Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Front Crossmember Repair

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L
Default Front Crossmember Repair

Hi all,
After I buried the front of my Jeep into a concrete barrier this winter, I finally got around to pulling off everything that was damaged. The bumper and its mounting brackets were trashed, so I picked up replacements from the junkyard. I have all the parts I need to get started, but I am having an issue with the driver's side corner of the front crossmember.
The sheet metal is completely folded over, making the mounting holes unusable. I could use some pointers as to how exactly I should bend it back. I went at it with an angle grinder, hoping to perforate the creases, but I was still unable to make it budge with the hammer I was using.
Essentially, I am wondering if there is a tool or procedure that I should be using to straighten out the metal, or if I should just take it into a body shop and have them reshape it.
I have attached some pictures of the damaged area below. The evening light makes it a bit hard to see where the bends are, so let me know if I should take more photos.

Old 08-01-2018, 09:27 PM

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
Model: Cherokee

It's hard to tell from the pictures but it looks like it's primarily the bracket that bent. I had this same thing happen on mine. Luckily the bumper and brackets took the impact and not the body/frame. I got new brackets from the junkyard, but they are also available new:

Amazon Amazon

I wouldn't bother trying to straighten the old ones. Not worth the effort given the price of replacements.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by dzywicki
It's hard to tell from the pictures but it looks like it's primarily the bracket that bent. I had this same thing happen on mine. Luckily the bumper and brackets took the impact and not the body/frame. I got new brackets from the junkyard, but they are also available new:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004GCSN5W..._t2_B004GCSN4I

I wouldn't bother trying to straighten the old ones. Not worth the effort given the price of replacements.
The (mangled) bracket had already been pulled off when I took this photo. You're looking at the 2-holed tab that protrudes from the end of the crossmember that accepts the bracket bolts. I will be sure to upload some better pictures tomorrow to show how the tab has been folded inwards.
I already picked up some brackets from the junkyard about a month ago, but I'll keep the Amazon option in mind if I break or bend the ones I have.
Thanks for the link and the reply!
Old 08-01-2018, 10:32 PM

I see now. That is a tricky piece to unbend. For reference, I attached some pics when I had this all apart. I can't see how you can get this straight with a hammer. I would guess a frame puller machine could pull it out. Needs some serious force in a controlled way to pull that straight.
Old 08-01-2018, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by dzywicki
I see now. That is a tricky piece to unbend. For reference, I attached some pics when I had this all apart. I can't see how you can get this straight with a hammer. I would guess a frame puller machine could pull it out. Needs some serious force in a controlled way to pull that straight.
Thanks for the pics! Gives me a better view of what I'm dealing with.
My main issue right now is getting enough clearance to swing a hammer. At the moment, I have the horn, header panel, etc. keeping me from taking some whacks at it with a full sledge. If I had it apart like you do in the photo, I could probably get it to budge a little more easily.
I'll post some photos of my current situation and hopefully get some feedback on what the best plan of attack is. I don't have the budget or the space for a frame puller, but maybe I could get creative with the come along.
Regardless, I think I will go get some estimates from body shops tomorrow. Then I get to decide whether I value my money or my time more...

Last edited by bread_bird; 08-01-2018 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Removed photos from quoted reply
Old 08-02-2018, 01:19 AM
awg
CF Veteran

Received 602 Likes on 512 Posts
Year: 96
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by bread_bird
I'll post some photos of my current situation and hopefully get some feedback on what the best plan of attack is....
if you want to pull forward, you could use the 2 front bolt holes, and a chain to something solid, reverse back a bit. I cant quite tell if thats the angle from your pics

I pulled out a scrunched up rear frame rail that had been hit from behind so hard the rear hatch wouldnt open, big tree, big chain...be careful!

Old 08-02-2018, 11:43 AM

Here are some more pics of the damage:

Old 08-02-2018, 03:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

I'd try the chains and come-along. If you use the chains and tree, have a helper slowly back up the Jeep while you monitor the section and get it just enough so you can hammer it. Maybe a big pair of pliers to get some leverage on it.
Old 08-03-2018, 06:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 224 Likes on 174 Posts
Engine: 4.0 L

BFH?
Old 08-03-2018, 03:31 PM

Today I was able to straighten out the tab piece so that it's perpendicular to the crossmember. I found vice grips to be very helpful, but I still had to lean into them pretty hard.
I also went out and bought a tool with a crowbar end on one side and a sliding clamp system on the other. I levered it against the backside of the mounting tab and pushed the bottom half forward by about 1cm, which moved one of the mounting holes roughly back to where it should be.
I still have to pull the top and rear mounting holes back into plane, and I don't have any good lever points left. I think I will have to use the come along that I own. Unfortunately, it's being stored about two hours away from me right now, so it might be a little while until I can make any more progress.
I will keep everyone updated, and will add photos of today's work when the weather improves.

Originally Posted by XJlimitedx99
BFH?
I don't have the clearance to swing a sledgehammer right now, and I'm really trying to avoid removing the header panel. I will definitely think about it if the come along doesn't work.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:13 PM
awg
CF Veteran

Received 602 Likes on 512 Posts
Year: 96
Engine: 4.0

I still have to pull the top and rear mounting holes back into plane, and I don't have any good lever points left.
I was taught the best way is to exactly reverse the direction of impact force, if possible. It looks to me a bolted on bracket may have distiributed the initial impact.
Therefore, I would consider making a plate with 3 or more holes. bolt it to the damaged area you want to pull forward..with the chain, tree & assistant
Old 08-03-2018, 07:27 PM

I don't have the clearance to swing a sledgehammer right now, and I'm really trying to avoid removing the header panel. I will definitely think about it if the come along doesn't work.
The header panel takes 5 minutes to remove. It's not necessary, but will get breakable things out of the way. Do a quick search on finding an original replacement header panel. The aftermarket ones will be black and plastic and not have the JEEP letters. An original fiberglass one is very rare nowadays.