Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Default Fuel Pump

Hello All,

I replaced my fuel pump and now am not getting any fuel to fuel rail (schrader valve). I hear the pump engage when I turn the key on, but obviously something is wrong. When I pulled the line on the fuel filter to replace the pump, I put a bag over the end of the filter to keep any debris from blowing in (the filter looks pretty new). Some liquid dripped out into the bag and the residue looks like blood. Is that normal? What would cause that?

Old 02-04-2019, 05:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Did you get pressurized air coming out of the fuel rail? It can take several pump cycles after replacing a pump to get the entire fuel line repopulated with fuel. Also, the pump doesn't necessarily cycle every time the key is turned, especially if its several times back-to-back. If there is any doubt about the fuel filter, why not replace it now?

As for the coloration, was that drainage from the filter in the same direction as the fuel flow? probably going the other direction right? Its just washing all the particles of rust and crud that have gathered in there over time. Another sign that replacing it isn't a bad idea.
Old 02-04-2019, 05:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Along with what Jordan mentioned, it is possible to get a DOA pump right out of the box. In fact, it isn't unusual at all. Especially with certain brands like Airtex. What brand pump did you install?

Turn the key on/off a number of times to fully populate the fuel line. With the color of that fuel though, I'd first replace the fuel filter no matter how new it looks! They are inexpensive and easy to replace on your vintage XJ.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:35 PM

I don't get pressurized air coming out of the fuel rail. The pump is a Carter, and I hear it engaging but am not getting anything from the fuel rail. I'll pull the hose off the fuel filter inlet and see if there is any fuel there. I haven't replaced it yet because parts are hard to get here in Costa Rica.

The red residue coming from the inlet side of the filter concerns me though. It has more of a transmission fluid type consistency than rust particles. Unfortunately I don't know much of the history of the car, and it had running issues before I replaced the pump.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:33 PM
awg
CF Veteran

Received 605 Likes on 515 Posts
Year: 96
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

picked up a very cheap spare XJ, non-goer, as the PO told me the fuel tank was full of crap (also minus a brake master cyl)

I removed and cleaned the tank, new fuel pump, used master, and she was good to go

...and NO, that red **** is far from normal, and could easily clog a pump or filter
Old 02-05-2019, 10:44 AM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

Are there any differences in the gasoline being that you're in Costa Rica? For example, here in the states if you buy "off road diesel" fuel (high sulfur content diesel that is illegal to use in a vehicle that drives on any public road), they put a dye in it to identify it. Its a bit of a stretch, but could you confirm that there's nothing like that going on? Perhaps an additive?

I have to think it's rust related - does the inside of the tank look dirty or discolored?
Old 02-05-2019, 08:29 PM
gat

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Engine: 4.0L L6 PowerTech (stock)

What is the year? Some have a return line on the fuel rail that you can pull to watch for fuel to release. You can push the pin on the Schrader valve to allow air to escape provided that that is a concern.

If it an older XJ, then you may have lost the rubber tubes connection to the pump. It could be pumping just fine, but not directed out of the tank.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:36 AM

Okay, I got a new fuel filter and will be installing that. It appears, however, that I did something wrong on the fuel pump install. I pulled the line going to the fuel filter, put it in a bottle, and turned the switch. Although I briefly hear a sound like the blowing of a fan coming from the back of the vehicle, no fuel is coming out of the fuel line.

The Carter pump that I installed didn't come with any instructions. There were a couple of things that made me pause as I was installing it. The first thing was the wires going to the pump. Does anyone have a picture or diagram of which wire is supposed to go to which terminal? The second was the strainer. As far as I could tell, I installed the strainer in the only direction possible due to the tab alignment. But is it possible that I installed that, or the hangar assembly itself, upside down?
Old 02-07-2019, 03:12 PM

I'm an idiot. I had the pump rotated 180 degrees so the wires were reversed.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:26 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 2.5 liter

Your not an idiot as evidenced by your ability to learn. Glad you got the ole girl going again and thanks for letting us know what you found.

Happy Jeepin'
TexasTaz38
Old 02-08-2019, 03:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

There is a pic in my sig of how the rubber cone fits in the bottom of the tank for the earlier front mount pumps.