Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Electrical Probelms...Need Help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0L HO
Default Electrical Probelms...Need Help!

So about two weeks ago I went to start my xj and nothing happened...the starter would click but it wouldnt turn over. Took the starter in to AutoZone found out it was bad and so I replaced it. I also replaced the battery with a new battery b/c the old one was fried...I figured the starter probably fried the old battery. Keep in mind for later, that I tested the starter myself before taking it in by running a screwdriver across the solenoid. After I get the new starter in the Jeep starts and so I drive it down the road and about 5 min later I notice that my cd player doesnt work, my inside lights are dimming and my windshield wipers are going really slow and eventually the Jeep just shuts off and everything stops working. So at this point I figure my alternator must be bad and that the Jeep is only running off the battery so I replace the alternator. But after putting a new alternator in I find that my Jeep is doing the same thing. Finally I decide to check my fuses. I find that both my 32V alternator fuses are blown (I figure this mustve happened when I jumped across the solenoid...prolly ran across the wrong 2 points). I thought it bizarre that my starter would go bad and then right after my alternator as well. So I replaced the 2 fuses today and thought I must have finally solved the problem. Nope...I'm wrong. So after a new starter, abttery, alternatotr, and alt. fuses my Jeep still seems to be running off the battery till it dies. Can anyone help me figure out what could be the problem please!! I'm moving to Colorado in 10 days and need this thing running or I've got to leave it behind and buy a plane ticket.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:42 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by cascadeclimbn
So about two weeks ago I went to start my xj and nothing happened...the starter would click but it wouldnt turn over. Took the starter in to AutoZone found out it was bad and so I replaced it. I also replaced the battery with a new battery b/c the old one was fried...I figured the starter probably fried the old battery. Keep in mind for later, that I tested the starter myself before taking it in by running a screwdriver across the solenoid. After I get the new starter in the Jeep starts and so I drive it down the road and about 5 min later I notice that my cd player doesnt work, my inside lights are dimming and my windshield wipers are going really slow and eventually the Jeep just shuts off and everything stops working. So at this point I figure my alternator must be bad and that the Jeep is only running off the battery so I replace the alternator. But after putting a new alternator in I find that my Jeep is doing the same thing. Finally I decide to check my fuses. I find that both my 32V alternator fuses are blown (I figure this mustve happened when I jumped across the solenoid...prolly ran across the wrong 2 points). I thought it bizarre that my starter would go bad and then right after my alternator as well. So I replaced the 2 fuses today and thought I must have finally solved the problem. Nope...I'm wrong. So after a new starter, abttery, alternatotr, and alt. fuses my Jeep still seems to be running off the battery till it dies. Can anyone help me figure out what could be the problem please!! I'm moving to Colorado in 10 days and need this thing running or I've got to leave it behind and buy a plane ticket.
Check and clean all of your electrical connections.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by ezab
Check and clean all of your electrical connections.
Ive already done that.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

check the nut on the back of alternator make sure its tight
Old 12-16-2010, 06:47 PM
Seasoned Member

Did you check the voltage of the battery when its not running and then again when it's running to see if the alternator is working?
Old 12-16-2010, 06:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

there was a post on here about two months ago the guy had his wholxj torn apart checking everything he found the nut that holds the pos post to the alt was just alittle loose
Old 12-16-2010, 06:51 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by freegdr
there was a post on here about two months ago the guy had his wholxj torn apart checking everything he found the nut that holds the pos post to the alt was just alittle loose
That happened to me before.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999

Grounds can be the root cause of many electrical gremlins. Refreshing grounds is NEVER a bad idea!

You can't just check or look at these grounds. You must remove, scrape, clean until shiny the cable/wire ends and whatever they bolt to. The one on the back corner of the head, and where it attaches to the firewall. Scrape the paint from the firewall. Best to replace that woven cable with a #4 or #2 gauge cable. You can attach the one end to the intake manifold if you would like.

Next go over to the engine dipstick tube stud. Remove the nut and clean the wire ends and scrape the block until shiny at the stud. Reattach tightly.

If you are so inclined, add at least a #6 cable from the negative terminal of your battery to one of the bolts on your radiator support. Scrape the paint off first.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:17 PM

So, I discovered that my ground on my alternator was loose I tightened that up and started the vehicle and everything worked fine...although my cd player still wont turn on...maybe I fried that somehow? Anyways, I for sure thought I fixed it this time. Drove around for a while and made sure the alternator was supplying power and it is. But when I got back home and shut the engine off and tried to start it again it wouldnt start, just turned over...so now I'm back to square one and dont know why?
Old 12-16-2010, 11:18 PM

I hate electrical problems!!! I'd rather rebuild the entire motor than troubleshoot this crap!
Old 12-16-2010, 11:51 PM

Anybody have any ideas or suggestions?