Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

99 Grand Cherokee/Electrical or Starter

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 07:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Grand Cherokee/Electrical or Starter

Sorry if a starter issue is also an electrical issue, I don't know but here's the problem. Occassionally, engine won't start. No noise when I turn the key but all the gauges spin, speedometer, rpms, oil, gas, battery etc. They all go all the way up, then down and then there's a series of click click clicks from behind the dash, seems to be drivers side of the dash only. Wait a few minutes and then she starts normally. Any ideas?
Old 01-16-2008, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by benyamin
Sorry if a starter issue is also an electrical issue, I don't know but here's the problem. Occassionally, engine won't start. No noise when I turn the key but all the gauges spin, speedometer, rpms, oil, gas, battery etc. They all go all the way up, then down and then there's a series of click click clicks from behind the dash, seems to be drivers side of the dash only. Wait a few minutes and then she starts normally. Any ideas?

I have a 2001 JGC and I have basically the same problem. I haven't noticed the gauges, but when I sometimes try to start it, nothing happens (almost like a dead battery) but then I get the clicking from in the dash. After a few attempts it will start up just fine. Battery is good, could use some help too, the only suggestion I got was to try changing the ignition.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:24 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Model: Cherokee

are you 100% sure its not the battery? did you get it tested?

-Kyle
Old 01-16-2008, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Kyle Deidrick
are you 100% sure its not the battery? did you get it tested?

-Kyle
Yes, it has been tested and it's less than 6 months old. Also I've been told that if a battery is drained it will not just magically recharge itself within minutes. Thanks!
Old 01-16-2008, 11:38 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by clefrance
Yes, it has been tested and it's less than 6 months old. Also I've been told that if a battery is drained it will not just magically recharge itself within minutes. Thanks!
the reason i ask is my batt is a POS but when its dead it will barely turn the car over but once it does the alt kicks in making the jeep run like usual. so it may seam like its charged but in reality it isnt.

-Kyle
Old 01-16-2008, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Kyle Deidrick
the reason i ask is my batt is a POS but when its dead it will barely turn the car over but once it does the alt kicks in making the jeep run like usual. so it may seam like its charged but in reality it isnt.

-Kyle
It doesn't even make a noise like it's trying to turn over. Nothing happens except the clicks from in the dash. Then all of a sudden when I crank it everything is fine & starts no problem. What's in the dash that would even click?
Old 01-21-2008, 10:34 AM

Default CLicking Sound

I also have no reason to think it's the battery because once it starts the entire sequence is totally normal. Insert key, turn key, car starts, I drive. I think I've found a connection between the issue and the alarm. It seems if I lock the car with the key ring button there is a greater chance the problem occurs. Also, when I come back to the car and unlock it with the key ring button sometimes nothing happens and the car does not unlock. No flashing lights, no nothing. When I see this happen I know there's going to be a starting issue. Any ideas? If this is an alarm problem I am afraid it's going to be a nightmare for someone to track it down through the system.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:25 PM
Seasoned Member

Those gauges acting the way they do... IT IS THE BATTERY!

Old 02-22-2008, 04:43 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 2003
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L, 63mm TB, FIPK, Gibson Exhaust

Originally Posted by UUJ1
Those gauges acting the way they do... IT IS THE BATTERY!

it could also be a ground wire issue to the battery, check all of your wiring carefully.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:10 PM

the gauges make it sound like a wiring issue, you may have a exposed wire somewhere, but the clicking sounds like a silinoid switch, part of your starter asembley. It runs under a 100$ usually and is an easy fix, 30 minuets in a parking lot.

1. get your battery checked
2. get a manual and an electrical tester, look for inconsistent voltage readings.
if you dont find anything, and you probally wont
3. change the starter assmebly
4. if this doesnt fix it say a prayer and keep looking for a bare wire some where and splice it.

I say pray because you can look right at a bare wire and miss it, so be **** and look at the entire thing around.

But get a good trouble shooting manuale like a HAYES just to have, it handy.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:49 PM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

The gauges work because they use less than 3 amps of enegry. Check your main fuse distribution box under the hood. there will be one or sometimes two fuseable link supplies from battery positive (or from the alternator)to the distribution box. See if the connections are corroaded or very dirty( green or battery acid gray) clean these up very well. Take a test light and ground the test light to the engine block and probe the other end on the battery fuse panel leads. Should glow bright. The clicking you heard behind the dash was more than likely relays that could not complete the cycle because or current loss. You can have 12 volts on a wire but it is the amps that gives the go. olhm out the wires from the distribution box to the battery or alternator that they lead to if thay are good you should get a reading close to 000.3K olhms
Old 10-15-2013, 10:10 AM

Year: 99
Thumbs up Thanks... battery

Thanks for the info guys... I had the same problem... gave the battery a full charge overnight, reconnected battery and the car started right up... no clicking or other weird stuff... wow... almost too easy for a jeep...
Old 10-15-2013, 02:47 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I'm getting a little sick of saying this, but CHECK YOUR POSITIVE (+) BATTERY CLAMP. It may be stretched to the point of not making contact but feels tight. Check my previous posts on this subject.