Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Trans issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 06:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Trans issue

1996 Cherokee, 4.0, 4x4, automatic, 165,000 miles. Completely stock.

Have been going the rounds with my transmission, very intermittent symptoms.

1.) OD disengages for no apparent reason at highway speeds, does not re-engage. Most common issue, couple times in a 150+ mile week.
2.) Goes into limp mode. Less common, but happens here and there.

I never get the check engine light and trans returns to normal after ignition cycle.

Last summer I replaced all the solenoids, fluid, filter and checked/cleaned all the trans wire connectors. Seemed to be fine for awhile and then the same symptoms returned few weeks later.

4.) Now I have a new symptom, appears to go into Neutral, pulled over and shifted into 1-2 and Reverse with no trans response. Cycled the ignition and was back to normal again......

Took to trans shop and they hooked up their diag tool, did not see any codes. Took for a test drive....no issues.

Any ideas, suggestions?

I love my Jeep, looks great, runs great, goes anywhere, most people can't believe it's a '96, but damn this trans issue is a bummer....

Last edited by 656Jeep; 06-12-2016 at 06:21 AM.
Old 06-13-2016, 03:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 656Jeep
1.) OD disengages for no apparent reason at highway speeds, does not re-engage. Most common issue, couple times in a 150+ mile week.
Check the brake pedal switch.

2.) Goes into limp mode. Less common, but happens here and there.
The AW4 doesn't have a "limp" mode. What exactly is happening?

4.) Now I have a new symptom, appears to go into Neutral, pulled over and shifted into 1-2 and Reverse with no trans response. Cycled the ignition and was back to normal again......
Engine revved as though you were in Neutral? Fluid level and quality good?
Old 06-13-2016, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the response.

Check the brake pedal switch.
Ok, I'll do that.

The AW4 doesn't have a "limp" mode. What exactly is happening?
When I come to a stop it does not down shift to 1st, feels like it's in 2nd, moves real slow from a stop. Trans will not shift automatically, I can manually put it in 1-2 and from a stop it feels normal but have to manually shift up. If I cycle the ignition it returns to normal operation.

Engine revved as though you were in Neutral? Fluid level and quality good?
Yes, engine will rev freely as if in neutral. Fluid level is good when warm, vehicle always warm when this happens. Fluid changed when solenoids were changed, last August. I pulled over and attempted manually shifting, no response in R, D, or 1-2. Returned to normal operation after ignition cycle.

Curious why there would be no codes when the shop checked with diagnostic tool. I'd think the TCM would store previous codes.
Old 06-13-2016, 08:11 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

My 96 did this a while back. I found the problem to be with the ignition switch, there is a black 6 or 7 pin connector that goes into the back of the switch up behind the key cylinder. The connector seems have some high current draw issues, mine melted the switch it self causing it to short out and do what you are describing......cycle the key and it returns back to normal operation. I cleaned the pins in the connector really good and replaced the switch and it has been fine sense.

May be a god place to start inspecting.....Good luck!