Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

death wobble returns

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default death wobble returns

i have a 99 cherokee classic. I bought that car from my parents with death wobble happening. I then replace the front ball joints, track bar, steering stablizer, and put new tires on it. that was 8 months ago. the car drove great after all that daily driver and long road trips no problems. recently i can feel the shaking in the wheel starting. i have only had it DW on me once when i test drove it before i bought. i remember the wheel starting to wiggle back and forth before the whole car went crazy. i now feel that wobble agian but havent had it go full DW just that same movement in the wheel arount 65mph before 65 and after is smooth.

I want to know what to replace next. any info would be appreciated. thanks
also new the the site wasnt sure the specific place to ask this question.
Old 06-14-2016, 11:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by butterlbeans
i have a 99 cherokee classic. I bought that car from my parents with death wobble happening. I then replace the front ball joints, track bar, steering stablizer, and put new tires on it. that was 8 months ago. the car drove great after all that daily driver and long road trips no problems. recently i can feel the shaking in the wheel starting. i have only had it DW on me once when i test drove it before i bought. i remember the wheel starting to wiggle back and forth before the whole car went crazy. i now feel that wobble agian but havent had it go full DW just that same movement in the wheel arount 65mph before 65 and after is smooth. I want to know what to replace next. any info would be appreciated. thanks also new the the site wasnt sure the specific place to ask this question.
mine is doing the same thing, I replaced basically the entire steering system and now to returning. Lol. Your best bet is to get under the jeep and check for worn out steering components such as tie rod ends, track bar & its mounting holes, steering box, etc.

Last edited by 93XJeeper; 06-18-2016 at 11:30 AM.
Old 06-14-2016, 11:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: I6 4.0L

Before throwing more parts at it, I would suggest getting your tires balanced and rotated. Check your tires for foreign objects. I killed myself trying to solve what I would call "death wiggle" - a persistent vibration between 55mph and 60mph. Turns out it was a HUGE nail in the tire.

Also, get an alignment.
Old 06-18-2016, 10:37 AM

im going to get alignment first and get tires checked. i had read that bad ujoints on drive shaft can cause shaking and mine do have play in them. i plan on relplacing them and tie rod ends soon. hopefully when alls done ill be shake free
Old 06-18-2016, 11:11 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

When you replace the TRE's use some from a mid 90's V-8 Grand Cherokee a direct bolt-in and many times stronger than stock, larger ends and all solid steel not the rolled tube like the stock ones. they are about $100 at AutoZone for the 3 pcs. lifetime warranty, would be a good idea to replace them before you do an alignment.
Old 06-18-2016, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
When you replace the TRE's use some from a mid 90's V-8 Grand Cherokee a direct bolt-in and many times stronger than stock, larger ends and all solid steel not the rolled tube like the stock ones. they are about $100 at AutoZone for the 3 pcs. lifetime warranty, would be a good idea to replace them before you do an alignment.
thanks I'll do that before alignment.
Old 06-18-2016, 11:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Check the control arm bushings, too. Anything concerning the suspension. Wheel bearing/hubs, even.
Old 06-18-2016, 12:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Simple stuff first. Check your tire pressures. Check out all your front end components (even the ones you've already replaced). Definitely check all your u-joints. Get your tires balanced again. Get an alignment.