Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Blower motor questions, yet again for some...

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Blower motor questions, yet again for some...

Ok I have read several threads on this before, most recently one started by jpz. I found a good deal on a blower motor from Advanced Auto parts which I could get a "brand new" 100% compatible blower motor for around $60 with a discount. I decide to go with a new motor because I managed to pull the motor connector off the original equipment one (18 years old with 200K miles on it).

Now to be clear, I have previously replaced the switches which went out a couple years ago, I also changed the resistor pack thinking that was the source of my full power blower issue back in the day, it turned out that the problem was actually the switch since replacing the resistor pack had no impact at all. So at this point the only part that is original is the blower motor. Now, the problem is that the blower will work for weeks at a time, then for no reason, no longer work. It does not fail while driving, but usually it will fail after running for several minutes then I will stop somewhere and have come back and it will not turn on. I had to replace the alternator recently and though "ah it must not have been getting good current previously" because the blower suddenly started working again once the new alternator was installed, well a couple days later it stopped working (outside temp at the time was 97 with 80% humidity, I could have used the AC).

When I pulled the plug from the old blower, it was running 12 volts. I thought the blower had had it so I purchased the new one, pulled the old one and installed the new one with no joy, now the readings are 2-5 volts and all over the place.

At this point, it is undrivable since our temps are near 100 with 80+ humidity. THat turns my Jeep into a VERY heavy paper weight. I checked all the fuses, all are fine. I will say that the connector is different for the new motor than the original, but the power to the connector is what bothers me. A steady 12 volts is fine, 2 to 5 volts is fun but not useful.

I need some suggestions! I have absolutely no idea what to do or try next. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Me.
Old 08-04-2018, 10:20 PM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

The blower circuit is compromised somewhere. If you have an electrical diagram, follow it to all of the connections in the circuit. It's possible you may just have a wire that is only holding on by a single strand.

FWIW, I got a new blower from NAPA for $27.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:11 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990

Originally Posted by OldSaabaruGuy
Ok I have read several threads on this before, most recently one started by jpz. I found a good deal on a blower motor from Advanced Auto parts which I could get a "brand new" 100% compatible blower motor for around $60 with a discount. I decide to go with a new motor because I managed to pull the motor connector off the original equipment one (18 years old with 200K miles on it).

Now to be clear, I have previously replaced the switches which went out a couple years ago, I also changed the resistor pack thinking that was the source of my full power blower issue back in the day, it turned out that the problem was actually the switch since replacing the resistor pack had no impact at all. So at this point the only part that is original is the blower motor. Now, the problem is that the blower will work for weeks at a time, then for no reason, no longer work. It does not fail while driving, but usually it will fail after running for several minutes then I will stop somewhere and have come back and it will not turn on. I had to replace the alternator recently and though "ah it must not have been getting good current previously" because the blower suddenly started working again once the new alternator was installed, well a couple days later it stopped working (outside temp at the time was 97 with 80% humidity, I could have used the AC).

When I pulled the plug from the old blower, it was running 12 volts. I thought the blower had had it so I purchased the new one, pulled the old one and installed the new one with no joy, now the readings are 2-5 volts and all over the place.

At this point, it is undrivable since our temps are near 100 with 80+ humidity. THat turns my Jeep into a VERY heavy paper weight. I checked all the fuses, all are fine. I will say that the connector is different for the new motor than the original, but the power to the connector is what bothers me. A steady 12 volts is fine, 2 to 5 volts is fun but not useful.

I need some suggestions! I have absolutely no idea what to do or try next. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Me.

what year is it?
Old 08-05-2018, 12:18 PM
jpz
Seasoned Member

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts
Year: 2000

Woo Hoo!!! I'm a reference in a post!!

It sounds like your issue is different than mine was. My blower would quit whenever it wanted. Every time I thought I fixed it, it worked for weeks and then started acting up again. I eventually replaced the blower motor a few months back and this seems to have solved my problem. I did noticed that the old blower motor was harder to turn than the new one, I also checked the ohms on the old vs new and it was higher on the old one.

I'm not sure if it was a typo in your post or not, but you said you the connectors are different. Are you sure you have the right blower motor?
Old 08-05-2018, 07:12 PM

Default Sorry that would be helpful.... 1999 XJ I6 4W

Originally Posted by cruiser54
what year is it?
Old 08-06-2018, 05:14 PM

Sorry, I should have posted it in the body.

It is a XJ I6 1999
Old 08-07-2018, 02:46 AM
awg
CF Veteran

Received 605 Likes on 515 Posts
Year: 96

Originally Posted by OldSaabaruGuy
At this point, it is undrivable since our temps are near 100 with 80+ humidity. THat turns my Jeep into a VERY heavy paper weight.
Me.
a fused wired of adequate size straight to the battery via a 30amp switch, to the selected area will get you on the road.

homemade long jumper wires with alligator probes are handy for diagnosing
Old 08-07-2018, 10:34 AM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

Look for melted wires near the blower motor resistor. A bad motor will cause those wires to melt and give you all sorts of headaches.