Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Compressor and electric fan

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Compressor and electric fan

I have a 2001 Cherokee Sport 4.0, my question is now when I turn on the A/C, the electric fans come on and the motor is cold, and when the A/C compressor kicks off it shuts off and so on, a few days ago I heard a noise under the hood like a A/C hose busted and it got warmer, when I slowed down I heard the compressor making a rumbling sound so I shut it off, when I got to the house I popped the hood and noticed that the leak came from the high pressure line out of the compressor, when I went to turn it back on, the A/C got cold again, but you can hear the rumble from the compressor, am I looking at a possible compressor failure? and as for the electric fan, something is not right with this picture, any feed back would help.
Old 07-11-2009, 06:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Originally Posted by warren3537
I have a 2001 Cherokee Sport 4.0, my question is now when I turn on the A/C, the electric fans come on and the motor is cold, and when the A/C compressor kicks off it shuts off and so on, a few days ago I heard a noise under the hood like a A/C hose busted and it got warmer, when I slowed down I heard the compressor making a rumbling sound so I shut it off, when I got to the house I popped the hood and noticed that the leak came from the high pressure line out of the compressor, when I went to turn it back on, the A/C got cold again, but you can hear the rumble from the compressor, am I looking at a possible compressor failure? and as for the electric fan, something is not right with this picture, any feed back would help.
The aux. cooling fan is supposed to come on when the AC is on.
Old 07-11-2009, 07:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 89
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Without hearing the comp it is hard to tell what is going on,it is possible it is going out or the freon is returning to the comp as a liquid not a vapor,called flooding back. which can be caused by several things. I am not sure how much you know about a/c units but you can find info on the internet. As far as the fan goes it comes on when you turn th a/c on,this is to provide more cooling because the a/c condenser is located in front of your radiator and causes warmer temps from the freon condensing. But if your a/c is low on pressure the fan nor the comp will come on due to the low pressure cutout on the a/c is not satisfied.