Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Flushing AW4 fluid

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Flushing AW4 fluid

So I have a XJ with a AW4 auto trans. My breather hose fell off and I didnt notice until after going through a few creek crossings. Anyways its filled with water and I want to do a complete trans flush. It has 196k and I dont think its every been changed. I heard it could start slipping if I flush it. How hard would it be to replace the clutch (or whatever could start slipping)? I dont really want to buy a new transmission so what do you think the best option is?
Old 12-11-2018, 09:21 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990

Just do a few drain and fills with Dex/Merc fluid.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:54 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by cruiser54
x2
Old 12-12-2018, 01:37 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000

And after you do what cruiser54 and GreaseMonkey17 said extend all your breather lines (rear diff, transfer case, and transmission).
Old 12-12-2018, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Ralph77
And after you do what cruiser54 and GreaseMonkey17 said extend all your breather lines (rear diff, transfer case, and transmission).
I've been wanting to do that for a while but I havent been able to figure out what size breather lines to get or how the connect anywhere online.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Thanks. Would the dex/merc fluid stop any slipping that happens?
Old 12-12-2018, 07:51 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990

Originally Posted by Djbtraxxas
Thanks. Would the dex/merc fluid stop any slipping that happens?

It's just the proper fluid, not magic. Just get it done.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:50 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000

Originally Posted by Djbtraxxas
I've been wanting to do that for a while but I havent been able to figure out what size breather lines to get or how the connect anywhere online.
For starters. Digging through my files I think I found the receipts for what I used to move the 3 breathers.
Also I think I remember that I did not use all the hose I bought for each one. Just wanted to make sure I had enough. So you might want to measure a little more accurately. Might save yourself a couple bucks in the end.
Also I put the TC and tranny breathers where the front diff breather is. In hindsight probably better to secure it to that big loom on the firewall on the passenger side. Which might save you a couple more bucks in hose.
The TC and tranny lines have what I refer to has a check valve on the end. Least I am pretty sure.
All I did was extend the TC and tranny lines cutting the hose just below the check valve.
Will take a little patience to find them. You will be looking from the top and from the bottom tracing the hose to the top.
Pretty sure both traced up to the passenger side around the tranny dipstick near the firewall.
Also before I cut off the check valve for either I tied it off so the hose would not drop down and get lost in there.

So the white breathers are the factory ones for the front diff.
Part Number J5352955. RockAuto has them but I just ordered mine through my local Jeep Dealership.

I buy most of my parts at Napa. So I am going to give you those part numbers. Sure you can find hose, connectors, and clamps anywhere. Just look up the part numbers at Napa for the specs.

Transfer Case
Hose H-176 qty 4'
Fitting 90-554 qty 1
Clamps 705-1226 qty 3

Tranny
Hose H-176 qty 4'
Fitting 90-554 qty 1
Clamps 705-1225 qty 1
705- 1226 qty 2
So Here I can't remember why I used one different clamp. If I had to guess the 1 705-1225 was probably used on the end of the existing tranny hose to secure the fitting.

Rear Diff
Hose H-176 qty 11'
Clamp 705-1226 qty 2
This one was easy. Just put the hose on the rear brake line block, run it all the way to the engine compartment, securing with zip ties along the way.
This one will go where the front diff breather is cause you are already on that side.
Some guys run them up behind the tail lights. That would save a lot of money on hose.

Couple more things.
Might find it tough getting the Mopar breathers or the connectors into the hose. That is where the brake cleaner trick comes in. Spray the end of the hose.
The brake clean does something to the hose to make it a little easier to get things in there that just quite won't fit. Gotta be quick though.
Also I use brass connectors. I am sure plastic one can be had, would work just as well, and might save you even a couple more bucks.
I just wanted to be able to clamp down on them good without fear of breaking the plastic.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Ralph77
For starters. Digging through my files I think I found the receipts for what I used to move the 3 breathers.
Also I think I remember that I did not use all the hose I bought for each one. Just wanted to make sure I had enough. So you might want to measure a little more accurately. Might save yourself a couple bucks in the end.
Also I put the TC and tranny breathers where the front diff breather is. In hindsight probably better to secure it to that big loom on the firewall on the passenger side. Which might save you a couple more bucks in hose.
The TC and tranny lines have what I refer to has a check valve on the end. Least I am pretty sure.
All I did was extend the TC and tranny lines cutting the hose just below the check valve.
Will take a little patience to find them. You will be looking from the top and from the bottom tracing the hose to the top.
Pretty sure both traced up to the passenger side around the tranny dipstick near the firewall.
Also before I cut off the check valve for either I tied it off so the hose would not drop down and get lost in there.

So the white breathers are the factory ones for the front diff.
Part Number J5352955. RockAuto has them but I just ordered mine through my local Jeep Dealership.

I buy most of my parts at Napa. So I am going to give you those part numbers. Sure you can find hose, connectors, and clamps anywhere. Just look up the part numbers at Napa for the specs.

Transfer Case
Hose H-176 qty 4'
Fitting 90-554 qty 1
Clamps 705-1226 qty 3

Tranny
Hose H-176 qty 4'
Fitting 90-554 qty 1
Clamps 705-1225 qty 1
705- 1226 qty 2
So Here I can't remember why I used one different clamp. If I had to guess the 1 705-1225 was probably used on the end of the existing tranny hose to secure the fitting.

Rear Diff
Hose H-176 qty 11'
Clamp 705-1226 qty 2
This one was easy. Just put the hose on the rear brake line block, run it all the way to the engine compartment, securing with zip ties along the way.
This one will go where the front diff breather is cause you are already on that side.
Some guys run them up behind the tail lights. That would save a lot of money on hose.

Couple more things.
Might find it tough getting the Mopar breathers or the connectors into the hose. That is where the brake cleaner trick comes in. Spray the end of the hose.
The brake clean does something to the hose to make it a little easier to get things in there that just quite won't fit. Gotta be quick though.
Also I use brass connectors. I am sure plastic one can be had, would work just as well, and might save you even a couple more bucks.
I just wanted to be able to clamp down on them good without fear of breaking the plastic.
Thanks a lot for that. Somehow water is getting in my rear diff too so I have to fix that too while i extend all the other ones. I've been trying forever to find out the hose sizes and stuff like that.