3 & 6 and got nothing then it wouldn't be them. Also your pads should rub a little bit... that is how they keep themselves clean.

If it's your rear axle i would check your gears and your bearings inside of the axle ( should do that i on but i forgot to put that for the front as well ) looking to see if you have any pitting or damage.

When i lifted mine i ended up having to do bearings on both axles with in the year.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:55 PM

Yes it us my front end. I changed the front diff fluid and didn't see anything out of the norm. Of course I didn't check the pinion bearing.

I think its either my bearings on the wheels or pinion.

Which bearings did you have to change?
Old 10-25-2012, 03:52 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L with throttle body spacer and cold air intake, bored throttle body, #784 injector upgrade

Originally Posted by dewyer86
Yes it us my front end. I changed the front diff fluid and didn't see anything out of the norm. Of course I didn't check the pinion bearing.

I think its either my bearings on the wheels or pinion.

Which bearings did you have to change?
carrier. I actually had to pull the front diff apart and pull out my carrier and have the old bearings pressed off and the new ones pressed on. When you pull it you will be able to look at the races.. they will show if their is any real problems. If there is some marks that are starting you would most likely be better off replacing them then as it is unknown as to how long they will last before they start really making noise.

The hub bearings ( wheel bearings ) assembly started to make a groaning growling sound when mine went. See testing procedure in my first post to check if those are bad. I have heard of a bent dust shield rubbing on the rotor making a whining sound before so check that too.