Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Diameter of hard line vacuum hose?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 03:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l- 6
Default Diameter of hard line vacuum hose?

Does any one have the diameter of the hose used in the Chrysler small vac line hoses?

Specifically the hose going from the throttle body to the MAP sensor on a 90 XJ?

It is part number 53004589 that has one in stock in the US.
#6 on this diagram...

I have some generic hard line hose that fits but keeps melting and no one has that small size in stock around here. I have a tin-foil, tape kind of home made shield on here to get it to last about 2 days before melting again. First time I was in the bank teller line and it stalled out after it melted, another at a stop light with a new hose carefully routed to keep it away from the heat shield.

Here you can see that it melted at the same spot near the hot throttle body assembly, even with out it touching any metal around the area.

I also need this size to re-run it on the vac bowl as well. Something that doesn't melt all over at room temp

I need to know what the diameter is so that I can order some.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

local autp parts store .
Old 10-05-2012, 04:10 PM

I know... I have been to the auto parts store here.

PepBoys has the cheep stuff that keeps melting
Autozone had nothing (both locations around here)
Advanced had nothing
Napa had nothing in stock in this size, they may have rubber stuff this size but couldn't find it. I have 1 size larger which doesn't squeeze into the rubber fittings.

I guess I could go ask what size it was, there if they knew.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:29 PM
CF Veteran

might find whole line here dont understand why its melting is your heat sheild still there ?....http://www.xjjeeps.com/
Old 10-05-2012, 04:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Can't you determine the OD of the tube you have by measuring it? Perhaps you could replace the plastic tubing with metal tubing, like brake line tubing, and use vacuum hose or fuel hose as couplings.

Originally Posted by falcon
Does any one have the diameter of the hose used in the Chrysler small vac line hoses?

Specifically the hose going from the throttle body to the MAP sensor on a 90 XJ?

It is part number 53004589 that has one in stock in the US.
#6 on this diagram...

I have some generic hard line hose that fits but keeps melting and no one has that small size in stock around here. I have a tin-foil, tape kind of home made shield on here to get it to last about 2 days before melting again. First time I was in the bank teller line and it stalled out after it melted, another at a stop light with a new hose carefully routed to keep it away from the heat shield.

Here you can see that it melted at the same spot near the hot throttle body assembly, even with out it touching any metal around the area.

I also need this size to re-run it on the vac bowl as well. Something that doesn't melt all over at room temp

I need to know what the diameter is so that I can order some.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:09 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Big truck parts suppliers. Fleet and industrial places. I've got rolls of that stuff from doing plumbing on big rigs.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:13 PM
CF Veteran

aint gonna do any good if its melting it i got regular vacuum line on mine it aint never melted ?
Old 10-05-2012, 05:13 PM

The OE stuff is a really hard line that seems more temperature resistant, but it was cracked and removing it did it all in.

The aftermarket stuff is a very soft plastic.

I have the heat shield installed, the first time I though that it was touching the heat shield, and re-installed it so that it was hung with zip ties onto other lines so that it would not touch the heat shield nor anything hot, but it melted at the same location near the throttle body. This plastic is just not rated for this application.

I have inquired about alternative materials. They have dug around for them but have not found the diameter. At each store. Napa had some rubber and plastic that was harder but it is larger in diameter. Same with the other stores, all had everything larger than this diameter. Its very small.

I measured it to about .33-.35 mm with a caliper (crappy caliper here) but can't seem to find that particular size hose in anything but this soft plastic stuff.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:55 PM
Banned

buy rubber hose.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:08 PM

Well its officially a .38 - .39mm hose size.

I bought more of the cheep stuff that is melting until I can find some that fit.

That stuff that is melting is the only small hose size that fits. The rubber tube that was the smallest tube I could find was way to thick to stuff in there.

Can't find anything that is small enough to fit.... Seriously, its all to wide. Just hit up 3 stores again.

Id pay $40 for some hose that fit at this point, already paid that in gas driving around asking parts stores for hose that fit around here.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:58 PM

I got it. LOL Driving home and it stalled and you could not push the gas with out it dying. Of course its snowing tonight here so this is happening on the coldest day of the year so far. I went digging for something to shield the hose that keeps melting in the back where my box o spare parts are from my recent head gasket encounter. Ah what is this? A box of old vacuum hoses from the spaghetti monster vacuum connector that I replaced... hehehehe. Found the diameter of the old hose stuff that fit on the connector and didn't have a melting problem. but when I went to hook it to the map sensor it was too short. Another cable had a 90 degree vacuum connector. I cut that off and made it a straight through connector. Connected the cooler sensor end to the cheaper hose and had enough to route it up above the fuel rails and out of the way. Now its connected up and has a more robust hose near the throttle body where it won't melt is on the other end with a connection fitting in the middle. Got to the store and drove it home with no melted hose. Few what a PITA. Next time they should just connect the sensor to the throttle body directly. Of course its snowing and I want my Jeep, so I had like zero patients today for this shenanigans. I was cold, tired and It was going to work.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I-6

I have a '91 and had this problem on my '92 as well. I went to AZ and bought a 12-inch piece of steel brakeline. Measured the piece of plastic garbage and cut the metal line to fit. Sanded the cut ends real good and cleaned it up good with carb cleaner (don't want any metal shavings in the intake). Works great and hasn't melted once in almost rwo years.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by scottmphoto
I have a '91 and had this problem on my '92 as well. I went to AZ and bought a 12-inch piece of steel brakeline. Measured the piece of plastic garbage and cut the metal line to fit. Sanded the cut ends real good and cleaned it up good with carb cleaner (don't want any metal shavings in the intake). Works great and hasn't melted once in almost rwo years.
See, I told ya.