Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Any idea where this water is coming from?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 08:49 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6 (The best engine ever made)

Ive been noticing a puddle under the pedals in the floor, it's been happening for awhile. Is there something that connects to the firewall that has a gasket that's gone bad? Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Any idea where this water is coming from?-image-2803866884.jpg  
Old 06-24-2013, 09:12 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Is it water or antifreeze? Does it happen when you use the A/C, or just when it rains, etc? Usually see this on the passenger side...
Old 06-24-2013, 09:55 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by PocketsEmpty
Is it water or antifreeze? Does it happen when you use the A/C, or just when it rains, etc? Usually see this on the passenger side...
I've got it on both sides, and nope, just water... Whenever I wash it or it rains, can it be coming from that area on the hood with vents behind the firewall. (Where the wipers are)?
Old 06-24-2013, 10:04 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by pdowty68
I've got it on both sides, and nope, just water... Whenever I wash it or it rains, can it be coming from that area on the hood with vents behind the firewall. (Where the wipers are)?
It could indeed be coming from that area, known as the cowl. Have a look at this thread.

That may or may not be your issue, unfortunately it can be difficult to trace these leaks. I had a leak on my passenger side, and found it to be the windshield seal leaking. The windshield is essentially glued to the unibody, and over time with driving, flex can throw the windshield seal out of whack. I had my whole windshield resealed for about $130. Still leaked do to their shoddy work, but I was able to fix it by shooting some RTV windshield sealant into the affected corners.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:06 AM
Seasoned Member

My dads friend does windshields and it was leaking from the top rotting my headliner (bedlined now) and we replaced it last year because it was cracked anyway.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:30 AM
CF Veteran

My dads friend does windshields and it was leaking from the top rotting my headliner (bedlined now) and we replaced it last year because it was cracked anyway.
Mine was leaking from the top too. Very common. So, did you have these leaks before you had that done? If so, then maybe time to crack open the cowl and have a looksie with a hose handy.

Also, for passenger side, I've heard of leaks happening due to a bad blower motor gasket.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:25 AM
Seasoned Member

I've gotten a bucket and poured some water into the cowl and no leaks. I tried the same thbg around the brake booster and the ac/heater lines where they connect to the firewall. I'm gonna try it with the hose. I want to fix it before I put my carpet back in. Would some silicone around the questioned leaky areas help? Because I'd like to put my interior back in b/c it's all over my front porch right now...
Old 06-27-2013, 10:46 AM

Year: 1985
Engine: 2.5L

My 85 has been having wet carpet on the driver's side when it rains also. Pulled the carpet up and the foam behind the pedals is wet so I am sure it is coming down the firewall. Glad someone mentioned the cowl area to check I will be doing that this evening, didn't help that we had 6 inches of rain Monday in about 3 hours lol.

Thinking about pouring a packet of red Koolaid in the cowl area and filling with water to see if I get red water in the floor afterwards. If not then try around the windshield.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: I6 4.0L

Lucky for you it was the windshield. Very common for water to leak through the heater core area after sitting in the cowl area. Much worse scenario than a windshield if you ask me.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:50 PM
Seasoned Member

I seems to be coming from where the steering "shaft" attached to the firewall, the blower motor, and a few other places. Will some clear silicone from the inside help?
Old 06-27-2013, 11:39 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: I6 4.0

I seems to be coming from where the steering "shaft" attached to the firewall, the blower motor, and a few other places. Will some clear silicone from the inside help?
Same problem here. Brought it to Firestone to make sure it wasn't my heater core. They told me it is water getting in from the cowl area. I need to reseal it when it's nice out. But it's been chance of rain all week with humidity. Plus today I drove through one of the heaviest rain storms of the year. So it'll be a few days before I can fix mine.

I plan on putting in some towels to hold me over. By the way, it's times like these I'm glad I have floor liners. SeriousOffroad has them for cheap!
Old 06-28-2013, 08:04 AM
CF Veteran

How exactly is water getting to that point on the firewall, though? Maybe you can find where it's getting to it and stop it there.