Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Arizona Overheating issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Arizona Overheating issue

Okay i have a 1995 xj with 33's a six inch long arm lift with stock gearing and i have been haveing the biggest problem overheating. After about a 10-15 miles city/freeway driving with ac on temp gets close to 250 ish with ac off its looks 235 range and in AZ its about 110 degrees outside. First problem was upper rad hose was collapeing so i replaced that and radiator cap and the return line that goes to the resivour. Temp numbers stayed about the same although the outside temps have increased since then. All fans and shrouds are working properly and my electric fan is just ran to constant power so its always on. havent tried the thermostat yet but i can watch my temp when im first leaving and see it rise to 200 and dramatically drop to 170 range (figuring thermostate opened) and then slowly climbs back up. I checked water pump and it is good and working properly and lastly i just ordered the champion 3 row all allumium radiator. hopeing that will help fix problem. and after reading i wish i woulda got the csf instead. any other suggestions that you think may help? my next try if still too hot would be hood vents.

Last edited by EBowen95; 06-11-2013 at 09:49 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997, 1993
Engine: 4.0L

Put an aux transmission cooler on. In warm weather it's a must regardless of what others say.

Check your coolant mix with a tester (you'd be surprised how many people are running an improper mix)

I'd lean towards the trans dumping heat into your radiator because of the 33's and stock gearing assuming you have an auto.

Last edited by xjsnake; 06-11-2013 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 06-12-2013, 12:31 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

Originally Posted by xjsnake
I'd lean towards the trans dumping heat into your radiator because of the 33's and stock gearing assuming you have an auto.
x2, couldn't agree more

I'd say you should completely bypass the factory cooler and run the transmission to an auxiliary cooler alone. This would very easily be done when you do the radiator swap.

You can get an auxiliary trans cooler pretty much anywhere too. I believe they sell em at any auto parts stores

And honestly, you should replace your thermostat and water pump at the same time of doing your radiator. You'll already have the coolant drained so you might as well
Old 06-12-2013, 12:37 AM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

Are you using overdrive on the freeway?
Old 06-12-2013, 07:18 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Get the radiator in there and when you install it, use a factory stat. 83501426AC. $23 from an honest dealer.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Get the radiator in there and when you install it, use a factory stat. 83501426AC. $23 from an honest dealer.
okay cool i will end up doing that you even think there will be a difference with the new radiator? and if im going to do an aux tranny cooler i was a tranny temp gauge anyone know a good kit for that and where would i install the temp sensor?
Old 06-12-2013, 03:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by EBowen95
Okay i have a 1995 xj with 33's a six inch long arm lift with stock gearing and i have been haveing the biggest problem overheating. After about a 10-15 miles city/freeway driving with ac on temp gets close to 250 ish with ac off its looks 235 range and in AZ its about 110 degrees outside. First problem was upper rad hose was collapeing so i replaced that and radiator cap and the return line that goes to the resivour. Temp numbers stayed about the same although the outside temps have increased since then. All fans and shrouds are working properly and my electric fan is just ran to constant power so its always on. havent tried the thermostat yet but i can watch my temp when im first leaving and see it rise to 200 and dramatically drop to 170 range (figuring thermostate opened) and then slowly climbs back up. I checked water pump and it is good and working properly and lastly i just ordered the champion 3 row all allumium radiator. hopeing that will help fix problem. and after reading i wish i woulda got the csf instead. any other suggestions that you think may help? my next try if still too hot would be hood vents.
Define working properly for fans how olds aux fan and clutch fan last replacement was ?
Old 06-12-2013, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by freegdr
Define working properly for fans how olds aux fan and clutch fan last replacement was ?
well both run (electric and motor fan) and blow good amount of air and stay on and fan shrouds are there aswell. i have had the jeep for almost two years and never touched it tho. have dont fan cluch and have no idea last time its been done. how can you tell if its bad?
Old 06-12-2013, 04:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

okay cool i will end up doing that you even think there will be a difference with the new radiator? and if im going to do an aux tranny cooler i was a tranny temp gauge anyone know a good kit for that and where would i install the temp sensor?
I don't have the link handy but B&M sells a tranny temp gauge that I'll be buying in the near future. Search Amazon, you'll find it there for about $50
Old 06-12-2013, 04:25 PM
CF Veteran

well both run (electric and motor fan) and blow good amount of air and stay on and fan shrouds are there aswell. i have had the jeep for almost two years and never touched it tho. have dont fan cluch and have no idea last time its been done. how can you tell if its bad?
When motors at operating temp shut it off and spin it should be stiff to turn ,me two years with you and no idea how many b4 id swap a new on one for peace of mind while rads being done. As for aux should be throwing a pretty good amount of air out .
Old 06-12-2013, 04:36 PM

When motors at operating temp shut it off and spin it should be stiff to turn ,me two years with you and no idea how many b4 id swap a new on one for peace of mind while rads being done. As for aux should be throwing a pretty good amount of air out .
okay went and checked it and i could spin it. with some ease as well and when its broken i like to upgrade so is there a better fan clutch? like grand cherokee fan clutch or something?
Old 06-12-2013, 04:55 PM
CF Veteran

okay went and checked it and i could spin it. with some ease as well and when its broken i like to upgrade so is there a better fan clutch? like grand cherokee fan clutch or something?
Yes im running the grand Cherokee clutch and the newer style Aux fan 9 blade instead of 5 just had to splice plug from old fan to new one . Never gets above 195 it don't get into the 100s here but it gets darn close. Im also running factory rad just open system instead of closed .
Old 06-12-2013, 05:03 PM

Yes im running the grand Cherokee clutch and the newer style Aux fan 9 blade instead of 5 just had to splice plug from old fan to new one . Never gets above 195 it don't get into the 100s here but it gets darn close. Im also running factory rad just open system instead of closed .
haha okay cool and yeah today is about 111 outside and its just gonna get hotter aha okay cool ima do that thanks!
Old 06-12-2013, 05:07 PM
CF Veteran

haha okay cool and yeah today is about 111 outside and its just gonna get hotter aha okay cool ima do that thanks!
It was 93 here two days ago in shade with noo breeze and humidity you could feel..
Old 06-12-2013, 06:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

dont you have to do some modification when you swap in a grand fan clutch??? curious because i have a 97 and the temps get up to to218 when at lows speeds.....

Quick Reply: Arizona Overheating issue