Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Brush Guard ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 08:26 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Default Brush Guard ??

I'm considering buying a used brush guard (possibly OEM) just to get some protection up front. I'm primarily concerned about deer encounters. I realize there are much better options but the budget doesn't allow for that now. In the mean time, they're asking $75 for this unit. Is it fairly stout or is it just eye candy?
Attached Images  
Old 08-22-2013, 09:19 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Looks okay in and of itself. The problem with brush guards is the mounting. Lots of these ****heads running around in Dodge Rams have these massive chrome "push bars" with lights they'll never use that are actually held on with a couple of screws. Hit something and your "protection" is no more than extra weight.

If that ties properly into the bumper mount brackets underneath and the steel is solid I'd say go for it.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:41 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996

What kind of 'protection' are you expecting to get out of it? In WY, we hit montster deer if lucky and 6x6 bull elk or moose on a bad day. If you're hitting even a 150 lb deer at speed, expect damage. Assuming that it is tied into your frame correctly, you still want a deer strainer that will give. You're goal is to thrash your bumper but keep your frame intact. Hopefully you can drive away but you may lose a light or crumple a bit of paint. I was foolish and built such an oversized monstrosity that it is more stout than my frame. Guess what will happen when I hit my first bull? Yep. You guessed it, I'll tweak my frame. All this to say, if you expect NY deer to bounce off your new bumper, you're being unrealistic, but if your goal is to be able to drive away, you may be in the ball park. Look closely at how it is mounted. Sorry, I have no direct experience with this bumper.

s
Old 08-23-2013, 12:26 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: I6

Originally Posted by smtippin
What kind of 'protection' are you expecting to get out of it? In WY, we hit montster deer if lucky and 6x6 bull elk or moose on a bad day. If you're hitting even a 150 lb deer at speed, expect damage. Assuming that it is tied into your frame correctly, you still want a deer strainer that will give. You're goal is to thrash your bumper but keep your frame intact. Hopefully you can drive away but you may lose a light or crumple a bit of paint. I was foolish and built such an oversized monstrosity that it is more stout than my frame. Guess what will happen when I hit my first bull? Yep. You guessed it, I'll tweak my frame. All this to say, if you expect NY deer to bounce off your new bumper, you're being unrealistic, but if your goal is to be able to drive away, you may be in the ball park. Look closely at how it is mounted. Sorry, I have no direct experience with this bumper.

s
Where in WY are you?
Old 08-23-2013, 12:54 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996

Originally Posted by DenaliRanger1
Where in WY are you?
Sadly, the other end...Sheridan.
Old 08-23-2013, 02:52 PM

Engine: 4.0

Looks a lot better than the homebrew rig that was on mine when I bought it.
Attached Thumbnails Brush Guard  ??-image-1641504280.jpg  
Old 08-23-2013, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by ckcstewart
Looks a lot better than the homebrew rig that was on mine when I bought it.
Holy crap! What is that ??!! I would bet there is a section of guardrail missing along some highway that looks identical to that....uh..... Brush guard???
Old 08-23-2013, 04:42 PM

Yea, it was pretty hideous. Took it off the first day. This was just one of many headscratchers on this one. Said he built it because he and his wife both hit deer on the 4 mile long dirt road they lived on. Welded it up to the stock brackets and bolted it on. Absolutely the nastiest/dirtiest vehicle I have ever bought.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:49 PM

Year: 1994

CKC, what did you replace the pan rack with?
Old 08-23-2013, 04:51 PM

Year: 2000

The factory bar will mount to tow hook brackets on the bumper mounts. If you do not have tow hooks or the mount then you need them to mount that.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:13 PM

I just put a stock bumper, brackets and towhooks on it. Gave the cowcatcher/deercatcher to the guy I got those from.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Crow Horse
I'm considering buying a used brush guard (possibly OEM) just to get some protection up front. I'm primarily concerned about deer encounters. I realize there are much better options but the budget doesn't allow for that now. In the mean time, they're asking $75 for this unit. Is it fairly stout or is it just eye candy?
Take a look at it and if it seems solid I'd get it.
Old 08-24-2013, 02:22 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by DenaliRanger1
Where in WY are you?
Ideally, I'd like to be able to drive away without any wrinkled sheet metal but I know that is being unrealistic. If I can drive away without having the XJ totaled would be the lowest I'd set the bar. Until I can fab or buy a solid bumper with a grill guard, this might be better than just the stock bumper. (I hope).

Taking a deer encounter back a step, avoidance is preferred. My "radar" is always sweeping during my commute and it has helped avoid a messy situation on a number of occasions....

I'll have to look into tow hook mounts. Will aftermarket work with this or am I stuck going back to the dealer (or pick-n-pull)?