Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Evaporator question

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 06:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Default Evaporator question

So of course my jeep has the infamous evaporator leak and gotta remove the dash and all that good stuff. But just a question regarding the leak, Can it leak to the point it can give you a headache? im suspecting a yes because everytime i drive my jeep i get a headache and i got a pretty good leak in my system. And that begs another question as a few people told me constantly recharging it will kill the ac dryer?
Old 12-05-2018, 07:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 149 Likes on 126 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: Turbo 4.0

From the SDS
INHALATION: R-134a is low in acute toxicity in animals. When oxygen levels in air are reduced to 12-14% by
displacement, symptoms of asphyxiation, loss of coordination, increased pulse rate and deeper respiration
will occur. At high levels, cardiac arrhythmia may occur.

Last edited by Cummins93; 12-05-2018 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Auto correct is a turd.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by EEVEE
So of course my jeep has the infamous evaporator leak and gotta remove the dash and all that good stuff. But just a question regarding the leak, Can it leak to the point it can give you a headache? im suspecting a yes because everytime i drive my jeep i get a headache and i got a pretty good leak in my system. And that begs another question as a few people told me constantly recharging it will kill the ac dryer?
Some people are more sensitive to fumes they are breathing, regardless of whether they are toxic or not. For example, when I was younger, any hint of an exhaust leak into the cabin made me very car sick and gave me head aches rather quickly. While those around me rarely even noticed. As I got older, this got a lot better (thankfully). So yes, your system might be particularly sensitive to it.

Do cans of dust-off (the kind you buy at office supply stores) give you head aches when you use them? Because they are the same chemical (Yes that's right folks! same chemical, and sold for the express purpose of releasing into the atmosphere, with no restrictions, go figure). That is because those strict rules regarding the handling of R-134a are in effect only when it is being used as a refrigerant, but not when it is used for other purposes. The CRC product "Freeze-Off" also uses the same chemical with some penetrating oil added. This particular chemical has a special property in that it is very endothermic when it drops in pressure, such that when it goes from high pressure (in the can) to low pressure (you pressing the button and spraying it out) it gets very cold (this is why dust-off cans freeze up on you if you spray them too long). Your AC does the same thing, it pressurizes the chemical in the high pressure part of the system, and releases it through a tiny valve and allows it to expand into the low pressure side of the system, when this happens the cold result is used to cool air for your comfort.

Every time your AC system leaks out, that means that normal atmospheric air is getting into it. That air contains a lot of moisture (relatively speaking). Your AC system is designed to have very, very little moisture in it. And even the tiny amount of moisture that remains in it is designed to be captured by the dryer. So yes, a system that leaks perpetually (recharged, but not fixed) will eventually have bigger problems due to moisture accumulating. The moisture can allow for corrosion on very low tolerance ports and parts, that will fail with any type of blockage present. The moisture will also crystalize and freeze when suddenly dropping in pressure (what your AC is designed to do) leading to blockages of the system that will keep it from cooling (it may cool for a bit, then freeze up, then stop cooling for a while until things unfreeze, then cool for bit, all the while putting extra strain on the compressor until the system turns it off to protect it).

Last edited by jordan96xj; 12-05-2018 at 08:45 PM.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0l

Coincidentally i just got finished trying to solve a repeatedly clicking keyboard switch with a can of duster well actually 4 with no headaches at all. And i figured it is detrimental to the system but i love my ac lol
Old 12-06-2018, 02:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

It could be an exhaust leak or mold that is causing your headaches. When you do go pulling the dash apart - give the heating ducts a good cleaning and disinfecting.