Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

electrical issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 02:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Default electrical issue

Originally Posted by fantic238
This thread is for all those who would like to ask something tech related and don't want to start a new thread or hijack someone elses, and for all those tech related questions you happen to ask in the big off topic threads. Me and some of the older members will answer every kind of question as long as it is TECH and polite.
P.S. for the newbs: stupid questions don't exist, there are only stupid answers. Feel free to ask whatever you want. "What is a Jeep?" is a good question....

EDIT: If your question is very common (eg: lift) please DO A RESEARCH FIRST and if you don't find the answer come back here, 75% of the questions can be answered within a 5/10 min browse using the "SEARCH" button on the black banner menu.
For any lift & tire questions go here first: https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/all...go-here-10579/
So, I’m new to this website and trying to figure it out on my phone bare with me. I’m no expert but I know enough about mechanics and automobiles to get me in trouble. This is my first XJ and I’ve loved it every second. I bypassed the heater this summer and have been rolling around with no heat or ac, now that it’s 10 degrees my little defroster wasn’t doing the job keeping me warm, so I fixed my heater and put a new heater control valve in, new problem. My hvac selector switch isn’t working along with my cigarette lighter and my radio. It all turns on (besides the hvac switch) and if I try to use the radio it 12v plug it all shuts down. The rest of the dash lights work and whatnot just those 3 things. I’ve checked all fuses I’m currently in the process of taking the dash apart and checking connections. But I’m lost at the moment. Any help would be majorly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by SimpleQuestionsGuy; 01-16-2018 at 02:51 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-16-2018, 03:58 AM
No, I don't lick fish.

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by SimpleQuestionsGuy
So, I’m new to this website and trying to figure it out on my phone bare with me. I’m no expert but I know enough about mechanics and automobiles to get me in trouble. This is my first XJ and I’ve loved it every second. I bypassed the heater this summer and have been rolling around with no heat or ac, now that it’s 10 degrees my little defroster wasn’t doing the job keeping me warm, so I fixed my heater and put a new heater control valve in, new problem. My hvac selector switch isn’t working along with my cigarette lighter and my radio. It all turns on (besides the hvac switch) and if I try to use the radio it 12v plug it all shuts down. The rest of the dash lights work and whatnot just those 3 things. I’ve checked all fuses I’m currently in the process of taking the dash apart and checking connections. But I’m lost at the moment. Any help would be majorly appreciated. Thanks!
Hey man, welcome to the forums! You didn't mention the year of your Jeep, but since you mentioned the heater control valve, I'm guessing it's a 1996 or older. First piece of advice would be to buy a set of heater hoses for a 1997 and newer XJ and ditch that troublesome heater control valve. Once you get the heater diverter working properly, you don't need the HCV anyway. I myself have done that along with numerous others in the XJ community.

It sounds like you've got yourself quite a wiring conundrum going on there. The 12v cig lighter, dome lights, and radio should all be on the same circuit (if I'm remembering correctly), but your HVAC controls should have their own. Let us know what year you have along with what motor and any other details you can think of and we can probably hook you up with the appropriate wiring diagram.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:15 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

all of those functions are powered by the big brown wire at the ignition switch.
Attached Thumbnails electrical issue-ignition-switch-location.jpg  
Attached Images