Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Crusie control not workng. Already done ressearch, still no luck.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 12:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

So, first off a little history, when I bought the jeep about 2-3 years ago, I removed the cruise control servo and threw it out, I didn't think I needed it. At the time, I had never tested it out so I didn't even know if it worked or not. Now, a few years later, I think cruise control would be nice to have. So, my last visit to the JY, I picked up a servo and put it in my jeep, go for a test drive, and it doesn't work, so far, I've checked the fuse, Ive triple checked the vacuum connection to servo (even tried running a new line straight to the servo), I've tested for 12v gong in and out of the cruise control lever on steering column (on/off switch works too), after all these things check ok, I'm left to believe that it is the servo that's causing the problem, I've check and it's not seized up or anything. One thing I do know is that I've seen two types of servos, pics below, I've seen both of these on pre97 XJs. Is there any difference between the two. The one in my hand is what i have now, the one on the diamond plate is the other style servo. If I remember correctly, I think the one that used to be on my jeep was the kind that is on the diamond plate. What's the difference between these two? Could this be why my CC doesn't work? Also, if there is any other troubleshooting info I missed, let me know. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Crusie control not workng. Already done ressearch, still no luck.-image-3263344352.jpg  
Attached Images  

Last edited by 93XJeeper; 06-12-2016 at 12:55 PM.
Old 06-12-2016, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000

What year? Sounds like a connection issue or possibly vacuum, even though you said you've tried both.
Old 06-12-2016, 08:02 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by mwxj
What year? Sounds like a connection issue or possibly vacuum, even though you said you've tried both.
it a 1993, I also tried buying a new cruise control lever and installed it but still no luck
Old 06-12-2016, 09:25 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 I6

Maybe the weird vacuum globe thing in the bumper has a crack or something in it?
Old 06-12-2016, 09:33 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by DeltaOP4
Maybe the weird vacuum globe thing in the bumper has a crack or something in it?
I don't think it needs that in order to work does it? I relocated it up in the engine bay.
Old 06-12-2016, 10:55 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by 93XJeeper
I don't think it needs that in order to work does it? I relocated it up in the engine bay.
Not entirely sure. Watched a bleeping Jeep video about swapping a front bumper and he said it's for your heat controls, and cruise control since that stuff work via HVAC. Worth checking out at least. What I do know though is that the vacuum line that is connected to it likes to crack where the battery tray sits for whatever reason. Does your heat revert to defrost instead of vents when driving?
Old 06-12-2016, 11:39 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by DeltaOP4
Not entirely sure. Watched a bleeping Jeep video about swapping a front bumper and he said it's for your heat controls, and cruise control since that stuff work via HVAC. Worth checking out at least. What I do know though is that the vacuum line that is connected to it likes to crack where the battery tray sits for whatever reason. Does your heat revert to defrost instead of vents when driving?
yea, but now that you mention it, my AC never blows very hard out of the vents. Maybe it's not getting a strong vacuum for some reason which doesn't allow the blend doors to open fully. Since I have the vacuum ball relocated, the vacuum line goes to the vacuum ball first, then continues to the cruise control. Does the order of these two of which comes first matter?
Old 06-13-2016, 07:52 AM
Seasoned Member

yea, but now that you mention it, my AC never blows very hard out of the vents. Maybe it's not getting a strong vacuum for some reason which doesn't allow the blend doors to open fully. Since I have the vacuum ball relocated, the vacuum line goes to the vacuum ball first, then continues to the cruise control. Does the order of these two of which comes first matter?
Yeah, if it doesn't blow hard out of the vents and goes through the defrost instead it's probably a vacuum leak. As far as the order of the two I can't help you there. Neither of my XJs have cruise.
Old 06-13-2016, 07:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

it does need it, it's the vacuum canister. your cruise control works on vacuum, so if there's the slighest leak, it will simply not work properly or at all.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:10 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Cane
it does need it, it's the vacuum canister. your cruise control works on vacuum, so if there's the slighest leak, it will simply not work properly or at all.
ok, also, does the order of the two matter?
Old 06-13-2016, 03:58 PM
CF Veteran

Ok, so I pulled the vacuum line out and inspected and tested it for cracks or leaks and found none. Vaccum ball and cruise the joked up correctly and it still doesn't work. Any ideas?
Old 06-13-2016, 07:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

well you said it yourself, maybe try to find the servo from the right year? maybe the obdI to obdII transition changed some stuff, or it might not matter at all, I don't really know. if you're positive there's not vaccum leak, then your problem lie between the switch and the cable. physically i'm guessing the cable is connected to the throttle body? then you have the servo, wiring and the switch in the steering wheel.

Last edited by Cane; 06-13-2016 at 07:11 PM.
Old 06-13-2016, 07:21 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Cane
well you said it yourself, maybe try to find the servo from the right year? maybe the obdI to obdII transition changed some stuff, or it might not matter at all, I don't really know. if you're positive there's not vaccum leak, then your problem lie between the switch and the cable. physically i'm guessing the cable is connected to the throttle body? then you have the servo, wiring and the switch in the steering wheel.
yea, I did find a vaccum leak at the elbow for the fuel regulator and patched that as well as a leak by the little hose that goes to the back of the valve cover. If, once those patched, don't fix the problem, then I'm gonna try another servo of the different style.