Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Engine Cranks Sounds Like it Has Trouble Starting/Keeping Idle

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2019, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L6
Default Engine Cranks Sounds Like it Has Trouble Starting/Keeping Idle

Hello everyone, new here and to the XJ community. The Jeep I got had some modifications to it before I bought it but I’ve had the Jeep for about a year now, but with my job schedule I unfortunately have little time to take it out.

Anyways, my 1992 XJ has been sitting for quite a few months now and it seems like it doesn’t want to keep idle

I hooked jumper cables to it, tried to start it, and it sounds like it wants to start but sputters out. It will not idle at all.

From what I can tell it looks like all the vacuum hoses are connected and contain no leaks. I replaced the cap and rotor about 2 years ago, but I had gone through some massive puddles since then. Any insight as what it could be?

As far as I know, the Jeep is completely stock besides tires, long arms, and a locked rear diff.

Thank you to everyone who replies!
Old 05-26-2019, 06:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Engine: 4.0

Welcome!

Wow. That's rare! He actually described the problem and told us the year and engine, instead of making us guess! Nice!

Okay, lessee whatcha got here. Sitting is one of the hardest things on machinery. Fuel these days is not what it used to be, and it would not surprise me if it's gunked some things up. Your Idle Air Control (IAC) valve is suspect. Search this forum for how to clean it up and test the electrical side of it. You'll want to do a fuel pressure test. IIRC, you want to see about 39 PSI, but don't quote me on that. Wander over to cruiser54.com and do the tips there. I think you might find the fuel pressure spec on his site.

Here's a quick tip to see if you have a fuel or spark problem - starting fluid, or something like WD-40. Give it a shot and see if the thing runs. If that makes it go roundy roundy for a few seconds, you have a very strong indication that you aren't getting fuel.

You can also get a cheapo spark tester and see what you are getting out of the coil and to each spark plug.
Old 05-27-2019, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by BlueRidgeMark
Welcome!

Wow. That's rare! He actually described the problem and told us the year and engine, instead of making us guess! Nice!

Okay, lessee whatcha got here. Sitting is one of the hardest things on machinery. Fuel these days is not what it used to be, and it would not surprise me if it's gunked some things up. Your Idle Air Control (IAC) valve is suspect. Search this forum for how to clean it up and test the electrical side of it. You'll want to do a fuel pressure test. IIRC, you want to see about 39 PSI, but don't quote me on that. Wander over to cruiser54.com and do the tips there. I think you might find the fuel pressure spec on his site.

Here's a quick tip to see if you have a fuel or spark problem - starting fluid, or something like WD-40. Give it a shot and see if the thing runs. If that makes it go roundy roundy for a few seconds, you have a very strong indication that you aren't getting fuel.

You can also get a cheapo spark tester and see what you are getting out of the coil and to each spark plug.
Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I’ve always read some of the forums on here, and I’ve learned that’s what everyone needs hahaha

update, 60amp fuses are blown for Alt. Power 1 AND 2. What are those for?
Old 05-28-2019, 07:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee

Refresh your ground wires... sounds like that might be all of your issues rolled into one.

Like Mark said, go to Cruiser54s website. See his ground wire refreshing/improvement section. Its free and just takes some time and elbow Grease.
Old 05-28-2019, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by BillyBoy
Refresh your ground wires... sounds like that might be all of your issues rolled into one.

Like Mark said, go to Cruiser54s website. See his ground wire refreshing/improvement section. Its free and just takes some time and elbow Grease.
Sounds good! I’ll give it a try tomorrow. Thanks for your advice👍🏼
Old 05-29-2019, 06:31 PM

Here’s what it’s doing as far as the crank no start
Old 05-29-2019, 08:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999

......and be darn sure that you have a GOOD battery while you are working this. Jump starting a weak battery does not cut it. Get a good battery installed and fully charged before starting again.

Have the battery load tested if there is any doubt. Any parts store will do this for you for free. All engine life starts with electrons.

You do not want to be chasing your tail here.
Old 05-29-2019, 09:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 1998

Is it a closed or open battery?,One that needs water added? Still refresh your grounds tho...
Old 06-01-2019, 07:53 PM

Thanks everyone for the input. I’ll definitely try a new battery and clean my grounds before any next move.