Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Engine: no crank, no start

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L 6 cyl
Default Engine: no crank, no start

So I guess I'll throw my question out there now. So I've had my 1997 Cherokee 4.0L 6 cylinder about 3 weeks now, and so far about three times it's done this to me. What happens is when I turn the key, everything stats as normal, but when i turn it all the way to start the car...nothing happens. All that happens is the chimes beep, all the lights come on and go out, but the "brake ((a))((!))" lights stays on and lights up with each turn of the key. It used to be that i could put it in neutral and the car would start right up, but this time it's not. It just sits there, and i hear like a clicking over by the fusebox in the cabin, but nothing happens. I tried jumping it and nothing happened. I was thinking it could be the starter so i grabbed a screwdriver and started hitting it, but nothing happened. So I'm at a loss for ideas. Any suggestions?
Old 04-23-2014, 04:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Neutral Safety Switch issue sounds like.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by freegdr
Neutral Safety Switch issue sounds like.
That's what it sounds like to me too. You may need to adjust it or give it a good cleaning and re-grease. Here's a link on how to clean it.
http://www.bc4x4.com/tech/2010/jeep-...ty-switch-nss/
Old 04-23-2014, 07:50 PM

Engine: 4.0L 6 cyl
Default Thanks!

Thanks for the suggestions and the link, I'll have to look at it my next day off. When i looked at the jeep earlier tonight, i noticed some fuses were missing too so i popped those in. Later on i went back to the jeep and hit the starter with a hammer, it started then died, then started right up. So I'm still hoping it's just the starter so i can replace it easily, but I'll look at the Safety Switch later on too. So my next question has to do with the a/c, i don't know whether this is the correct place to put the question or not, but i thought it would be easier since i'm already on this thread. Anyway, when i turn the blower on 1-4, it only blows out the defrost vents, no matter what the level is set on. And it blows hot air out of the right vent and normal fan (or a/c it's honestly hard to tell really sometimes) out of the left one and the window vents. The face or foot vents don't work. The heat works fine, and it's not really that big of an issue, i would just like to know if there are any thoughts on what's happening out there. Thanks in advance!
Old 04-23-2014, 07:51 PM

Engine: 4.0 straight 6

Had the same issue with my 97 xj. I would say 99% its the nutural saftey switch. With mine if you run the shifter from park to 1st and back a few times it would normally start. Are your reverse lights working? Thats another sign of a bad nss if their not. If you search the forum for nss im sure you will find a link to a page on how to take them apart and clean them....since a new one is almost $300. Problem is majority of the time they break before they come off....or so im told. Thats why im trying to put mine off...lol. Although my computer is now throwing a P0705 code....which from the research ive done on here is normally the result of a bad nss...lol but thats beside the point...lol. anyway id definitely suggest looking at the nss as the result of your problems.
Old 12-30-2016, 09:31 PM

Engine: inline six 4.0 liter

There is a vent flap which breaks and falls within the a/c, can be replaced. Having similar issues with starting, advice to clean the NSS first seems sound.
Old 12-30-2016, 11:43 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000 and 1998
Engine: 4.0

some starters have brittle permanent magnets,very strong magnet but a hit with a hammer can crack the brittle material,= end of starter, dead!
Old 12-31-2016, 12:08 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 I6

Almost certainly your Neutral Safety Switch. It's a pretty easy removal and cleanup. If I recall, I was able to do a roadside emergency bypass of this thing, too, but for the life of me I can't remember how.

Your AC problem you should be able to trace by taking the dash apart and following the cable that leads from your level control; sometimes this cable is literally just hung up on something, or broken at one end. I can't remember if your year uses vacuum to actuate the vent flaps, though; if it does, vacuum leak will also cause this. Mine I was able to fix just by cleaning.
Old 12-31-2016, 12:18 PM

If indeed it is the nss on carparts.com there is one option for $40 it has worked for me so far.( knock on wood) just trying to help someone save some $$