Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

On board air compressor?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 12:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 93
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default On board air compressor?

My jeep came to me with the ac not working and that doesn't really bother me because that's what windows are for. But I was wondering about converting it into a air compressor but I don't know how. What would I need to do and what other things will I need to complete it? I know I'll need a storage tank and a regulator but that's as far as I know. Any help would be appreciated because I'm looking for my weekend project haha
Old 09-14-2010, 01:48 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.slow

google ac compressor converted to air compressor and see what comes up. without even doing so i can imagine a bunch of do it yourself guides, kits, and homebrew style pages youll find.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:28 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 IL6

Test your compressor first to make sure it still works (just disconnect the wire from it and touch it to the pos battery terminal). On the input to the compressor you will need an air filter and tool oiler. On the output you will need a filter to get the oil out of the air and then you will need a manifold to connect a pressure switch, safety vavle, and line to your air tank. From the air tank you can connect a hose and any attachments you want to run. You can get everything at a hardware store (I went to Home Depot) except for the pressure switch. I just got done doing this to my Jeep. If you have any questions PM me.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

There is an actual write-up somewhere on Wranglerforum.com, I'll see if I can find it. Got pics, list of supplies and tools, etc.

Here: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f8/cove...sor-58332.html

and for those who don't wanna go to the link, the guy's screen name is iix23, here is what he wrote:

1-Empty the gas that you have in the air cond unit.
2-Disconnect the air line that goes to the cooling unit.
3-Connect it to a pressure regulator (the blue thing that you see on the picture).
4-Connect a new air line from the regulator to an air tank ( I put mine outside the frame under the passenger side).
5-Connect an other air line from the air tank to where ever you want to have your air output ( I put mine on the passenger side and I hide it under the carpet).
6-Disconnect the compressor/aircond switch ( electric ) and hook the power to an other switch on the dashboard ( I hooked mine on the rear defrost ).
7-Connect that line (power) to the regulator.
8-Connect the regulator (power) to the compressor.

Important note:
1-Most air tank don't have a gage that show the pressure. It would be wise to have a gage at the output to control and adjust your pressure in the tank from the regulator. Once that is adjusted you can take off the gage.
2-Remember that most air tank don't have a blowup valve. So step 1 is not to be taken lightly.

3-The on/off switch is very important because even though the compressor will stop by itself the the pressure has been reached, I would not recommend driving off-road with an air tank under pressure.

If I missed something let me know because it is getting late here in Taiwan 1:30 am

Last edited by Gee oh Dee; 09-14-2010 at 01:21 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 481 Likes on 413 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

It is doable, I have one on my XJ that with a high rev device I installed will pump four tires up from flat to 35 psi in 3.5 minutes. They work well.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:57 PM

Gee oh Dee missed a few things. You need to run an oiler before your compressor or it will eventually burn out and die. Ask me how I know. You will then want to run a filter after the compressor to get that oil out of your air. Here is a link to a good thread on here about converting your AC to on board air. It has a great diagram that shows all the components and how they connect.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/c-o...pressor-21871/
Old 09-15-2010, 01:38 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by billulsund
Gee oh Dee missed a few things. You need to run an oiler before your compressor or it will eventually burn out and die. Ask me how I know. You will then want to run a filter after the compressor to get that oil out of your air. Here is a link to a good thread on here about converting your AC to on board air. It has a great diagram that shows all the components and how they connect.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/c-o...pressor-21871/
I didn't miss a damn thing, bro, it wasn't my write-up. I said it was done by someone else on a different forum alltogether. He's the one who gets the credit. And give the guy a break. He did that around 1:30 am in Tiawan. Also, he posted a few things you did not. So I guess both write-ups had missing pieces.

I posted this link because it had pics and actual outlined instructions put into steps.

Last edited by Gee oh Dee; 09-15-2010 at 01:41 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:09 PM
Registered Users

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 2000 @ 1994 givin away
Engine: 4.0

Hmmm grumpy old men ?lol
Old 09-15-2010, 06:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 481 Likes on 413 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

Well, if we are goin to pic nits, the blue thingy is not a regulator, it is a manifold. And there are a few things you should have for safety sake. For instance a pop off valve. These compressor can pump 400 psi and not slip a belt. The on off switch should also be a pressure switch. You should not just turn on one of these compressors without one. Now someone will say they do, but that doesn't mean it should be done or that it is safe to do so. 400 psi is much more than many components like hoses are rated for. Here is a pic of stuff you can get for this set up. Granted it all costs more than a buck ninety eight, but if you want a good save system, the minimum components are:

1. Oiler system in the intake or crankcase in the compressor. Mine is in the crank case.

2. Pressure switch to turn it on and off, which can be further controlled by a dash switch.

3. Pop off valve in case the pressure switch malfunctions. Mine sure came in handy one day.

4. Very handy, but not a safety item is an oil filter and a return to the crankcase if you are using oil in it.

5. Very nice , but not necessary is a check valve to keep the pressure off the compressor at start up.

6. You only need a regulator if you are running ARBs or some other device that needs a specific pressure.

In this pic, right behind the first quick disconnect is the check valve, it looks like a brass fitting followed by the oil filter followed by the manifold with the pop off valve, plug, quick disconnect air line to front and tank, followed by the pressure switch followed by a regulator and two ARB air valves.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Gee oh Dee

If I missed something let me know because it is getting late here in Taiwan 1:30 am
Dam Gee don't get your panties in a bunch, I meant no offense. You said to let you know if you missed something and I thought a few things were missed so I chimed in. Each system is different and there are several ways to set up on board air. The air setup in my Jeep is different from the writeup I linked to. I mainly wanted to make sure that the OP knew that if he did not run an oiler for his AC it would eventually die on him. Don't freak out man, I was just trying to help.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:58 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by billulsund
Dam Gee don't get your panties in a bunch, I meant no offense. You said to let you know if you missed something and I thought a few things were missed so I chimed in. Each system is different and there are several ways to set up on board air. The air setup in my Jeep is different from the writeup I linked to. I mainly wanted to make sure that the OP knew that if he did not run an oiler for his AC it would eventually die on him. Don't freak out man, I was just trying to help.
Bro, the only reason I freaked is because its not my writeup. I really just don't wanna give the impression I'm trying to take credit for someone else's work, thats all!

And its not panties today. Laundry day. Its a bananna hammoc today.