Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

A/C blower problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 03:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default A/C blower problem

The blower motor quit working in my 99, and before I spent 100 bucks I checked to see if I had power at the plug---nothing---then I jumped it directly to the battery, and it worked fine! My question is how do I get to the resistor---do I have to take the dash apart?
Old 06-11-2014, 04:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0L

No.

I think the '99 is different than my '93, perhaps behind the glove box. I just got on to tell you not to start ripping the dash out till someone who knows gets on.

Does the blower work at any speed setting? Normally will work on high if it is the resistor.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:13 PM

nothing on any speed---and I don't plan on taking anything apart until I get some more info---this is my first jeep, so I joined this forum in hopes of learning a few trick (mostly a chevy guy)
Old 06-21-2014, 06:48 AM

Year: 1999

Its Saturday morning and I'm getting ready to pull the fan motor on my 1999 Jeep Cherokee. The fan stopped working and when I pulled the power plug from the blower I found one of the prongs appears to have broken off. Had to wiggle this plug for the past year to make the blower work (stayed that way for months). I guess since the "wiggling" always worked for the 10 second repair, I wasn't motivated enough to replace the blower. Tools are coming out as its expected to be 90 degrees today in South Florida.
Old 06-21-2014, 07:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the fan relay behind the glove box. I had the same problem recently and I replaced the relay and all is well now. It's only $10 at any parts store.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998

Before pulling anything apart, if you do not have power to the plug (when the fan is set to any speed AND HVAC selector switch is set where the fan should be on, everything except off) using your multimeter start crossing off possible causes. I would start with the switch itself (the one for a/c, where the fan blows, defrost, etc.) first. Then l would move on to the relay, and finally the resistor. I am away from my FSM, but someone should be able to post where there should be continuity with each setting of the switch. Without receiving any power to the plug, my bet is on the switch or the relay and not the motor. Hope this helps.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

Originally Posted by LWechterPA
Its Saturday morning and I'm getting ready to pull the fan motor on my 1999 Jeep Cherokee. The fan stopped working and when I pulled the power plug from the blower I found one of the prongs appears to have broken off. Had to wiggle this plug for the past year to make the blower work (stayed that way for months). I guess since the "wiggling" always worked for the 10 second repair, I wasn't motivated enough to replace the blower. Tools are coming out as its expected to be 90 degrees today in South Florida.
Which side did the prong break off on, The blower motor or the the plug end? If it is the motor side then yes you will have to pull it to replace or try to repair it. You don't need to start pulling any of the other thing that the others have mentioned if the problem is the broken prong like you said.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:17 AM

I pulled the fan motor out before purchasing the new one. The prong was pulled out and not repairable. I installed the new motor from Advanced Auto (had a 15% online coupon-cost $81). After the installation I noticed the air is now diverted to the defroster vents in the dash board. I always had all 4 fan speeds and last week I found a break in a vacuum line which I repaired so the A/C air would come out of the vents as it should. I know if there is vacuum leak the air is defaulted to the defroster vents. UGGGHHH so annoying! OK, I'm open for suggestions of what I might have done. Thanks in advance!
Old 06-22-2014, 08:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

I pulled the fan motor out before purchasing the new one. The prong was pulled out and not repairable. I installed the new motor from Advanced Auto (had a 15% online coupon-cost $81). After the installation I noticed the air is now diverted to the defroster vents in the dash board. I always had all 4 fan speeds and last week I found a break in a vacuum line which I repaired so the A/C air would come out of the vents as it should. I know if there is vacuum leak the air is defaulted to the defroster vents. UGGGHHH so annoying! OK, I'm open for suggestions of what I might have done. Thanks in advance!
You are correct. You will have to hunt down you new vac leak
Old 06-22-2014, 08:53 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts

Go here and review post #51. Look over all the vacuum lines, especially the small tube going to the HVAC check valve.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/gre...e-6558/index4/