Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Fuel pump woes with questions for fuel pump gods

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990 2door
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Fuel pump woes with questions for fuel pump gods

I replaced my fuel pump on Dec 1st. I got it from "A" parts store. I had a mechanic put it in. Normally I do it myself, but the fuel pump thing kinda made me hesitate...It's now June. I got into my rig this morning and it started right up. then shut right down. I normally hear my fuel pump activate. No sound. I assume it's bad so I start the process of taking it out and replacing. The inner o-ring gave me a little trouble, but eventually came off. Once I got it reassembled, I noticed that the fuel pump "Brackets" are kinda bent at an angle ( like a pinch ), well that's what it looked like when I took it off, so I figure that it ran before, it will run again with no problems. So I try to put it in and it's like it's hitting the bottom of the tank. I've tried repositioning the strainer (it wasn't seated right to begin with) and still the same problem. Does ANYONE know how to correct this or what may be causing the problem???? I am suppose to go to work tonight and can't. I've been trying to figure this out all day. I've called mech buddies and parts stores and they all say the same thing...It shouldn't be that hard...Yeah, I know...This is my last hope. I know I should get a completely new fuel pump assembly. And as soon as I can, I will. This is just a quick fix. I was thinking of trying to upgrade. Does anyone know if a YJ or ZJ or any other fuel pump assembly is compatible? I know this is long and I apologize, I'm just frustrated and out of time. Thanks for any help that anyone can provide
Old 06-10-2010, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990 2door
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

one more thing...It's a 90 6cycl, power everything...I think it was suppose to be the top of the line or something...it came with every kinda feature anyone would want. Again, thanks for the info