Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Cherokee OVERHEATING!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L HO "Straight Six"
Angry Cherokee OVERHEATING!!

okay, i was drivin my 89 cherokee, i recently had a new coolant overflow bottle put on and new antifreeze put throughout the system, UNTIL, i had a problem first my vehicle cut off on me while i was driving, then I got to a Parking space and ...

HEARD THE WORST THING EVERRRR !!!!!

I LOOKED ON THE GROUND AND SURE ENOUGH my antifreeze was pouring and spilling all over the ground.....

I knew exactly that the vehicle probably got too hot and the antifreeze bottle couldnt take the heat and soo it started pouring all over the ground...

I raised the hood, as hott and steamy the underneath was I saw the the bottle was sure enought empty and was bubbling and sizzling all over my engine compartment.

NOWW WHAT THE HELL DO I DO??? THIS IS SOOO STRESSFUL AND PISSSES ME OFFF !!!

any ideas please message back, or email me at Bzinkham@hotmail.com

I NEED YOUR HELP AND ADVICE !!!
Old 05-09-2009, 03:48 PM
Seasoned Member

you should convert your cooling system. I cant realy explain it very good, some one else should be able to but my system has no overfloe tank just a normal radiator cap on one of the lines. Sorry i cant explain it but someone will step in and explain. Good luck
Old 05-09-2009, 07:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 88
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by xjchris
you should convert your cooling system. I cant realy explain it very good, some one else should be able to but my system has no overfloe tank just a normal radiator cap on one of the lines. Sorry i cant explain it but someone will step in and explain. Good luck
Get a radiator from a '94' Cherokee and get rid of that bucket set up. How long ago did it get changed before it over heated? Sure it didn't have air in the system? I found the best way to fill the engine after it's been drained of coolant on a '89' is to remove the heater hose going into the thermostat housing and fill it there and you won't have as many air pockets
Attached Images  
Old 05-09-2009, 10:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

make sure you still have a frost plug. i overheated the crap out of my '89 cherokee and it blew the frost plug out.
Old 05-10-2009, 04:50 AM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.SLOW

Do what I am doing,...

Convert your system from a closed system (with the cap on the overflow) to an open, traditional system)

You'll need a heater valve from a 91 XJ, as well as a radiator, various lengths of hoses, and get on it....

Now if I could just find the time and motivation to finish mine!!!
Old 07-15-2009, 05:31 PM

I have a 90 cherokee and it started overheating. I changed the waterpump, Thermo, Flushed it, changed hoses and water bottle. It still overheats. Any help out there. if so e-mail at chico983@comcast.net thanks

Last edited by ctorr; 07-15-2009 at 05:48 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 89

I converted mine not long ago for about $40,i removed a radiator from a 91 same deminisions as 89 just has a radiator cap,i removed my old plastic bottle and the holder it seats on,then I just measured the area where the old bottle set and went to the junk yard and found one that would fit in that area and provide and work,then bought enough hose to reach the overflow bottle,I have not had any problems with the system,I use to carry 2 extra bottles with me with my old system.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 89

Originally Posted by ctorr
I have a 90 cherokee and it started overheating. I changed the waterpump, Thermo, Flushed it, changed hoses and water bottle. It still overheats. Any help out there. if so e-mail at chico983@comcast.net thanks
I assume you live here in chico from your email address,did you check your electric fan to insure it was coming on, have you checked for a head gasket problem? I updated mine with a radiator from a 91,no more plastic bottle to blowup.